Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HELP!!! External Disaster

HELP!!! External Disaster
louismgrafix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2007, 12:59 PM

This is my first post and I'm desperately in need of help. I have a 160 GB external hard drive hooked up via firewire to my g4 imac running OS 10.3.9. I run my iTunes through it as well as store and backup other files.

Now here's the problem: it says there is nothing on it. Even though I can still play my mp3s on iTunes. I double click the external and it says, 0 items, 80GB available. I ran the disk utility program and it fails the verify disk with the error message saying:

** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
Root directory starts with free cluster
Fix? no
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

1 volume checked
0 HFS volumes verified
1 volume failed verification

I'm in a jam. If anyone has any suggestions or definite solutions to my problem. I would very much appreciate it. I don't have the AppleCare protection plan and I'm not even sure they could fix my problem because it's an external.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2007, 01:00 PM

Since you can mount the drive, stop using it until you get a recovery tool like Data Rescue II.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 01:52 AM

Do you own disc warrior?

This is a tool to rebuild directories. It can find files your operation system can't find because of a bad address.

I haven't used my DiscWarrior on a failure case, I only do maintenance, but this looks like a case for the Disk Warrior, by Alsoft, costs about 100$, currently in version 4.0

Disco Scottie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 07:14 PM

Another vote for Disk Warrior here... I had a drive that wouldn't even mount, I thought it was dead and I'd have to send it to DriveSavers or something. DW was able to see the drive and analyze it - it was too damaged to repair, but it could still see all the files and allowed me to copy everything to another drive. No other utility I tried could do that. So if your drive is still mounting, you're a step ahead of me... I'd be ready to go with another one to move everything to if/when DW finds your files. Good luck!
Disco Scottie

kenfused
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 12:39 AM

Go Diskwarrior,
WELL worth the money.
It saved my A$$ once on a HD crash... I ran it and went to sleep.

Six hours later all my stuff was back!
Then I started to back up my data!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 12:49 AM

I will try DiskWarrior first as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules