Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple didn't fix my MBP whine

Apple didn't fix my MBP whine
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2006, 05:52 PM

I am very upset after just opening the box from applecare with my MBP in it and finding that my MBP Still has the exact same, just as loud, whine which I sent it in for. Seems like all of the 15" MBP are getting fixed but apple is just tossing aside the 17" ones. What bugs me EVEN MORE is that apple kept my MBP On hold for almost 3 weeks!!! Awaiting a needed part ... I seriously doubt that the hq apple repair center was missing a part for that long. Anyway, here is the invoice with the parts they replaced:

FAN ASSY, LT, M9
FAN ASSY, RT, M9
PCBA, 2.16 GHZ, 256VRAM, M9
TOP CASE MODULE ASSY, M9
BAT, LITHION, 68 WHR, PLY, SMPLO/ATL,MBPRO17"

I dont know why they replaced the fan, but I haven't tested how hot it gets yet. I just opened the box ... Can anybody tell me what PCBA is??? Every time I called, Apple said that they were awaiting a part, specifically, the Main Logic Board. Is it just me or do I not see a logic board replacement? And why did they replace my battery? I'm going to be giving them a call ...

Also, if this is a new battery, do I need to recalibrate it.

ibook_steve
Aug 9, 2006, 05:56 PM

PCB = Printed Circuit Board = main logic board

Don't worry about the A.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2006, 07:12 PM

I seriously believe it DID take that long to get a logic board for such a new computer. Now you need to call Apple and tell them "the problem I sent my computer in for is still there." Start complaining and keep it up until you get satisfaction or they tell you that your warranty has expired-then complain that they burned up your warranty without fixing the problem.

Squeaky wheels get more attention.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2006, 12:43 AM

Haha thats true. Anyway, it seems like I spoke too soon. After a restart, the computer appears to be stealthy quiet now. I don't know why it took a restart to make it act right. Beforehand, on the first boot, the thing was louder than ever before. But I don't know if this is to last so we'll see how it goes.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 01:16 AM

it was just warming up . anyways, i took my powerbook in the other day and the lady at the genius bar said that they, the people at the apple store, would test it to make sure the problem was resolved.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2006, 05:04 AM

Good luck with that. Speaking of my MBP ... yeah the whine wasn't gone, I forgot that I had a backup thing going on in the background so the processor was in use. Now whine is back

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 PM

Yeah good luck with your issue. Maybe they don't have a replacement ready yet? That might be naive thinking though..
Here's what they replaced in mine:
616-0288 BAT,LITH,60WHR,PLYMR,Sony NPH2,M1:CH
630-7705 SVC,MLB,2.0GHZ,256VRAM(M1-CAP)MBP15"
593-0290 CBL,TEMP SNSR,RT,FINSTACK,M1
593-0233 CBL,TEMP SNSR,HEATPIPE,M1

It runs cooler and there is finally no whine. I took my unit in several about 3 times already before, one for the whine and twice for a defective hard drive (one time they couldn't reproduce the issue so they just sent it back).
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

skyman
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 12:15 AM

Apple replaced my MacBook Pro 5 times before I received one without the whine or overheating problem. But the 5th one is perfect (so far)
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by RealMac
Yeah good luck with your issue. Maybe they don't have a replacement ready yet? That might be naive thinking though..
Here's what they replaced in mine:
616-0288 BAT,LITH,60WHR,PLYMR,Sony NPH2,M1:CH
630-7705 SVC,MLB,2.0GHZ,256VRAM(M1-CAP)MBP15"
593-0290 CBL,TEMP SNSR,RT,FINSTACK,M1
593-0233 CBL,TEMP SNSR,HEATPIPE,M1

It runs cooler and there is finally no whine. I took my unit in several about 3 times already before, one for the whine and twice for a defective hard drive (one time they couldn't reproduce the issue so they just sent it back).

Yeah thats the same story over and over and over on the apple discussion thread. Thats what made me think I could finally get it fixed. Alas, EVERYONE who reported the whine getting fixed is a 15" model and the apple one sentence article is for noise from a 15" MBP and the 17" MBP is not mentioned. My apple rep even said it is a known issue for a 15" but not the 17" ...... bs, just because not enough 17"ers complained to apple. Anyway, I only want to send it back again if it will come back fixed as I'm going to need it very soon.

edit; another thing, the tech that was workin on my mbp seemed to just play with my mbp . I opened photobooth to see if that would silence the whine and lo and behold, is the top half of my tech's face and the ceiling of the repair center building. It looks like basically a huge warehouse like an empty Costco building. I'm gussing there are tables everywhere with techs at each stations working on a repair. Now i'm wondering how are they suppose to hear the whine when it is only heard in a quiet environment ?? Did he even listen to it after he put the new MLB in? Why do they send back machines with the same EXACt symptoms ??

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2006, 07:00 AM

Hmmm, you could try sending an e-mail to [email protected]

A big warehouse type repair center? Thats exactly how I thought they'd be

Forum Links
Forum Rules