Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Shaky DV Monitor

Shaky DV Monitor
Mr.Macross
Dec 8, 1999, 07:09 PM

Hi all-

My Graphite DV has been having periodic problems with the monitor "shaking"-the picture vibrating subtly to noticeably. I don't have anything near it with an EMF...except a stereo that isn't on. I have the problem when I use MP3's and when I don't, so I've kinda ruled out the "noise causes it" solution. I just got my iMac out of the shop for a faulty speaker jack, and I have a job to do on it for a client. I can't afford to send it in now...any ideas on what to do? Should it be replaced?

------------------
-Mr. Macross

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 1999, 07:26 PM

Does it shake randomally, or when you knock it (i.e. vibrations)?

Either way, there's no easy fix for this, unfortunately.

Mr.Macross
Dec 8, 1999, 07:59 PM

It happens randomly. It's really annoying, because I think my eyes are failing, then I realize it's the computer. It calms down, but has little fits intermittently. I suppose I'll catalog the problem's occurence from now on. Should the monitor be replaced?

------------------
-Mr. Macross

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 1999, 09:57 PM

This might be a long shot but could this be in relation to a appliance cycling such as a refrigerator or perhaps your washing machine? I've owned a Rev A and now a DV and the DV is significantly more affected with the shaky screen whenever the blow dryer is on in the bathroom. I have an older home and am accustomed to the lights dimming whenever the washer machine goes into spin cycle or when the furnace kicks on etc. What else is plugged into the same outlet?

You said you will begin cataloging your experience. Good idea. Maybe start noticing the time and better the duration.

I can't help but remember the widely distributed email about funny Help Desk stories and the person who was eating potato chips while looking at the monitor and wanted it exchanged. Try this and you'll see what I am talking about.

Halifax
Dec 8, 1999, 11:56 PM

I'd have replied with what bmyers2 had posted - I have a Umax C500 with a Sony Monitor plugged into a different outlet socket than my DVSE, but when the C500's monitor comes on - it's shakey-town for a second!

Mr.Macross
Dec 9, 1999, 12:11 AM

I tried unplugging my fridge from the strip that it's in, but that didn't help. Then I thought it was the an Mp3 or CD player problem..maybe the speakers were affecting it. But stopping the players fixed nothing. Even now it shakes a bit. It hasn't stopped for a couple of minutes now. I guess I'll call Apple and take it into the shop during the new year. i'd like to fix this myself if I can...thanks for everyones help. Has this happened to anyone else?

------------------
-Mr. Macross

Brian Cyr
Dec 10, 1999, 07:26 PM

I've also had this problem - once.

It happened at the end of a long day, in which my DV SE had been left on all day. Like the initial poster, I also thought my eyes were going... the display was shaking with very small 'amplitude'. I played with the monitor display settings, but nothing made a difference.

After feeling the back of the unit, it seemed to be warmer than usual (whatever that means), so I thought (hoped) that the problem was due to overheating and shut the unit off.

I let it cool for about 5 minutes, then restarted, with no problems for a few minutes. Then (maybe after the components heated up again?), the problem returned. I gave up, and turned it off for the night.

The next morning (maybe after a proper cool-down period?), the problem was gone, and hasn't returned since. (knock wood).

If it was a temperature problem, this is hardly an acceptable solution, as the components will likely get worse as they age. The time to get it fixed is now, while it's still under warrantee. I had hoped to learn whether or not this has happened to other folks. So far, a sample of 2 is probably not sufficient to get a warrantee repair...

Anyone else out there have this problem?

Thanks,
BC

Forum Links
Forum Rules