Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Choosing a car....

Choosing a car....
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2009, 09:56 AM

History:
Been driving cheap-ass run down cars in college, mainly to get to the beach and back. Im havent been too picky about the cars... and generally i spent more on my iPods more than i did on my cars .

Now:
Looking to buy a car now, but i have a few more requirements. I am generally brand agnostic, although i do prefer European cars... Japanese cars are a 'last resort' to me. My technical requirements are that it should be auto transmission, sedan. Style matters.

Right now the Audi A4s and A6s (post 2000) are at the top of my list. But ive also been looking at the VWs, etc.....

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Cheers

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 27, 2009, 10:25 AM

Out of curiosity, why is an automatic a requirement?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2009, 10:36 AM

Cause i can't be bothered driving manual. And the primary purpose of the car will be a beach mobile, followed by your every-day things. It should be a sedan cause i'll need the space (beach gear).

Also, i don't know a lot about the workings of cars. As long as it works, it works. Think of those Mac users who just use computers to get their jobs done, without knowing about the inner workings of the machine. That's what i'm like with cars.

Cheers

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Right now the Audi A4s and A6s (post 2000) are at the top of my list. But ive also been looking at the VWs, etc.....
A4 is a great choice but i would say as far as styling you need to get up to the B7 series (2005-2008) for a more modern looking car, the B6/B5 is getting outdated.

Also i would look at the 3 series, starting in 1998 you have the E92 that goes up until 2005 that provides a great quality car and amazing performance. And in 2005 you have the current generation ().

Really it all depends on your price range

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 27, 2009, 12:03 PM

Cause i can't be bothered driving manual.
Does this mean that you don't want to or that you don't know how?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2009, 12:11 PM

2001 Pontiac Aztec. Can't go wrong there.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2009, 12:13 PM

Particularly if you're blind.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2009, 03:15 PM

Cleary you need a Chevy Vega! The perfect beach car.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2009, 02:19 AM

Well i was considering the old VW bugs and vans..... but unfortunately theyre not automatic.

KLB5090, dude, i'd love to get a 2009 Audi A4/6 . but the 2005 models are going for about double of what i want to spend right now. After looking at the different Audi models... i guess the Constant Variable Transmission (CVT) would be good to have eh ?

Also between the A4 and A6, i think the A4 would probably suit me better... the A6, seems a little big..... but i do like the curves on the A6s.

Are there any comparable cars to the A4/A6 from other manufacturers ?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2009, 05:36 AM

What does "beach gear" mean exactly in terms of size/volume ? The small Audis don't really have big trunks. The A6's trunk is a lot bigger.

Keep in mind that Audis have rock hard suspension and are nose-heavy. I would also go for a normal tiptronic instead of the CVT. Less complex, less that can go wrong.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Also i would look at the 3 series, starting in 1998 you have the E92 that goes up until 2005 that provides a great quality car and amazing performance. And in 2005 you have the current generation ().
E46.

The E90/91/92 is the current generation.

PS: The E46 will be a much better ride than the Audi.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
What does "beach gear" mean exactly in terms of size/volume ? The small Audis don't really have big trunks. The A6's trunk is a lot bigger.

Keep in mind that Audis have rock hard suspension and are nose-heavy. I would also go for a normal tiptronic instead of the CVT. Less complex, less that can go wrong.
Couple of boards (under 6'), boogie board and wetsuit.

In my old cars, i had been keeping the boards(up to 4 one time, with 4 passengers.... felt like a bunch of clowns) diagonally across the passenger area .... pretty ghetto, but it got the job done.

Just so we're on the same page, the Exx you guys are talking about are BMWs, right ?

I'm really captivated by the curves on the Audis.

So is the 4-5 Speed transmission better than the CVT ? TCO wise.... which ones are more reliable ?

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2009, 08:40 AM

So is the 4-5 Speed transmission better than the CVT ? TCO wise.... which ones are more reliable ?
4-5 speed transmissions? 4-speed transmissions are all but extinct. Low-end transmissions have 5 gears (manual).

AFAIK the CVT has a reputation of being rather unexciting.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2009, 08:49 AM

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
E46.

The E90/91/92 is the current generation.

PS: The E46 will be a much better ride than the Audi.
your right, i don't know how i confused those. Good fix.
But there is a E93 Cabrio also.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
4-5 speed transmissions? 4-speed transmissions are all but extinct. Low-end transmissions have 5 gears (manual).

AFAIK the CVT has a reputation of being rather unexciting.
Well there you go. shows you how much i know about these contraptions. Im not really looking for "excitement" in the transmission area, just reliability and a smooth ride.

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Actually.... i prefer the 1967-1968 beatle

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2009, 02:39 AM

I've narrowed my selection down to an 1999 Audi A6 with 156k km or a 2003 Audi A4 with 103k km. Both 2.4L 6cyls. The A6 has a 5 speed auto transmission and the A4 has a CVT. took them both out for a test drive. Both felt great. The A6 felt huge.... the A4 felt sporty. Both were nice and quiet.

Any comments about said vehicles ?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2009, 03:16 AM

I've narrowed my selection down to an 1999 Audi A6 with 156k km or a 2003 Audi A4 with 103k km. Both 2.4L 6cyls. The A6 has a 5 speed auto transmission and the A4 has a CVT. took them both out for a test drive. Both felt great. The A6 felt huge.... the A4 felt sporty. Both were nice and quiet.

Any comments about said vehicles ?
03' A4

OreoCookie
Apr 30, 2009, 04:40 AM

Another vote for the A4: it's newer, has less km on it and if you like the zippiness (compared to the much larger A6), it's the better choice™.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2009, 04:55 AM

I'd go for the A4 and get a board rack for the roof.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2009, 05:22 AM

Oh yeah, the A6 is from a private seller, and the A4 is from a second hand dealership. The interiors were in similar condition generally.

Now the cars both ran fine with no strange noises. is there anything i should check for ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 30, 2009 at 05:39 AM. )

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2009, 05:29 AM

Oh yeah, the A6 is from a private seller, and the A$ is from a second hand dealership. The interiors were in similar condition generally.

Now the cars both ran fine with no strange noises. is there anything i should check for ?
The main thing I would check is that you have a big chunk of change in the bank to pay for servicing and repairs. Audi (and VW for that matter) know how to make stuff expensive. It constantly amazes me that is almost everything is cheaper on my BMW than on my friend's VW.

That being said, there are plenty of sites that can list the possible trouble spots on used Audis. One I can think of off the top of my head is in the used car reviews on http://www.whatcar.com.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Just picked up my new (well second hand really) 2003 A4...

Apart from a couple of cosmetic/superficial problems, it drives and handles really well.... so far
Might be a bit much driving to the beach n one of these tho..hmmm

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 12, 2009 at 07:18 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2009, 06:45 AM

Needs Apple sticker

Forum Links
Forum Rules