Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Multitouch trackpad as mouse replacement.

Multitouch trackpad as mouse replacement.
Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2008, 01:27 PM

I've been having some mouse troubles lately (I can't find a mousing surface that my mouse gets along with), and it's occurred to me that I get along just fine and dandy with my trackpad on my laptop.

What I really need, I think, is a trackpad for my desktop. What if Apple shipped a multitouch trackpad that you could plugin into the right of your nice aluminum Apple keyboard ? One that matched the form factor, and just plugged into that suspiciously convenient USB port on the right or left side !

A Bluetooth version could be made available for people with the bluetooth keyboard.

The only possible problem I can see with this idea is that it's already a looong way over to the right of my keyboard, although really that's where my mouse lives at the moment so I suppose it's no further away that that.

bmwparamedic
Jan 19, 2008, 01:44 PM

From a ergonomic stand point that wouldn't be the best solution. What kind of mouse are you using and what are you using it on? Get yourself a decent mouse and a mouse pad.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2008, 10:47 PM

If you really want multitouch, then get the Fingerworks Touchstream keyboard. Unfortunately, they're no longer in production since Apple bought the company 3 years ago to develop the iPhone technology. However, if you're willing to spend the money, you can find a few of them on eBay.

Amazon.com: TouchStream LP QWERTY: Electronics
Selling my Fingerworks Touchstream ST
Keyboard Kraziness & Mouse Madness - Review: Typing With Gestures on the TouchStream ST
Ergoblog: FingerWorks TouchStream Keyboard Review

Fingerworks Touchstream LP Keyboard -Great Condition - eBay (item 260205395732 end time Jan-27-08 19:48:47 PST)
Fingerworks Touchstream LP QWERTY Keyboard - eBay (item 170189180446 end time Feb-02-08 18:31:37 PST)

Forum Links
Forum Rules