Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Lil Help here, 333MHz iMac, wiped drive, can't reinstall system

Lil Help here, 333MHz iMac, wiped drive, can't reinstall system
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 01:01 AM

I've got a zeroed 6 gig drive that came from the iMac, but had been living in my G4 as a 2nd drive. I wiped it first while still in the G4, then installed OS 9 on it, and installed it in the iMac.. wouldn't boot, only from CD.

From the CD, it will install 8.6, 9.x, but then a restart won't allow the computer to boot from the newly installed system. the system is blessed.

when trying to 9.04 to 9.2 it said my firmware was 'out of date' and that I needed to install a new version.

it says the same thing in 8.6.

But, when booted from the CD, It won't allow me to update the firmware(located in the CD extras folder).. it says it 'can't update the firmware while started from a locked volume' ???

What's the best way to get this computer back to work?

ps.. if this didn't make enough sense, I can provide more info.
ice

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 05:59 AM

It sounds like you are lacking the "OS9" drivers on the drive to boot.
You will have to reformat the drive, select "Install OS9 drivers", then reinstall the OS. Once installed (even with 8.6), update the firmware. the move up to the latest OS9 or OSX.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

JMHammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
It sounds like you are lacking the "OS9" drivers on the drive to boot.
You will have to reformat the drive, select "Install OS9 drivers", then reinstall the OS. Once installed (even with 8.6), update the firmware. the move up to the latest OS9 or OSX.
If he's running Mac OS X 10.3.x on his G4, he might not be able to use Disk Utility to install the Mac OS 9 drivers to the hard drive because Disk Utility no longer does so in some cases. Apple really is treating Mac OS 9, at least as a bootable system, as dead.

From MacInTouch:
"According to Apple, the check box for installing OS 9 drivers appears only when the machine on which Disk Utlity is running supports OS 9 booting. If you cannot boot the machine in OS 9, there is no option to install OS 9 drivers on any disk, internal or external."

I'm more concerned that he states that he installed 8.6 and 9 from the CD and it still won't boot. I'm assuming he means he installed it to the drive while it was inside the iMac and the iMac was booted from the CD. There should be an option to reinit the drive from the 8 or 9 install program, but perhaps IceEnclosure skipped that part. If that's not the problem, then I'm not sure where I'd go with it to try to get it to work.

John H
G4 Cube (1ghz one-processor upgrade from PowerLogix, 120gb WD HD w/8mb cache, 1.5gb RAM, original-equipment CD-RW, original-equipment Radeon w/32mb, Airport card), 17" ADC Apple LCD, Mac OS X 10.3.5 and Mac OS 9.2.2, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Zip 250 firewire from VST, 30gb firewire/USB1.1 portable drive from VST, Airport base station (snow), basic DSL bandwidth of 768down/128up, Apple Pro Keyboard, Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical... and a G4 1.25ghz/15.2" AlBook, 40gb iPod, and my beloved Palm handheld (currently a Tungsten-T).

galarneau
Senior User
Sep 9, 2004, 03:32 PM

DId you change any of the hard drives jumpers while you had it in the G4? Maybe set it to slave or something? Having the wrong setting might be making the IDE bus flaky.

I sometimes forget to set an IDE back to master or slave when I'm moving stuff around between computers. Anyway, just a thought.

holstien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 09:58 AM

I'd try refomatting the drive while booting from the OS 9 install cd, then installing OS 9. The OS 9 Drive Setup utility should install the OS 9 driver on the drive.

If your imac is new enough, you might also try installing a system folder on a firewire drive (like your ipod, if you have one...) and see if it will boot off of that..... It would let you update your firmware, although it may not move you any closer to getting the computer working.
->Crafted with care by the red-bearded pirate<-

Forum Links
Forum Rules