Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM questions

RAM questions
babyjenk5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 04:02 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get more memory for my Powerbook: G4 15" 1.5ghz, currently with 512mb factory-installed RAM.

Now, some questions:

1. I've been looking at some online stores and while doing RAM searches, saw that some places have PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 15" and PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 15" (M9676LL/A) listed separately. Is there a difference? Also, am I correct in thinking that the M9676LL/A is the new Powerbook that came out a few months ago? (I have the older one)

2. I'm looking to have a combined RAM of at least 1gb. I see that it would be more economical to get two 512mb's than one 1gb. Would paying more for the 1gb be a better investment?

3. So far, the best deal I've found for the 1gb is from 4 All Memory. Is this site trustworthy? If I decide to go with two 512mb's, I'm thinking of going with Crucial. Are there other sites you'd recommend?

Thank you!

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 04:48 PM

1. M9676LL/A is the current 1.5GHz combo-drive powerbook. The superdrive variant is M9677LL/A. Yours is M9422LL/A. There is no difference for the RAM requirements of the 3.

2. If you have the 512MB from Apple, then you have 2 combined 256MB sticks (unless you specified otherwise). That said, if you buy a 512MB module, you will be limited to 768, and would then need to buy a second 512MB module for 1GB. Most economical in that case would be to buy a 1GB stick because it would put you at 1256MB of RAM off the bat. If your system did ship with a single 512MB stick, you could purchase a second 512MB and get to 1GB, but really why limit yourself? Then you have 2 sticks of the exact same RAM. IF you decided to upgrade later, you'd have to buy an additional 1GB stick to replace one of the 512's. Might as well get the GB. You can find deals if you search the forum for ~130 or so for a 1GB stick.

3. I swear by www.memoryx.net
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules