Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrade 10.2.1 to 10.2.8

upgrade 10.2.1 to 10.2.8
myrddin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 03:29 AM

Hi! My first posting so apologies if topic covered previously.

I bought my iBook (CD-Rom, 700mhz) last March. It has 10.2.1 installed. I want to upgrade to 10.2.8 as a lot of stuff needs OSX higher than 10.2.1.

The thing is, like most of us, I've put things in different folders from the defaults i.e. set up sub-folders in the main apps folder for 'Apple Applications', 'System Applications' etc. - you get the picture.

Is this going to be a problem when I run the combo upgrade installer suggested in software upgrade? Also, I have a number of login items such as Fruit Menu and such like. How best to go about an upgrade like this?

I thought I knew Macs and was ok up to OS9 but OSX scares me

TIA,
David
eMac 1.25 ghz, 768 mb ram, OSX 10.4.3

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 04:20 PM

Sorry about all the time spent on organizing your applications: If you're going to do an update, everything needs to be in its default location, you can't get around that as far as I know.

Also, you'd want to make sure you've got the very latest version of Fruit Menu, while checking to see if it's compatible, etc. Or you can just disable or trash it, while planning to reinstall it later.

Be sure to repair permissions and run fsck -y after the updates.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 05:13 PM

I think you'd be surprised to learn the "most of us" don't rearrange the Apple apps. We know that future updaters will be looking for them in the original places.

If you want to organize your apps, I would suggest throwing them all into the /Applications folder. Then in your home folder, make your own Applications folder and organize it to your heart's content using aliases of the real apps.

Chris

myrddin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2004, 03:47 AM

This is all good advice and much appreciated. Guess I was too familiar with OS9 and went in both feet first when I set up my iBook regarding the organisation of folders and files

So, if I want to go ahead with this upgrade, if I 'scrap' all the subfolders in my main Apps folder, putting all the appcns back loose in the Apps folder, and do the permissions thing etc.,the upgrade should work?

TIA,
David

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 12:08 PM

Yes, if you leave everything loose in the App folder, and remove or disable or update Fruit Menu (at least check its website for compatibility) the update should work. In addition to repairing permissions before the update, you should also run fsck -y

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Above all, be extra sure that you've got everything backed up.

After that, it all depends whether you or a friend have broadband access. It's frequently recommended that you use the Combo updater--which runs around 80 MB. You need broadband to download that! Also, once it's downloaded, it's a good idea to burn it onto CD for later reference or use.

myrddin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2004, 12:44 PM

Many thanks for the guidance and advice I may give it a go or might hang fire till I have another hd as a backup.

Regards,
David

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2004, 03:17 PM

As "amazing" said, it all should work. But backing is also smart.

Pretty soon you'll be as comfortable with OS X as you were with OS 9 and you won't look back. OS X is really very very good.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules