Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Time to be proud of Canada!

Time to be proud of Canada! (Page 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2010, 04:23 PM

Yeah, while in some areas it could have looked lip-sync'd, it didn't sound lip-sync'd.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 04:51 PM

Yeah.

The only performer who, to me, sounded lip-sync'd was Alanis Morissette. But that was a vocals-only performance from her, and she's known for being strong in that area - it's not like she dances around or anything. (Same with k.d. lang in the opener - sounded almost too good to be live, but then again she's also known for her voice.)

Or it could be a bit of both, as Harlot said. I don't know. But I wanted to make it clear that there's a difference between performers in the show - i.e. Bublé - and the bands that played afterward. If Bublé messed up once, the entire performance could've been thrown off. If the Hedley guitarist plays a wrong note or the singer sings the wrong line, the band's just going to play on; who's going to know? Or care?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

dzp111
Senior User
Mar 4, 2010, 06:18 PM

I really didn't mean to open a can of worms with this folks. Truly. And it's really not a big deal.

David Atkins (the executive producer of the opening and closing ceremonies explained to The Vancouver Sun;

“For international televised live spectacles of this size and scope, it is standard practice to pre-record the musical segments to ensure the integrity and security of the broadcast transmission.”

(Link)

This does not diminish the artists' capabilities in any way shape or form, it's simply technical precaution.

Having said that, I do believe that Neil Young actually played and sang. Not that much to worry about when you're solo.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Dex13
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2010, 11:56 PM

Go Sharks

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2010, 09:06 AM

LOL!

I could've been disappointed to see Nicleback at the closing (along with the lame Shatner jokes) were I not on such a high from the gold medal game.

I liked Brokaw's piece on Canada's relationship with the USA prior to the opening ceremonies ...

Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post

Go Sharks
That’s the same person Photoshopped in there four times, right?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2010, 09:18 AM

Nope. Those are the Edmonton quadruplets. These guys have been on the ice since they were two years old.
One of the brothers made it to the Olympic Team, second from the left, so when he won gold the organizers got the remaining brothers to fly out and share the moment.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey View Post
I liked Brokaw's piece on Canada's relationship with the USA prior to the opening ceremonies ...

Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans
I hadn't seen that before. It should be required viewing for all the haters on either side of the border.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
That’s the same person Photoshopped in there four times, right?
yeah, its team sharks (marleau, thorton, heatley, boyle) on team canada. which is pretty much the only reason why the sharks (totally meant to say canada but im probably just sad that the sharks can never win a stanley cup) even got to the finals.

because sidney crosby sucks
( Last edited by Dex13; Mar 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
which is pretty much the only reason why the sharks even got to the finals.
oh the irony
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules