Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo: Reach

View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Poll Options:
Well, yeah! 7 votes (38.89%)
Probably. It's not at the top of my list though. 2 votes (11.11%)
Nope. I hate Halo. 6 votes (33.33%)
I'm holding off; I don't know if I'm interested anymore 3 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Halo: Reach (Page 11)
Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That was likely me. That first head hunter game was cruel. If I wasn't dying everyone was getting, uh, head, before I could.
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I think all of us were letting F-bombs fly for most of the night. Also I say jesus Christ and god dammit a lot, sorry Church-boy
Please don't apologize for language. Christians who never hang out with non-Christians are useless Christians. The same goes for XBL and PSN, I'd say.

If anything, Dakar, you didn't swear enough when I collected your skull three times.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 02:51 PM

I believe the correct terminology is "getting head" KTHXBYE

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 02:54 PM

Definitely go with Forge World for one of the smaller maps. The only one I took a look at was an indoor environment that was perfect for 2v2 games.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 02:56 PM

I believe the correct terminology is "getting head" KTHXBYE
Ba Dum Tish

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2010, 03:34 PM

I saw this posted over at the Bungie forums:

Best Skyjack I've ever seen

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 03:41 PM

Unbelievable.

I love how he melees him all the way through at the end.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 04:26 PM

This should give fatty a huge anti-boner:

Bungie.net : Halo Reach : File Details

It's a Gears of War map remade for Halo1

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 22, 2010, 06:22 PM

I downloaded a map thats a replica of facility from goldeneye, it's pretty spot on, we need to give it a run,

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 06:23 PM

I remember doing that in 3. Good lord was it ugly (and hard to navigate)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 06:39 PM

Just burned 4 hours on the center base, which has turned into two bases connected by a sky walkway. Lines of sight from base to base have been totally removed. Vehicles must pass through the far edges, where the walls end, or the cluttered center between two bases. Cover has been provided at both cliffs and a new walkway has been constructed at the tunnel cliffside to mimic the other side more. High-powered man cannons placed at the mid-point between home base and center bases that deliver you to the opposing base top. Teleporter exit has been tweaked to be behind the 'great wall' facing into your own center base. Grav lifts placed at ground level of both center bases allowing access to the skyway. All excess rocks have been removed, may add some in later.

The new forge tools make it MUCH easier to build than before.

I'd like input tonight, dakar, if you don't mind running around in my map a bit. Buildings were more or less easy to develop, but I'd like suggestions on:

Which weapons should be on the map and where they should spawn
Finalize vehicle roster
Delete all player spawns and totally re-tool them around the new map.
Mid-points between bases are bland, maybe some smaller structures should be added.

...and of course anything I've forgotten.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 06:41 PM

Quick shot of the much, much, much more interesting center of the map. Both bases are (more or less) symmetrical.

I'll be continuing to tweak, anyone interesting in running around jump into my lobby.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 06:43 PM

Interesting.

Edit: Ugh, 4 hours.

Also, seems difficult to get a feel for scale there.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 06:51 PM

It's huge. Jump on in to get a better look.

Also 4 hours may be because I have a penchant for hitting 'Y' (delete) to switch from editing to Spartan mode. Can't say how many times I got something perfectly into place only to delete it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 06:52 PM

I'm still at work.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 07:01 PM

boooo

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2010, 07:26 PM

I'd like to check it out if you're still on when I get home tonight. I'll be venturing into map making this weekend, once I hit diamond 2v2 on SC...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2010, 08:17 PM

Fatty's done some nice work. While I'm not enamored with the map overall, he created some good structures/battlements that I'd like to replicate. Also, given the nasty placement of the hills, I may be forced into compromising on placement more than I'd like. I could easily see the first playable version taking up to 8 hours to create.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 22, 2010, 08:23 PM

Fatty did you put this in your file share so I can check it out? That middle structure looks pretty decent

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 08:25 PM

Yep, it's in the file share.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 10:47 AM

So I definitely realized the biggest difference between 3 and Reach last night. Customs. We had 11 people at one point and there was nothing I could think of that I wanted to try in customs. I didn't even have a favorite scenario/map to want to play. This. is. crazy.

On the plus side, since Ranked slayer doesn't exist and BTB is kinda lacking, putting ourselves into a full Team Slayer lobby and getting cR for beating the piss out of each other (and more importantly, allowing matchmaking to create the scenarios rather than worry about it myself) is rather fun. If we have a full lobby I might be willing to give the objective playlist a try as well (Headhunter feels like it has potential).

Still, I'm looking forward to forging my great wall map. I think there's potential for me to create a great Invasion scenario in the vein of the old Assault Mode from TimeSplitters 2.

Lastly, a few of us have certainly not adjusted well to the friendly fire. Not so much with the explosives, but in the frantic if not melee-ridden CQB. It's kinda sucky.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 10:53 AM

Oh, quick observation: It feels like extraneous and power weapons are placed and made available much more sparingly than 3 (hence why I called this game "vanilla" a day or two ago).

...and it looks like a Firefight night tonight. Kinda excited since we didn't play last night.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 12:50 PM

I think we could easily get a full lobby for BTB one of these nights. Last night my buddy had a lobby of 6 when we had 12. Tell me that wouldn't kick total ass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 12:52 PM

It'd kick more ass if BTB was any good.

Edit: Just wait till they add vs. Firefight

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2010, 02:20 PM

It'd kick more ass if BTB was any good.
I find BTB better if your going it alone. It seems about half the time I go into Slayer or Objective, that 1 or 2 people quit, and when you're a team of 4, every person counts. I've had many games go 2 vs 4 or 3 vs 4, where I'm on the team that is short a person(s) and we lose by 2-4 points. It's frustrating.

With you guys bringing your own team, I can see Slayer or Objective is better due to the map selection.

I'll have to download Fatty's map, and check it out.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 04:55 PM

Sek, I'm curious, any thoughts on the cliffs. I can decide whether to add access or to what. Definitely what to avoid snipers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 05:32 PM

Also, the first Halo Reach Mythbusters is on Youtube.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2010, 06:16 PM

...and it looks like a Firefight night tonight. Kinda excited since we didn't play last night.
Damn, I won't be until late tonight. Looks like I'm going to miss out on the Firefight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 06:38 PM

Maybe access to the cliffs will reveal a Banshee on one side and a Hornet on the other? Maybe mancannon up there and then have a teleporter that shoots you to inside the other team's base? You could have a CQB weapon spawn there in that case.

I know you said you weren't fond of teleporters, however anything but and it becomes a one-way-trip if the flying machines aren't there. Perhaps there could be a very convoluted set of ramps leading up there that favor one base over the other for each side?

Either way, I think each side should have its own goodies.

Of course if you implement a proper Great Wall (not my fragmented version) then maybe the only way to get from one side to the other (on foot at least) will be via the cliff-walk?

Edit: I think this map, edited well, could yield a very fun CTF custom game variant when we have enough players. In fact, when I was designing and whatnot I kept in mind the flow that usually happens during a CTF game. IMO designing a map suited for Objective games is easier than Slayer.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Damn, I won't be until late tonight. Looks like I'm going to miss out on the Firefight.
Oh, on the subject of challenges, how ****ed up is it that the Daily Challenge is worth more than the weekly?! (which wasn't all that hard, either)

Maybe access to the cliffs will reveal a Banshee on one side and a Hornet on the other? Maybe mancannon up there and then have a teleporter that shoots you to inside the other team's base? You could have a CQB weapon spawn there in that case.

I know you said you weren't fond of teleporters, however anything but and it becomes a one-way-trip if the flying machines aren't there. Perhaps there could be a very convoluted set of ramps leading up there that favor one base over the other for each side?

Either way, I think each side should have its own goodies.

Of course if you implement a proper Great Wall (not my fragmented version) then maybe the only way to get from one side to the other (on foot at least) will be via the cliff-walk?

Edit: I think this map, edited well, could yield a very fun CTF custom game variant when we have enough players. In fact, when I was designing and whatnot I kept in mind the flow that usually happens during a CTF game. IMO designing a map suited for Objective games is easier than Slayer.
I'm ok with teleporters in that situation.

As far as the permanence of the wall, my original plan allowed you to scale it on foot when got to the edges.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 06:55 PM

Would the wall be, in and of itself, a structure with cover/weapons/etc?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2010, 06:56 PM

Yes. It will not only be divider, but structure of defensive interest. Much like the hill on Valhalla, it will be advantageous to hold (if not the focus)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 07:02 PM

Interesting.

Makes sense since the current bases hold absolutely zero interest from a domination standpoint. Maybe once you get to, and scale, the wall/structure there could be some mancannons/teleporters that would allow you access to places of interest around the map.

Imagine we are holding the wall while that jerk bogues and co. try and out us. We see their Warthog or whatever has respawned and we hop onto a cannon or teleport right to their base and snag it. This also helps the weapon situation as once you hold the wall you can head to wherever your weapon of choice spawns, instead of having the good stuff spawn right inside the wall itself, making there no reason to leave.

Im still not sure that you'll be able to implement the high cliffs without making it a total schlep for little reward. Ironically, it is one of the better places to have the sniper spawn, as someone would have to put in a great deal of effort to even get it. Of course, if we are talking custom games here, once I know it's there I'd spend every ounce of effort to park my ass up there and make life a living hell for everyone else.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2010, 07:52 PM

Oh, on the subject of challenges, how ****ed up is it that the Daily Challenge is worth more than the weekly?! (which wasn't all that hard, either)
Yeah, that is ****ed up. Considering the previous weekly challenge was worth 5,000 cr.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2010, 07:53 PM

Went for it and deleted the vanilla base in total, except for the teleporter. Threw together a quick structure with a few exits and/or entrances, a new place for the vehicles to spawn and I dare say this structure easily tops my previous work and is far more simple. Culled spawn area vehicles to 4 (Warthog, Ghost, Covenant Thingy, Mongoose) and put them in a neat arrangement.

Behold!

Fileshare map has been updated too, though only one base has been changed over, if the overall reaction to the new base is positive I can easily re-create it. It wasn't nearly as involved, yes, but this only took my 15-20 minutes. I think I'm getting faster at this Forge thing.

Also, bogues, I left your up-high platform because I think it looks cool and I have ideas about a high cliffside Banshee area.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 23, 2010, 09:17 PM

Dude base looks awesome! I'll have to download and take a look around.

Honestly I used our forge game to get a feel for some of the new features of forge, they really have improved the ability to make great structures/maps

Although I do like that sniper tower I made

The lockout remake I downloaded yesterday is proof you can make maps just as good as bungie did/does with the tools, the remake I found on file share was absolutly perfect and build entirely in air above forge world

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 23, 2010, 09:19 PM

Yeah, that is ****ed up. Considering the previous weekly challenge was worth 5,000 cr.
Here's hoping they utilize that weekly for some challenging options worth 5 or 10k

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2010, 09:45 PM

I have now seen the stupidest team in BTB CTF ever. On hemorage, everyone spawns in, and what do I see but 1 guy jumping in the tank and 4 guys running after him shooting and grenading him. And of all things, I had to be on their team.

That's gotta be the worse team I EVER saw.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2010, 05:02 AM

Saw this over at xbox360achievements.org. I just cracked 78,000 myself. It's going to be awhile before I get that Lt. Colonel achievement.

Halo Reach Ranks

Here is a list of the ranks and how much cR difference there is in between each one:
Rank Credits
Private 7,500 cR
Corporal 10,000 cR (+2,500 cR)
Corporal: Grade 1 15,000 cR (+5,000 cR)
Sergeant 20,000 cR (+5,000 cR)
Sergeant: Grade 1 26,250 cR (+6,250 cR)
Sergeant: Grade 2 32,500 cR (+6,250 cR)
Warrant Officer 45,000 cR (+12500 cR)
Warrant Officer: Grade 1 78,000 cR (+33,000 cR)
Warrant Officer: Grade 2 111,000 cR (+33,000 cR)
Warrant Officer: Grade 3 144,000 cR (+33,000 cR)
Captain 210,000 cR (+99,000 cR)
Captain: Grade 1 233,000 cR (+23,000 cR)
Captain: Grade 2 256,000 cR (+23,000 cR)
Captain: Grade 3 279,000 cR (+23,000 cR)
Major 325,000 cR (+46,000 cR)
Major: Grade 1 350,000 cR (+25,000 cR)
Major: Grade 2 375,000 cR (+25,000 cR)
Major: Grade 3 400,000 cR (+25,000 cR)
Lt. Colonel 450,000 cR (+50,000 cR)
Lt. Colonel: Grade 1 480,000 cR (+30,000 cR)
Lt. Colonel: Grade 2 510,000 cR (+30,000 cR)
Lt. Colonel: Grade 3 [B]540,000 cR (+30,000 cR)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 09:45 AM

I'm around 48,000 and just spent my first CR on some shoulder pads.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I have now seen the stupidest team in BTB CTF ever. On hemorage, everyone spawns in, and what do I see but 1 guy jumping in the tank and 4 guys running after him shooting and grenading him. And of all things, I had to be on their team.

That's gotta be the worse team I EVER saw.
Welcome to Halo, we hope you enjoy your stay.

Saw this over at xbox360achievements.org. I just cracked 78,000 myself. It's going to be awhile before I get that Lt. Colonel achievement.
Didn't realize that was an achievement. Given that Warrant Officer is the biggest grind of them all, I suppose it's not outside the realm of attainability.

Makes sense since the current bases hold absolutely zero interest from a domination standpoint. Maybe once you get to, and scale, the wall/structure there could be some mancannons/teleporters that would allow you access to places of interest around the map.
If I ever finish the wall I have some ideas for improved bases as well; A three-tier tower which includes a rear facing garage for vehicles on the first floor, a general lobby on the second, and a landing pad on top.

Im still not sure that you'll be able to implement the high cliffs without making it a total schlep for little reward. Ironically, it is one of the better places to have the sniper spawn, as someone would have to put in a great deal of effort to even get it. Of course, if we are talking custom games here, once I know it's there I'd spend every ounce of effort to park my ass up there and make life a living hell for everyone else.
Don't forget my Sandtrap variant had a sniper spawn at the best possible location (side hill). I just made sure there were two more to counter it.

---

So I briefly stepped into Forge last night. The ability to move objects on axis is mega clutch. I've built a decent proto-type for part of the wall, but I'm running into trouble as there's no good way to design an arch/entryway.

Hopefully after an hour or two in Forge this weekend I'll have something worth taking a screen of and posting.

Edit: Oh yeah, sek I was talking abut easy entry from the sides, but now I'm thinking about Guard towers on end tails of the structure.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 24, 2010, 11:20 AM

If I ever finish the wall I have some ideas for improved bases as well; A three-tier tower which includes a rear facing garage for vehicles on the first floor, a general lobby on the second, and a landing pad.
Hmm sounds like a pretty nice condo, let me know when it's done I'll like to move in, make sure there's some seating and a TV in that general lobby,

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 11:23 AM

Did I mention the Hot Chicks Room? It'll have one of those, too.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 11:23 AM

Welcome to Halo, we hope you enjoy your stay.
With teams like that, my stay might not be long.

I wanna try some Firefight this weekend. That should be fun. How can I go wrong there. Hopefully I won't be the worst player there.

If I ever finish the wall I have some ideas for improved bases as well; A three-tier tower which includes a rear facing garage for vehicles on the first floor, a general lobby on the second, and a landing pad on top.

Don't forget my Sandtrap variant had a sniper spawn at the best possible location (side hill). I just made sure there were two more to counter it.
I look forward to playing some of these custom maps....
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2010, 11:25 AM

Did I mention the Hot Chicks Room? It'll have one of those, too.
Now you're starting to remind me of UT2004 on the Mac... There were a few good maps with posters of some Hot Babes.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 11:29 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
With teams like that, my stay might not be long.
I'm waiting for the first story of someone getting betrayed for the sniper rifle. It's long overdue.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2010, 12:30 PM

The first night I played somebody was after me for the sniper rifle. What I love is the people who kill you after you've shot a clip, now they betrayed you for a half-empty sniper, well done.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 12:34 PM

Here's a good idea of what's available to build with.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2010, 12:39 PM

I need to incorporate that die somewhere.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2010, 04:30 PM

When I get home, I'm gonna Forge so hard...

Forum Links
Forum Rules