Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini bluetooth and airport after purchase

mac mini bluetooth and airport after purchase
zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 10:03 PM

ok what if i have a mini without bluetooh or airport built on from the store. Can get this features installed internally by a local dealer? what about Super Drive can they do it too?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 10:13 PM

Yes.

IBL +1

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by zerock:
ok what if i have a mini without bluetooh or airport built on from the store. Can get this features installed internally by a local dealer? what about Super Drive can they do it too?
Yes you can add those after the fact. I know because when I got mine I asked about the BTO options and they didn't have any in the store that day. They said to call them back and they should have them later in the week. But you can add them at anytime.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 11:26 AM

igglue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 11:34 AM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

This is the one I have, and I am using it with mac mini right now!

I'm also going to try a usb wifi adapter. (I just need to figure out where I placed it!). I'll give it a shot and let you guys know if it works.

Iggy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by igglue:
I'm also going to try a usb wifi adapter. (I just need to figure out where I placed it!). I'll give it a shot and let you guys know if it works.
I was thinking about that, but it seemed stupid to me to buy a small computer like the mini, and then have dozens of things added on to it.

The WiFi and BT adapter use up both USB ports, so even if you use a BT mouse and keyboard, you won't be able to connect anything else without a hub.

-t

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 01:37 AM

I bought a mini from the UW store in Seattle last Saturday. At the time, myself and about three others were sorry to hear they didn't yet have either RAM, Airport Extreme or the putty knife required to install them.

They told us all to call back 'next week' and I was given a photocopy of the Standard and ProCare Service Form with my receipt attached that clearly showed +256 RAM Airport....

I have called every day and each time am told they had no updates until Wednesday when I was told they had the RAM and 'tool' (putty knife) but no word on the AE cards. The rep said I could bring it in then for the RAM upgrade or wait for the AE cards to come in, however, I would need to come into the store and purchase the RAM then make an appointment for the install. I decided to wait.

Tonight I called the store and once agian asked if they had any updates on the AE for the mini's. Without a pause he confidently said, 'the only way to get AE is through BTO.' I said, 'but I was in last Saturday and have been calling everyday.' He said a memo came out the 25th advising of this change. I left the conversation at that....

Around 5:20 p.m. I was at the store with my mini and receipt in hand and a manager (Jason) caught my eye (I was waiting in line) - I told him the situation and he (with no apology) said there was a lot of confusion and they honestly don't know if Apple is going to let the store tackle something as complex as the AE install - complex?! I told him there are numerous resources on the web on the step by step process to get to all things inside the mini.... He asked me to wait it out and see what happens - I asked about the 14 day return policy and he said they would 'do the right thing' for me and others who are on this AE list (Standard and ProCare Service Form list).

To top it off, a guy in line behind me grabbed a store rep and said, 'I have a mini and bought the RAM and AE a couple days and have an appointment to bring it in to have it installed.' They guy was pulled out of line and taken to the back of the store where I noticed he handed over his bag of 'stuff' and was given another copy of the service form. I mentioned this to manager after he went into the back to get me one of his business cards and he got a weird smile on his face and said, 'yeah, someone accidently sold him a regular AE card and those don't fit on the mini.' I said, 'well he's going to be disappointed when he comes back for his mini' and he said, 'yeah.'

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by bmyers2:
I bought a mini from the UW store in Seattle last Saturday. At the time, myself and about three others were sorry to hear they didn't yet have either RAM, Airport Extreme or the putty knife required to install them.

They told us all to call back 'next week' and I was given a photocopy of the Standard and ProCare Service Form with my receipt attached that clearly showed +256 RAM Airport....

I have called every day and each time am told they had no updates until Wednesday when I was told they had the RAM and 'tool' (putty knife) but no word on the AE cards. The rep said I could bring it in then for the RAM upgrade or wait for the AE cards to come in, however, I would need to come into the store and purchase the RAM then make an appointment for the install. I decided to wait.

Tonight I called the store and once agian asked if they had any updates on the AE for the mini's. Without a pause he confidently said, 'the only way to get AE is through BTO.' I said, 'but I was in last Saturday and have been calling everyday.' He said a memo came out the 25th advising of this change. I left the conversation at that....

Around 5:20 p.m. I was at the store with my mini and receipt in hand and a manager (Jason) caught my eye (I was waiting in line) - I told him the situation and he (with no apology) said there was a lot of confusion and they honestly don't know if Apple is going to let the store tackle something as complex as the AE install - complex?! I told him there are numerous resources on the web on the step by step process to get to all things inside the mini.... He asked me to wait it out and see what happens - I asked about the 14 day return policy and he said they would 'do the right thing' for me and others who are on this AE list (Standard and ProCare Service Form list).

To top it off, a guy in line behind me grabbed a store rep and said, 'I have a mini and bought the RAM and AE a couple days and have an appointment to bring it in to have it installed.' They guy was pulled out of line and taken to the back of the store where I noticed he handed over his bag of 'stuff' and was given another copy of the service form. I mentioned this to manager after he went into the back to get me one of his business cards and he got a weird smile on his face and said, 'yeah, someone accidently sold him a regular AE card and those don't fit on the mini.' I said, 'well he's going to be disappointed when he comes back for his mini' and he said, 'yeah.'

I hope not. If so then I'll just have to wait til one of the resellers has it and purchase it seperately and install it myself. if that is the case isn't the Mini's Superdrive a Powerbook syle interal drive? if so then you can get an aftermarket one and have it installed. I'm sure before long one of the aftermarket resellers like MCE or someone will have something for the mini.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by bmyers2:
'yeah, someone accidently sold him a regular AE card and those don't fit on the mini.' I said, 'well he's going to be disappointed when he comes back for his mini' and he said, 'yeah.'
The AE card in the service manual looks just like the regular AE card.

Is it possible that if you have a mini with Bluetooth already installed, then the Mezzanine board is also already installed? And then if so, the regular AE card should fit?

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by elvis2000:
The AE card in the service manual looks just like the regular AE card.

Is it possible that if you have a mini with Bluetooth already installed, then the Mezzanine board is also already installed? And then if so, the regular AE card should fit?
Sorry if I'm repeating old info... but more research shows the Mini's AE card to be the same as all others. What is different is that it:
1) Requires the same Mezzanine board as the Bluetooth card, and
2) Requires an antenna, which the Mini doesn't include standard.

That explains why you save $30 if you buy both BTO... the Airport card essentially piggy-backs onto the Bluetooth card. Adding Airport after the fact will require an antenna.. but if you already have Bluetooth you are halfway there.

Internal airport doesn't make much sense to me on a "desktop" machine (unless you just want a super-clean desktop). I'll probably just go with a Wireless Ethernet Bridge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules