Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > IOS Mail Weirdness

IOS Mail Weirdness
Thorzdad
Jan 28, 2021, 05:50 PM

I have a dedicated Gmail account just for my iPad. Yesterday, I started getting bombarded by junk mail to that account. I thought that was weird, because Gmail has always been pretty good about filtering spam.

So, I went to the Gmail website to see why the mail hadn’t been filtered and to flag them so the system would learn. But, when I get in there, I see that the offending emails were, in fact, filtered and were in the Spam folder. Huh?

I get back into Mail on my iPad and noticed that the spam are all addressed to the same email account name but with an @aol.com domain. They were also CCed to the same aol address. Thing is, I don’t, nor have I ever, had an aol email address. And Mail on my iPad certainly isn’t set up to get mail at an aol address.

This is perplexing. Gmail correctly filtered the emails as spam, so they should not have been downloaded by Mail.app. Yet, there they are, in my Inbox, with aol.com addresses to boot.

Any ideas what’s going on here?

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2021, 09:24 PM

I don't know exactly how gmail works, but if mail is on a server... are you using mail app or gmail app?

{server} ----------- {ipad mail} (doesn't know what rules you have set up in gmail)
\---------------{gmail} (does spam filtering)

Thorzdad  (op)
Jan 28, 2021, 11:00 PM

I’m using Mail.app to pull mail from Gmail, and have been for years without a hitch.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2021, 04:44 PM

I’m also using Mail (on my MBP, my iPad and phone) for numerous Gmail accounts. No “suddenly getting spam” surges here. I did have a short period (maybe a couple of weeks) where normal, regular mailing list stuff didn’t show up, then suddenly (without me doing anything) I got al of those items all at once.

If it keeps this unfiltered surge up, I’d try deleting the account from your tablet and re-adding it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad  (op)
Feb 1, 2021, 06:55 PM

I’ve only gotten a couple of further mails like that since my post. Both to that aol address. Beats me. Delete/re-add might be an option, I guess.

John_Samuel128
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2021, 03:16 AM

It`s Friday!

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2021, 08:00 AM

Say wah?
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Forum Links
Forum Rules