Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo: Reach

View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Poll Options:
Well, yeah! 7 votes (38.89%)
Probably. It's not at the top of my list though. 2 votes (11.11%)
Nope. I hate Halo. 6 votes (33.33%)
I'm holding off; I don't know if I'm interested anymore 3 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Halo: Reach (Page 3)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
But we're just talking actual gameplay.
Yeah, I should have known.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
*crickets*

I am moving the cursor over that hideous green button right now.
I'll dust off the old MW2 disk for tonight. Bogues, Kav1ka, Jawbone? (Who else am I missing?)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 9, 2010, 06:41 PM

. I love you Bogues, but you are not a reliable online partner. I like to squeeze as much enjoyment out of a game as possible, and both choices rely HEAVILY on multiplayer content for me. I can enjoy Zombies by my lonesome, but as far as matchmaking in both games I probably won't play unless someone I know is on, and Dakar is always on.
I don't blame you, i wish i could be a reliable online partner! life "is all up in my grill" and i much MUCH prefer gaming to life.

But on a side note, if you and/or dakar get Reach, i'll be excited to get some gaming time in.
not to mention we all know if enough people are playing black ops i'll go buy it just so i can talk in the forum...

you are buying Vegas right?! so we can discuss the matters of the wasteland

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2010, 07:09 PM

I'm down if we get a few. I literally haven't played in 2+ months.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
you are buying Vegas right?! so we can discuss the matters of the wasteland
There is no game I will play harder than Vegas.

One day I played F3 for 9 hours without taking noticeably long breaks. When I stood up to go to the bathroom I realized I had neglected to eat dinner, and was feeling quite dizzy.

No other game could make me skip eating, I love eating.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2010, 10:42 PM

Holy crap, it took me like 20 min to read the responses today on this thread alone.

I will be buying both games and I'm really liking what I see on both games. I'm definitely going to be playing much more multiplayer this time around. The only thing that sucks is that when I get online it's after midnight on the east coast.

Seriously, between work and family life, I find it much harder to get good gaming time in. Can't play violent games while my daughter is watching ya know?

Plus, football season has started. There goes my Sunday afternoon sessions while my daughter is napping.

You get in on Zombies, Stogie
Me too? Pretty please!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 10, 2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Really, how much less could you care?
I could care less whether you accept that form or not.

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
He lives online... like the lawnmower man!
Less willingly than you guys realize.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 10, 2010, 02:08 PM

If the regular game ships with one new Zombie scenario, and a promise of more in the future then it is bought, no matter what the multi following is here.
How many did the old one ship with?

Given the fervor people had for that mode I think its inclusion and subsequent DLC is a foregone conclusion.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2010, 05:32 PM

The original came with one map, only unlockable after the entire campaign. Eventually then made it unlock immediately with an update.

Rumor
Sep 10, 2010, 05:34 PM

I am just not excited about Halo. Never got into it.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 10, 2010, 05:35 PM

The original came with one map, only unlockable after the entire campaign. Eventually then made it unlock immediately with an update.
Yeah, dick move.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2010, 03:28 PM

The review embargo is lifted tonight, I believe at 12:00 EST. I'll be reading for sure.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2010, 03:32 PM

One review so far:

Game Informer: 95

Any disappointment series fans felt after ODST should be completely washed away thanks to Reach. Make no mistake about it - this is the true follow-up to Halo 3. It's also a perfect way for Bungie to part with the series it turned into a phenomenon. [Oct 2010, p.92]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2010, 03:57 PM

Please. Franchises like this don't get bad reviews.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 12:32 AM

"No you can't stop Debbie... Downer."

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2010, 12:50 AM

9.5 - IGN

All told, the multiplayer suite is one of the best ever. The Halo multiplayer game has been expanding since the early days of the original Xbox, and now it's hit a point where the amount of , flexibility, number of modes, and potential for fun is just out of this world. Very few other games can compete with this level of polish, presentation, and attention to detail. And just when you think you've seen it all, don't forget to hop on to bungie.net to find extra stats, shared in-game screenshots and movies, and a vibrant community ready to help you extend the life of your game for months and months.
1UP - A+

Bungie has managed to do something that eluded George Lucas years ago: create a prequel to a beloved sci-fi series that not only simply works, but is at times better than the installments it precedes. After spending ten hours with the campaign, and another eight or so with the multiplayer, it's already clear that for their exit from the Halo franchise, the developers at Bungie have crafted a fine sendoff in Halo: Reach.
At least, based on the small sample I've had, while I dabbled in Halo multiplayer in the past and moved on, I can see myself playing it more often for Reach. The fact that Reach now adds credits for multiplayer performance and for completing specific Daily and Weekly Challenges that you can then spend on armor pieces to customize your character visually probably feeds that "gotta play multiplayer" feeling as well.
Kotaku

Halo: Reach is unquestionably the best of the Halo games, and that's not a small thing to say. But Bungie doesn't just match the best of every Halo game that came before it, they've improved it, streamlined it, perfected it. Gone are sections of tedium and vacuous game design, gone too is the almost cartoon look of the earlier games and the narrow vision of the places in which they took place. In many ways, Halo: Reach feels like a coming of age title, but not for the characters or the world or the universe Bungie created, but for the studio itself.
Multiplayer: An entire review could be devoted to just the myriad of ways that Halo: Reach's multiplayer sings, all of the wonderful things it brings to the table. The game reworks the popular Firefight mode to allow for nearly limitless customization of the Spartans versions horde mode. Matchmaking seems to have been greatly sped up, though there weren't many people playing when I was trying the game, and there are now ways to try and find gamers who you want to play with through a set of clever filters. Online campaign matchmaking works seamlessly, allowing you to quickly find up to three other gamers to burn through the campaign with. A player Armory and the use of earned credits, allows you to customize your Spartan and gives you one more reason to keep playing those online matches. And Halo: Reach's level building tool, Forge, has been retooled to be easier to use. Bungie also promises to deliver daily in-game challenges when Halo: Reach launches, which will give players another way to earn credits. Of course, there are also plenty of new modes and maps to play with, all of which are augmented by the game's new look and those wonderful class settings.
Yeah, so I'm definitely keeping my pre-order and getting the game. I might even stop by and pick up my copy with the other nerds at midnight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2010, 01:03 AM

So what's the deal with this credit bullshit? Halo and Black Ops?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2010, 01:06 AM

"No you can't stop Debbie... Downer."
There's a first. Predicting that this will get across the board good scores is being a downer.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2010, 01:29 AM

I actually like the credit systems. It's going to allow more individualism to everyone's experience.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2010, 01:41 AM

What is it they do exactly? Black Ops wasn't clear, I just assumed they took the place of the unlock system.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2010, 01:55 AM

I'm not sure about the full range of the credits feature. I know they allow you to customizable armor pieces, and I'm pretty sure some of the armor function upgrades are purchased.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2010, 07:14 PM

Well, I suppose that's better than 3s unlock system, as long as they're not miserly with the credits.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2010, 11:44 AM

Hmmm. This Forge stuff could be interesting.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 01:03 PM

Wow, that's the most impressive thing I've seen from reach yet.

I spent alot of time in H3s Forge and it was frustrating at best to set up objects and new buildings. Seems like they've added a million new tweaks to the whole system.

Looks wicked cool.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2010, 02:08 PM

Anyone on the west coast going to be on shortly after midnight tonight? I may just call in sick tomorrow.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Hmmm. This Forge stuff could be interesting.
Holy S****

I don't know how i missed that vidoc but if thats not impressive, they cancel your pre-order and save your $60

(FYI you can still preorder and get $20 credit from amazon to buy maybe Fallout: NV (which also comes with $10 credit) .... fatty i'm talking to you)

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 02:20 PM

I just got called to a meeting in Southern LA, so I'm going to be out of town until about 1 AM, missing the midnight launch. I'll be on tomorrow. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Poop.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 02:30 PM

(FYI you can still preorder and get $20 credit from amazon to buy maybe Fallout: NV (which also comes with $10 credit)
Be prepared to own three shrink-wrapped games if you do that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 04:24 PM

Anyone on the west coast going to be on shortly after midnight tonight? I may just call in sick tomorrow.
Better use that time wisely and post plenty of envious screenshots to entice Fatty.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 04:29 PM

Fatty is Reach and the forum crew is Noble Team.

And I am Cortana. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go play with my boobs.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2010, 05:02 PM

Better use that time wisely and post plenty of envious screenshots to entice Fatty.
I'm only gonna post one screenshot - me teabagging a sniper.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 06:00 PM

(FYI you can still preorder and get $20 credit from amazon to buy maybe Fallout: NV
(which also comes with $10 credit) .... fatty i'm talking to you)
I was trying to use subliminal messaging and $30 to get fatty in on the action.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 06:04 PM

I was trying to use subliminal messaging and $30 to get fatty in on the action.
Fatty, is you pre-order NV on Amazon you get a $10 credit that you could put towards Black Ops.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 06:22 PM

Fatty, is you pre-order NV on Amazon you get a $10 credit that you could put towards Black Ops.
I hate you and i know you hate ....

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 06:23 PM

Any hold-outs just need to go grab their copy. You'll all be on it within two more weeks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 06:30 PM

Well played, Bogues.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 06:36 PM

This is the slug-fest of the century!

We have Reach out now, Vegas in mid-october, and Black Ops in mid November. My problem is that any overlap of Reach and Black Ops will eat into eachothers game-time, not to mention both games have wildly different ways to control them. If Black Ops has sweet Zombies then, at best, I'm going to play Reach online until mid-November. Vegas doesn't concern me because any of my late late nights or lazy afternoons will easily give me the hundreds of hours that game is going to eat, but I feel like Reach would end up being the bastard child that gets no love.

I've got the NN crew breathing down my neck to get Reach, and Dakar and crew ramping up to play Black Ops.

Explain this Amazon deal to me, since I'm a traditional "go to best buy the day of release" kind of guy. What is the least amount of money I can get all three games for? Also, if Vegas isn't in my hands the day of release I am going to spit fire from all orifices.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 06:39 PM

Ideally you could save $30 like Bogues says ($20 from Reach, another $10 from New Vegas). Release day shipping is 99¢; I just used it for Fable III).

Tell me you're not going to force my hand, fatty.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 06:43 PM

Explain this Amazon deal to me, since I'm a traditional "go to best buy the day of release" kind of guy. What is the least amount of money I can get all three games for? Also, if Vegas isn't in my hands the day of release I am going to spit fire from all orifices.
First as a former employee of a few of those electronics stores, don't waste your time.
Exploiting the Amazon deals/trade in is the BEST way to get your games.
If you pre-order Reach you will get $20 credit
pre-order Fallout: NV you will get $10 credit
20+10 = $30

Reach $60
New Vegas $60
Trade in Modern Warfare 2 to Amazon - $25

Black ops $60-$30-$25 (total credit) = $5

$.99 Release day delivery on Reach and NV (not sure on Black Ops)

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 06:45 PM

spit fire from all orifices.
force my hand, fatty.
me teabagging
play with my boobs.
"Gaming" forum??

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 06:46 PM

Well, MW2 is staying right where it is.

I have an odd way of keeping all my games, never traded in a single one. If I were to put the order in now how long could I expect to wait for Reach to arrive? Since it's the game that will be overtaken I'd like to max out my enjoyment.

Edit: Would NV and Reach both take money off of eachother, or is the third game needed to take that into account? I'm filling my cart right now, but know this, If I do buy both these games it's going to be damn near impossible to get me to buy anything else until Portal 2.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 06:47 PM

I have an odd way of keeping all my games, never traded in a single one. If I were to put the order in now how long could I expect to wait for Reach to arrive? Since it's the game that will be overtaken I'd like to max out my enjoyment.
Mine shipped around 3pm today for delivery tomorrow ($.99 release day delivery)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 06:51 PM

Ditto.

If I were to put the order in now how long could I expect to wait for Reach to arrive? Since it's the game that will be overtaken I'd like to max out my enjoyment.
I'm guessing one day late if you/we do it before midnight.

Better decide soon.

Edit: Would NV and Reach both take money off of eachother, or is the third game needed to take that into account? I'm filling my cart right now, but know this, If I do buy both these games it's going to be damn near impossible to get me to buy anything else until Portal 2.
YOu do know Portal is in February, right?

Anyway you don't get the actual credit until the game ships/you're card is charged, meaning You will hvae $10 to spend after you have Reach and NV.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 06:54 PM

Hilariously Splinter Cell is $15 off ($25) on Amazon right now and I was considering that all day.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 06:55 PM

Anyway you don't get the actual credit until the game ships/you're card is charged, meaning You will hvae $10 to spend after you have Reach and NV.
So I should buy them one at a time then? Order Reach, get the 20 bucks, then put Vegas on order which will now be 40 bucks, then after that arrives put Black Ops on order for 50 bucks?

My my, 150 dollars...

The thing is, if work had been good for the last two years I would not be thinking this over right now. How about you guys hire me to build somethign and I'll get reach

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 06:57 PM

So I should buy them one at a time then? Order Reach, get the 20 bucks, then put Vegas on order which will now be 40 bucks, then after that arrives put Black Ops on order for 50 bucks?

My my, 150 dollars...
Yes, exactly.

The thing is, if work had been good for the last two years I would not be thinking this over right now. How about you guys hire me to build somethign and I'll get reach
Talk to the banker. Only problem is you might have to travel to Pittsburgh. (Not the travel part)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2010, 07:03 PM

I'll regret this once Black Ops pushes Reach into the dusty confines of my game rack, but f**k it.

Bought and ordered, says it'll be here by tomorrow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2010, 07:05 PM

I hate you fatty.

Edit: Done. Maybe I'll get to play RDR in 2011.

Edit 2: I'll be impressed if this arrives at work tomorrow.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 07:07 PM

I'll regret this once Black Ops pushes Reach into the dusty confines of my game rack, but f**k it.

Bought and ordered, says it'll be here by tomorrow.
Awesome
I sense some of these are in your future
Headcase Medal - Get a headshot kill with a sniper on a player using the sprint ability

thats all you fatty

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 13, 2010, 07:08 PM

Edit: Done. Maybe I'll get to play RDR in 2011.
and bioshock 2 single player some time after Bioshock: Infinite

Forum Links
Forum Rules