Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > shapeshifter not theming finder

shapeshifter not theming finder
shahab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 09:57 PM

any idea why in shapeshifter2.2 on tiger 10.4.2 ..everything is getting themed except for finder
no luck troubleshooting it
:/

tried that and a plethora of other things

tried going back to 2.1 no luck

various rebooting/logging in and out
uninstalling/reinstalling
different themes
deleting the cache
etc

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 09:14 PM

It's not just ShapeShifter. WindowShade and FruitMenu also appear not to work specifically in the Finder.

shahab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 09:32 PM

i gave up and uninstalled it
=0)

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 11:21 PM

Actually, none of the Unsanity apps appear to work with Office X. I wonder if 10.4.2 introduced some issue with Carbon Apps? There must be some specific conflict or I expect we would've heard more complaints.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2005, 11:44 PM

mines working fine all of my haxies

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2005, 06:17 AM

I'm too lazy to link you to it, just like you're too lazy to search the forum for this topic and the actual existing fix for it.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hmmm, when you sat down at your keyboard and came to this thread, you had three choices: to be helpful, to ignore it because you had nothing of value to contribute, or to be an . Thanks for choosing the latter.

I did try the posted fix from this thread, which was to delete the preference files. Unfortunately, it did not work. Along with the other standard troubleshooting efforts.

In my case, it seems to be a global haxie thing. Where one doesn't work, neither do the others, like WindowShade and FruitMenu. And the apps in which the haxies aren't working seem to all be Carbon apps – the Finder, Word X, Explorer, FileMaker Pro 6, Gene Construction Kit, etc. I understand this isn't a universal problem for everyone, and may be specific to isolated systems. Thus, the utiltiy of this thread is to find those for whom it isn't working and see if we can find a fix.

I e-mailed Unsanity for suggestions, so hopefully I will have a solution soon.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2005, 02:10 PM

If more even all haxies seem to be infected, you might start to suspect the Application Enhancer. Have you checked for the latest version ? And perhaps reinstall this one ?
Good luck, hope you get things running again for you.

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2005, 03:17 PM

I have the latest version of Application Enhancer. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled that, as well as the haxies themselves...all to no avail. It's a little frustrating, but I will keep plugging away.

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 03:30 AM

Take a look at the Global Exclude list in the Application Enhancer preference pane. Maybe Finder somehow got added to it? Also, look in /Applications/Utilities/Console to see whether it's reporting anything that seems germane.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 10:07 AM

I've looked at the global exclude list, and it is empty for all haxies. I'll check in Console later tonight when I am home.

For me, it isn't just the Finder. It is all Carbon applications (Cocoa applications are unaffected). And it isn't limited to ShapeShifter, but FruitMenu and WindowShade as well. None of those haxies work in any Carbon app.

I am willing to concede that this is a problem specific to my one Powerbook. Everything seems to be working fine on my other one. I am trying to figure out what exactly is different between the two. It is extremely puzzling, and frustrating.

Because the behavior is limited to Carbon apps and not Cocoa apps, I wonder if their isn't some global setting the Application Enhancer uses for each of the two classes of apps, with the Carbon setting getting pooched.

I will keep plugging away until something fixes the problem.

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 09:55 PM

OK, I do see some errors for Shapeshifter in Console. Here is a portion of the readout:

SystemUIServer[258]: ShapeShifter: Could not contact CacheManager port. Error -1
UniversalAccess[271]: ShapeShifter: Could not contact CacheManager port. Error -1
Dock[255]: ShapeShifter: Could not contact CacheManager port. Error -1
SystemUIServer[258]: ShapeShifter: could not launch cache manager, Error 9
SystemUIServer[258]: ShapeShifter APE error: "ShapeShifter could not communicate with the Cache Manager daemon" in file "/Users/smeger/Documents/src/ShapeShifter/Sources/Common/CacheManagerInterface.cpp", line 104
UniversalAccess[271]: ShapeShifter: could not launch cache manager, Error 9
UniversalAccess[271]: ShapeShifter APE error: "ShapeShifter could not communicate with the Cache Manager daemon" in file "/Users/smeger/Documents/src/ShapeShifter/Sources/Common/CacheManagerInterface.cpp", line 104
Dock[255]: ShapeShifter: could not launch cache manager, Error 9
Dock[255]: ShapeShifter APE error: "ShapeShifter could not communicate with the Cache Manager daemon" in file "/Users/smeger/Documents/src/ShapeShifter/Sources/Common/CacheManagerInterface.cpp", line 104

Definitely strange to see an attempt to access you on my machine, but perhaps that is left over from your coding? Is that informative? FWIW, I looked in the Console on my other Powerbook and don't see these errors being reported.

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 09:25 PM

Would a list of running apps and processes help too?

nerd
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 08:30 PM

Same problem here. The finder doesn't get the new skin. I also tried Topo which is a carbon app and it also doesn't get the themes applied.

Brad

nerd
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 10:25 PM

okay, I got home and installed Shapeshifter on my G5 running 10.4.2, same OS as the powerbook. The finder and other carbon apps are themed. I guess I have to dig into this some more on the powerbook.

Brad
( Last edited by nerd; Sep 23, 2005 at 10:56 PM. )

Ookla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 10:34 PM

I remembered installing the 10.4.2 update on the PowerBook that had eventually had the problem while backing up with Deja Vu (which uses psync). On the PowerBook that worked, I installed 10.4.2 without anything running. I decided that perhaps something got munged during the install on the problematic PowerBook. Unfortunately, I couldn't trace anything down that was easily fixed.

I was able to fix the problem, but it required a reinstall of 10.4 (I did archive and install), then upgraded to 10.4.2. I archived so that I could move everything back, except the haxies, which I also reinstalled. Now everything works fine.

Wish I had an easier fix (I tried everything I could, but nothing worked), or a clue as to why the haxies had problems.

Good Luck!

meem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 03:59 PM

Return Shapeshifter to all defaults then Delete SS preference files then reapply themes. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and it has always worked

nerd
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 09:51 PM

I got an email back from Unsanity and they said it's a known bug that will be addressed in the next update.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by kwyjiboy
I'm too lazy to link you to it, just like you're too lazy to search the forum for this topic and the actual existing fix for it.

What was the point of this?

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2005, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by nerd
I got an email back from Unsanity and they said it's a known bug that will be addressed in the next update.
Do you have default folder installed? Is Shapeshifter or any other ape installed for all users?

nerd
Senior User
Oct 6, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyna
Do you have default folder installed? Is Shapeshifter or any other ape installed for all users?
No Default Folder installed. APE is installed for all users. Shapeshifter and Mighty Mouse are installed only for me.

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by nerd
No Default Folder installed. APE is installed for all users. Shapeshifter and Mighty Mouse are installed only for me.

If you look in the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) does it mention anything about CrashGuard when you relaunch the finder?

nerd
Senior User
Oct 8, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyna
If you look in the Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) does it mention anything about CrashGuard when you relaunch the finder?
Nothing about CrashGaurd in the console when ShapeShifter restarts the finder. I even looked after manually restarting the finder.

Brad

adam62
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 05:37 PM

Had the same problem. Deleting the other preference panes took care of it.

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 07:54 PM

Deleting preference panes won't do anything. The APEs are not stored in the preference panes. Nor are any settings. The prefpanes are simply interfaces to change the settings. Deleting them also won't change any settings/

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2005, 10:50 AM

at leat yours themes something. my shapeshifter doesnt even theme anything. it says it does but it stays at default . i tried reinstalling and got nothing.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2005, 06:07 PM

I experienced this too (10.4.2, all APE's) - the finder and quicktime player would not load any haxies. Strange cause quicktime player is cocoa these days...

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

sequoia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by meem
Return Shapeshifter to all defaults then Delete SS preference files then reapply themes. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and it has always worked
I was so happy to find your thread as I've been having the same problems.
but what exactly does th pref files look like? is this the one com.unsanity.shapeshifter.prefpane.plist[COLOR=Red]

thanks

kick52
Baninated
Oct 30, 2005, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by kwyjiboy
search gives 404

Forum Links
Forum Rules