Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Apple announces Airport Express with AirTunes - Mobile 802.11g base station

Apple announces Airport Express with AirTunes - Mobile 802.11g base station (Page 5)
itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by darbster:
So as i'm preparing to order my Aiport Expresses a couple of questions have come to mind:

1. I've got a G5 that doesn't have an Airport Card. Do I need to install one to be able to use AirTunes from my desktop? My wife usually takes our iBook and its only Airport enabled anyways (G3 12")
As long as it's connected to the same LAN as your Linksys device, no. The Airport Express basically just joins your LAN as a wireless client.

2. I use a linksys 54g wireless router. Should I just be prepared to put this on ebay after acquiring the Airport Express and use a plain switch for my desktops?
Dependson how you plan to use Airport Express. If you're just going to use it for AirTunes, then you'll still need a router for your wifi network. If you're going to use it for AirTunes and as a router, then you probably don't need your old router.

3. Is there a way to create 1 master iTunes library that all my computers on the network can use?
You could just share your library and stream it to other computers. I'm sure there are other solutions too.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 08:31 PM

[, th posted by wei:
thanks for the reply guys. now i just have to wait.

another questions,
anyone have any idea what is the cable (circle in red)??
[/QUOTE]

Most likely for people over seas that can't use American Power Plugs...

But there should be no reason why i cant connect my AirPort Extreme Base Station to my soon to be parchased Airport Expres, threw Cat 5.

Like I have some Cat 5 in the walls and my stero is pretty far away and if to control AirTunes for me to be surfing of the Airport Express I would then have really slow file transfers to the rest of my computers on the network upstairs. But if the two were connected by Cat 5 there wouldn't be a problem. You are able to do this right?
I asume you can do this.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
[, th posted by wei:
thanks for the reply guys. now i just have to wait.

another questions,
anyone have any idea what is the cable (circle in red)??

[/QUOTE]

And for the extension cord.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 10:43 PM

i just found out my USB printer is not listed under apple supported printers list... which mean I'll never get to use wireless printing via AirPort Express??

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by wei:
i just found out my USB printer is not listed under apple supported printers list... which mean I'll never get to use wireless printing via AirPort Express??
What printer is it?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
What printer is it?
Epson C20UX Inkjet

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by blizaine:
Anyone know how iTunes and AirTunes handles multiple computers on a network all trying to send music to AirTunes?
Fingers crossed but ready to fire up the feedback form. This would be great at our office, too.

J

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2004, 04:19 AM

One thing I'd love to know is if the USB port can supply any power. I'd like to hang a compact, USB powered ethernet hub in front of the Airport Express's ethernet port so the combo can be used to temporarilty patch into an existing computer's ethernet connection WITHOUT disrupting the original computer's connectivity. I need this to gain wireless connectivity at various work places that don't normally have wifi access. The kicker is, I can't disrupt the existing machines, so a ethernet hub or switch is needed in front of my base station. Currently I carry a rather bulky wirelss bridge/switch to do the job. If the Airport Express USB port could supply a little power, a "brickless" combo of it and a mini-ethernet hub would be a lot easier to carry around.

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
And for the extension cord. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think your answer is more likely correct. I was looking at the Apple Store and the last line regarding the $39.00 cable kit they sell is, "Use the AC Cord for greater flexibility over placement of the base station."

I for one don't have an empty outlet to plug the AE into and would need the AC extension cord to use one.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by bmyers2:
I for one don't have an empty outlet to plug the AE into and would need the AC extension cord to use one.
Or, buy a cheap power strip.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
Or, buy a cheap power strip.
Or buy a new home with more outlets.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 13, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by jaydisc:
I also agree that the ethernet port will behave as a LAN port if desired and thus, an X-Box would work fine.
The Apple website mentions no such functionality.

All it says is that it can take a wired signal and convert it into wireless. ie. It says it can act as a bridge from wired-->wireless. It says nothing about the reverse. IOW, it's an access point, but with the added cool functionality of having the ability to stream and output iTunes music as well.

OTOH, this Macworld article seems to suggest it CAN do wireless --> wired Ethernet bridging.

If you're using AirPort Express as a base station, you'd plug your Internet connection into it via its included Ethernet port. But if your main base station is an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express, you can also use the AirPort Express as a wireless bridge -- just plug it in somewhere else in your house, and attach any Ethernet-based device to it. That device will now be on your network, even though it's nowhere near the rest of your stuff.

I hope they're right.

EDIT:

It looks like it's true. According to the article comments that info comes directly from Greg Joswiak, with the caveat that bridge to wired Ethernet only works with the Apple products. Perhaps that is why they don't mention it on their website.

That "claim" comes straight from Apple VP Greg Joswiak, so if you want to complain, complain to Apple.

Joswiak says that it _will_ work as a wireless bridge to Ethernet if it's connected to another AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express. If it's some other sort of base station, then no.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 13, 2004 at 10:40 AM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:

Joswiak says that it _will_ work as a wireless bridge to Ethernet if it's connected to another AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express. If it's some other sort of base station, then no.[/i]
Yeah, and I've read elsewhere that such a function would work even if you don't have Airport Extreme or Express if you have a router/access point that supports WDS. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but I can see Apple wanting to simplify the discussion by saying you have to have an AirPort network to use the feature.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 09:57 PM

Dunno if this has been posted before but somebody on Apple's forums posted an excellent AX FAQ. Most of the questions in this thread are answered in it.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2004, 02:01 AM

I haven't read up to this point (5 pages..yeesh)

Anyway...

One thing I want to know about the AirPort Express...if I have my music on my desktop, I can stream it to my PowerBook. But can I choose the Express on my PowerBook and stream it again, over to the Express unit and thus the stereo?

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 07:15 AM

will i be able to use my dial up internet connection and use airtunes at the same time? or will the networking stuff be all taken up with the internet connection and airport express wont be able to used to get the music to my stereo?

sorry if thats vague, im not in the know on this stuff.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Or buy a new home with more outlets.
I wonder what's gonna be cheaper ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules