Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple ships Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Keyboard

Apple ships Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Keyboard
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 13, 2015, 09:34 AM

Apple has launched new "Magic" accessories for the Mac, shortly after they surfaced in code for the OS X 10.11.1 beta. The Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2 improve upon the original versions of each peripheral, while the Magic Keyboard joins the Magic range, with all three incorporating reusable lithium-ion batteries rechargeable over Lightning within two hours, replacing the previous reliance on removable AA batteries.

The Magic Keyboard borrows heavily from the Apple Wireless Keyboard, using an aluminum frame on top and a plastic base, with the major changes being the removal of the large battery tube on the rear, and an overall reduction in size of 13 percent. The scissor mechanism has been improved to provide 33 percent more key stability and to optimize key travel, while the letters and symbols on the keys have been changed to use the new San Francisco font.

The new battery system has allowed Apple to change the internal structure of the Magic Mouse 2, allowing it to have fewer moving parts compared to its predecessor. It is also lighter and sturdier than the earlier version, and has an optimized foot design allowing it to have a smoother glide. Magic Mouse 2 also includes a multi-touch surface, allowing for gestures to be made without requiring a separate Magic Trackpad.

Lastly, the Magic Trackpad 2 adds Force Touch to the device for the first time, including support for new gestures such as Force click. As well as using four force sensors in its body, the Magic Trackpad 2 has an edge-to-edge glass surface that's almost 30 percent larger than the earlier version, with it also having a lower profile design prompted by the battery change.

All of the new magic devices have a battery life of around one month when fully charged, and also include Bluetooth connectivity with automatic pairing and a usable range of up to 30 feet. Available now, the Magic Mouse 2 costs $79, the Magic Trackpad 2 for $129, and the Magic Keyboard for $99. Both the Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard will come as standard with new iMacs, with the Magic Trackpad 2 available as an optional extra.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM. )

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2015, 09:38 AM

$129 for the Magic Trackpad!!?? Really? I honestly envision them laughing as they pull these prices out of their ass.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 13, 2015, 10:24 AM

Yeah, we're... surprised at the price here in the MacNN newsroom.

pairof9s
Senior User
Oct 13, 2015, 10:49 AM

Yeah, nearly twice as much as the original, the TrackPad seems overpriced. I get the rechargeable batteries benefit, but not $60 worth. So I can only imagine the Force Touch feature is extraordinary...I've yet to see much less try it out. Don't think I'll start by getting a TrackPad to see.

JoePanic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2015, 11:50 AM

And still no extended keyboard? Yikes, Apple.

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2015, 12:10 PM

So I need 10.11 to use a bluetooth keyboard? Not quite sure why. Yes, I know support for the new peripherals is in El Capitan, but . . .

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2015, 06:50 PM

OldMacGeek: that confused me a while back (for previous BT 4.0 peripherals), so I asked. Turns out that its because of BT 4.2 power management. All these BT 4.0 things will *likely* connect to older machines, provided they have BT 4.0 on board (say 2012 and later), but the software requirement optimizes the interaction between peripheral and computer.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

mojkarma
Oct 14, 2015, 03:02 AM

Those prices, when you add european taxes on them, up to 25 or 27%, that will bring the mouse at a price level where you can buy a netbook. Simply ridiculous.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2015, 05:28 AM

What's a netbook?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2015, 05:33 AM

Also, the Magic Mouse 2 is 89€ including taxes. That's gotta be one hell of a "netbook".

Ham Sandwich
Oct 14, 2015, 01:47 PM

[1] Is the new keyboard a mistyper like the old one that also bends after a few weeks of frustrating use like my old one?

[2] Is the new keyboard so loaded up with metal that it feels ice cold and scratchy to use like the old one?

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2015, 02:46 PM

Not to mention the static shocks. I've got a bunch of users in the office that still refuse to use any of these metal keyboards, especially during the winter.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if those rubbery, crumb-protecting keyboard cover dealies are any good for that purpose. Hrmm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules