Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC - June 7: New iPhone HD & Mac OS X 10.7 announcement?

WWDC - June 7: New iPhone HD & Mac OS X 10.7 announcement?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2010, 04:33 PM

Apple announces WWDC date - The Globe and Mail

An Apple spokeswoman declined to say who would be delivering the keynote this year.

Presumably Steve or his more stout minion will announce the iPhone 3G HD at that time, with some quip about leaks.

Actually, I'm also curious as to the future direction of the iPad, but I don't expect anything about that until next year. And what about OS X 10.7? Remember, 10.6 was announced two years ago at WWDC, so 10.7 is due for a mention.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2010, 06:31 PM

No 10.7.

Ever.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2010, 07:30 PM

What do you mean by that?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 28, 2010, 07:55 PM

Os xi ? Os 11?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2010, 08:02 PM

What else but Mac OS XI

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What do you mean by that?
Oh, he crazy! The Mac OS as we know it may fade away eventually, but it’s not done yet. For one thing, there’ll have to be at least one more iteration of Mac OS X before Apple comes up with something Xcode like to run on the iPhone/iPad OS.

But I don’t think there’ll be a peep about 10.7 at this year’s WWDC.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 08:46 AM

Well, it's been two years since the last iteration of OS X was announced. Apple has been announcing every two years (after announcing every year early on). I suppose they could stretch it out to 3 years this time around since 10.6 is pretty mature, but I still think it's fairly likely they will talk about 10.7 this year. I'm sure many developers are wondering.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 10:53 AM

10.7 is being actively developed as we speak... but I doubt it is ready for WWDC.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
10.7 is being actively developed as we speak... but I doubt it is ready for WWDC.
What do you mean by "ready". I was just expecting/hoping for a sneak peek.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2010, 11:22 AM

With the focus on the iPhone/iPad/iPod this year, I wouldn't be surprised to not see a 10.7 announcement. Hell, there aren't even any Mac Design Awards this year.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 11:24 AM

How can they even justify that? What a joke.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 03:07 PM

I'd rather they fix the glaring problems in 10.6 (like HP drivers, Time Machine freezing the server and clients, etc.) before moving onto 10.7.

I'm hoping for some info on Light Peak.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What do you mean by "ready". I was just expecting/hoping for a sneak peek.
OK, it is being actively developed right now, but I doubt it will be ready for a sneak peek.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 10:50 PM

How extensive was the 10.6 demo at WWDC 2008? I can't remember.

P.S. I wonder when we'll get true resolution independence.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 02:52 AM

I don't think we'll hear anything about 10.7 this year. It'll be iPad, iPhone OS 4, and the apps all over again. Yadda yadda yadda.

SL is fairly mature. I don't need 10.7 anytime soon. Resolution-independent GUI and unified UI would be nice, but it's not particularly urgent IMHO.

I do want to see Apple put focus back on the Mac though. SL needs to be fixed in certain areas (printer support, TM, power settings, Dashboard, etc.). And I expect that to happen before they start worrying about some crazy whizbang feature for the 10.7 marketing folks to feed on. Also, how about they start to turn iTunes into a useful app again? Or is intended to be this MS Office-esque app that does it all but with the agility of a bloated whale?

I'd like to see them announce USB3 coming to all Macs with the next update. And yes, I know that's not going to happen.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 1, 2010, 03:29 AM

I get the very strong feeling that apple was moving to a Resolution-independent GUI more than just to make a "unified" look of the same old same old again.

I think they know that the simpler UI's of the iPad/iPhone is the future and that our laptops/desktops will all converge soon.

As such 10.7 might not come till next year.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I do want to see Apple put focus back on the Mac though. SL needs to be fixed in certain areas (printer support, TM, power settings, Dashboard, etc.). And I expect that to happen before they start worrying about some crazy whizbang feature for the 10.7 marketing folks to feed on. Also, how about they start to turn iTunes into a useful app again? Or is intended to be this MS Office-esque app that does it all but with the agility of a bloated whale?
Sometimes I wonder if Dashboard is going the way of Sherlock and Automator.

What's wrong with iTunes? Sure it could use some speedups but otherwise I like it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 09:21 AM

I agree about Dashboard. I'm afraid it might disappear fairly soon. If not 10.7 probably 10.8. IMHO it's a shame because I really like web clips. I view all my Yahoo Finance charts that way. Much faster than navigating through several pages one by one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 1, 2010, 01:10 PM

I agree about Dashboard. I'm afraid it might disappear fairly soon. If not 10.7 probably 10.8. IMHO it's a shame because I really like web clips. I view all my Yahoo Finance charts that way. Much faster than navigating through several pages one by one.
What's wrong with dashboard? This is the first time I have heard any hate towards it especially since there have been hints it is coming to the iPad.

If you don't like it don't use it but I use it easily 10x a day and just about everyone I know does as well.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 01:32 PM

What does 10.6 not do that you need from 10.7?

Personally, I think Apple's been releasing OSX versions a little too frequently anyways.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
What's wrong with dashboard? This is the first time I have heard any hate towards it especially since there have been hints it is coming to the iPad.
I disabled Dashboard a long time ago. Seems to be a complete waste of resources.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Originally Posted by Simon

If you don't like it don't use it but I use it easily 10x a day and just about everyone I know does as well.
Dude, seriously. Read the stuff you quote before you post. I was actually writing about how I use Dashboard regularly and how I'll miss it when it's canned.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
What does 10.6 not do that you need from 10.7?

Personally, I think Apple's been releasing OSX versions a little too frequently anyways.
Agreed. I'm fine with SL sticking around. I'd rather they iron out the remaining issues.

hayesk
May 1, 2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I disabled Dashboard a long time ago. Seems to be a complete waste of resources.
If you disabled it in 10.4 I can't blame you. But it was overhauled in 10.5 and is much more efficient now.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 1, 2010, 06:09 PM

Dude, seriously. Read the stuff you quote before you post. I was actually writing about how I use Dashboard regularly and how I'll miss it when it's canned.
It was directed towards anyone would think it was on its way out and why.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 07:02 PM

I had a really awesome idea for Dashboard over at macthemes.net in a discussion regarding an App Store for OS X. I thought it would be awesome if you could buy iPhone apps in iTunes and then add them to Dashboard through perhaps an App Store widget, or simply sync via iTunes. Then of course you could have whatever apps you like on your iPhone in a lightweight interface. It'd be convenient to have Tweetie, Pandora, etc in the Dashboard. That's a freebie Apple.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I had a really awesome idea for Dashboard over at macthemes.net in a discussion regarding an App Store for OS X. I thought it would be awesome if you could buy iPhone apps in iTunes and then add them to Dashboard through perhaps an App Store widget, or simply sync via iTunes. Then of course you could have whatever apps you like on your iPhone in a lightweight interface. It'd be convenient to have Tweetie, Pandora, etc in the Dashboard. That's a freebie Apple.
That's been mentioned several times already in these forums, and Steve has already said there will no Mac app store.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2010, 08:50 PM

Where in there does it say "no Mac app store?" All I see is that a Mac App Store will be the only way to get software on OS X.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 02:00 AM

I was wondering about that myself. Sine Apple already has the iPhone simulator running on OS X for developers, I guess it shouldn't be too much work to build an emulator for iPhone apps that would allow them to run in Dashboard.

The question is however, if Apple wants people to do that. Apart from the fact that apps built to run in a touch world don't necessarily do well in a KB & mouse world, I'm not sure why Apple would want to take away an incentive for people to buy an iDevice in addition to their Mac.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 01:56 PM

It'd be a great way to get Mac users who haven't bought an iPod/iPhone/iPad (All five of them) to pony up for one after they get addicted to a few apps.

And they wouldn't wan to emulate ARM, they'd want to have developers make fat binaries like they did for PPC/Intel. Apple's already got the tech to do this, they'd just need to make the ability to cross compile for Intel and ARM at the same time, which I imagine they've already got done. I would not at all be surprised if they added this to dashboard, and hopefully also added the ability to bring dashboard widgets to sit on the desktop, I'd love to have my Facebook App just sitting on my desktop, there's a lot of apps this would be great for, especially once we get into iPad apps.

And while I doubt Steve will force people to only use App store apps for the Mac, I think it's silly not to develop one.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2010, 02:48 PM

And no, I was not that worried Canadian reader.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 4, 2010, 03:00 PM

I'm pretty sure they are just staling to figure out where to take the UI. The original iPod was the gateway to the iPhone, the iPhone to the iPod Touch, and now the iPad from all of them.

I sure they believe that the whole concept of having floating windows in your OS to manage and the desktop/mouse metaphor is on its way out.

They are testing the concept with the iProducts and easing the public into converging them all.

Steve also said "No iPod video" right before it came out along with lots of other silly denials. 8 months can change a lot in this market.

Forum Links
Forum Rules