Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problem with MBP C2D

Problem with MBP C2D
Mike Peel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 07:18 AM

Hello all,

I just received a new MBP C2D 2.16GHz (standard + 160GB HD). After migrating everything over to it, with no apparent problems, I hooked it up to an external screen. Suddenly, the MBP's screen had a lot of randomly-appearing white streaks, normally atached to the edge of a couple of Finder windows I had open at the time. When I disconnected the external screen, things got worse - the whole display turned into a double-image.

Intending to phone Apple and complain, I put the computer into standby, turned it over and took the battery out to read the serial number. I then realised that I hadn't plugged it in, so when I turned it back over the MBP had turned off. Starting it up again, the problem seems to have gone.

I'm going to an AppleStore later today anyway, to ask about a couple of problems with my old computer before I sell it on, so I'll talk to them about this computer at the same time. Should I insist that they take it back and make sure the problem's sorted, or should I just keep using the computer hoping that the problem doesn't reoccur? Can anyone here tell me what's likely gone wrong? (I'm guessing a fault with the graphics chip)

Incidentally, there also seems to be a small problem with the ethernet port - the clip on the ethernet cable doesn't clip in fully. Is that normal on MBP's? It's something I can live with if not, but if the computer needs to go back anyway I may as well get Apple to sort it out too.

Thanks,
Mike Peel
( Last edited by Mike Peel; Nov 9, 2006 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Spelling)
My website: MikePeel.net

ibook_steve
Nov 9, 2006, 02:20 PM

Definitely graphics chip. You'll probably have the problem whenever you're running for a while, heating the chip up. Get that replaced.

With the ethernet, is it like that with all ethernet cables?

Steve

flanders
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2006, 11:20 AM

Your graphics issue with the external display attached is a known (at least around here) problem for MBP CDs. I'm surprised you have it on a new C2D, but a lot of us may have it and never know without attaching an external display. Definitely take it to an Apple store and have it either replaced or repaired. It's a hardware issue, so it won't go away that I know of.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

Mike Peel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 11:31 AM

Update: the problem seemed to happen whenever the computer got warm. I was able to easily reproduce the problem after running SETI on the computer for about 20 mins. I'm returning the computer, and have a replacement on order (exact same specs, hopefully sans problem). The downside is that it'll take about 10 days for the new computer to get here, during which time I'm stuck with the old system. Such is life, I guess.
My website: MikePeel.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules