Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > SoF 2 - no cd and widescreen res?

SoF 2 - no cd and widescreen res?
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 03:35 AM

How can I get 1280x854 resolution? Also making an image does not work, it needs the cd, this is a problem since Freedom Force(also by macplay) also needs the cd and i only have one cd drive in my mac. Usually an image works, but macplay sucks. Is there any way around it?

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 11:57 AM

I do not know about the no cd thing, but sof2 multiplayer doesn't need a CD so it's no biggy. To do a widescreen resolution of your choice it is the same as any other Q3 based game. Go to Home/Library/Application Support/Soldier of Fortune 2 (MP for multi)/base/sof2(mp/sp).cfg Open it up, type at the bottom if the lines do not already exist "r_customwidth ####" "r_customheight ####" and then "r_mode -1" That should do it for any resolution.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 03:32 PM

SoF II is one of the few (only?) Quake 3 engine games that doesn't support custom resolutions.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 03:54 PM

uh no, i rememberd my quake 3 cfg change so I changed it and it worked just fine. Sadly I can't get the no cd thing to work. Damn those MacPlay punks! I just got toast 5 so i will try that later today.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 06:36 PM

Which mode are you playing, Single Player or Multiplayer? I've never been able to get custom resolutions working with SoF II MP, but SP works fine.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2003, 06:55 AM

single player for now. i don't see why multiplayer wouldn't work. i guess i'll try it later.

i solved the no-cd problem by mounting the the cd image using Toast Titanium 5.2. I wish I knew the method Toast Titanium uses so I could just type it into Terminal and mount it from there. It makes the mounted icon look like a CD and not a drive, which is correlated to it working.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 10:59 AM

bling bling! just wrote an applescript that tells toast titanium to mount the image, then quits toast titanium, then looks for a finder window called "Soldier of Fortune II" and closes it(mounting a cd pops up the cds window in finder), then starts the game. And the script is aliased to "sof2" so all I have to do is type "sof2" in terminal and I can play the game. So much easier than before

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
bling bling! just wrote an applescript that tells toast titanium to mount the image, then quits toast titanium, then looks for a finder window called "Soldier of Fortune II" and closes it(mounting a cd pops up the cds window in finder), then starts the game. And the script is aliased to "sof2" so all I have to do is type "sof2" in terminal and I can play the game. So much easier than before
Nice! You can probably wrap all that in another AppleScript so you just have to double click an item. I created a similar script for playing Diablo II that checks to see which OS you're running, mounts the appropriate disk image (OS 9 and OS X need different types of disk images) then launches the game.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 01:55 PM

yah i saved the script as an executable so all i have to do is double click on it and it runs the script. is this what you meant or did you mean something else?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
yah i saved the script as an executable so all i have to do is double click on it and it runs the script. is this what you meant or did you mean something else?
Ah, I see. I thought you meant you were only launching it via the terminal with your sof2 alias. My bad. Too early...

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 01:21 AM

Hey guys....

Can you help me do this disk image thing?

I have the retail SOFII and would like to play without having to use the CD. How do make a disk image? I noticed the button in Disk Utility in Panther, but am not daring enough to try it.

Also, does that screen resolution hack have to be typed in each time you play SOF, or just once?

Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 11:35 PM

well, i think you need Toast Titanium to mount the image, as mounting it with disk utility doesn't fool the game

pressing the new image button just lets you create a file on your hard disk that is an image of the cd, it'll be a .dmg file.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2003, 12:42 AM

Forum policy...no no-CD threads.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Forum Links
Forum Rules