Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMovie on 233/266 iMac

iMovie on 233/266 iMac
computerman
Dec 6, 1999, 04:23 PM

I would like to know if it is possible to install the iMovie software on a 233/266 iMac? I have a friend who is getting a digital camera for X-mas and he wants the software.

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 1999, 05:16 PM

How does he intend to get the software? Apple doesn't sell it seperately.

computerman
Dec 6, 1999, 06:53 PM

iMovie came with my new iMac DV. I want to install it on a 233/266. I just want to know if I can do it or not.

Thanks!

James Z
Dec 7, 1999, 02:53 AM

Well I am sure that that breaks some copyright rules, but besides, how are you going get the video on to the iMac without FireWire. I guess there are some USB solutions, but I am sure they are not the greatest. Chances are the 233/266 are fast enough to run the software, but the real problem is RAM. Make sure the 233/266 has at least 96 MB RAM under Mac OS 9. Keep in mind the software is unsupported on any other machines besides the DV's, try it at your own risk.

[This message has been edited by James Z (edited 12-07-1999).]

computerman
Dec 7, 1999, 06:01 PM

Thank you all. I have not bought another iMac to put the software on yet. I was just wondering if it could be done. I wanted to setup a dedicated server, some of my friends wanted to use my iMovie software, and I thought if I could install the software on the 233/266 iMac then I would be set. In the sense of keeping my personal iMac personal and letting them use the 233/266 iMac. Thanks guys!

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 1999, 11:32 PM

I'm not sure if I'm saying something that isn't known by those who already responded BUT....... after I bought my grape DV, I put the iMovie CD into my Rev A just to see what would happen. The Rev A is now with my son so I can't tell you exactly what it said but it was something like, "iMovie can not be installed on this Macintosh." It is absolutely no surprise that Apple locked down the app to certain machines and is better for everyone (IMHO).

computerman
Dec 8, 1999, 11:43 AM

Thanks again. I was just wondering if it was at all possible. On a little different note, I am wanting to setup my 233/266 iMac (depending if I get it or not) as a dedicated server. I just want to set it up so I can host my own web page, and maybe give my family some web based e-mail accounts. I know you can use a 233/266 to do this, because I read an article that imac2day.com posted and this guy did it.I have been e-mailing him, but no response as of yet. I was just wondering if you need to know an extensive amount of networking knowledge to do this. Thank you!

soontobeimacowner
Dec 8, 1999, 01:37 PM

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but what I've gathered so far, is you need to communicate to the "webshell" of your current server to be able to do this.The most understandable guide for doing this I've found at redhat.com..
It's called "Redhat Linux" and you can download their user-friendly "Redhat linux desktop environment" and they explain in detail how to execute this in the proper way.I wish you the best of luck!

computerman
Dec 8, 1999, 02:45 PM

So I should download Apachy is what you are saying. I heard it is a good server software that you can download for free. I downloaded this other software, but it was not good at all! I am just looking to setup a server so I can let my family host web pages. We are trying to get a "family server" type of thing going. Since I am the one in college for computers. They designated me as host. I will download the Apachy server software. More advice would be wonderful, as in what Mail software should I get?

Thank You!

soontobeimacowner
Dec 9, 1999, 01:56 PM

There are many different options to
choose from. If you're your own server
hosting web-pages and e-mail accounts,you
will have to create directories and for
e-mail accounts, a CGI directory and feed
it the necessary perl-cgi script.Here are
some free ones http://www.onlinebusiness.com/shops/_prog
ramming/BEST_CGI_Scripts.shtml
you can also simplify things by going
with a remote host but they'll shove
their banners down your throat.To make it
even easier, if you have your own active
domain you can go to bigmailbox.com and
get set up for free with minimal html
knowledge required. I hope this helps.

computerman
Dec 9, 1999, 02:38 PM

So when I setup my server, it will have my own domain, right? So, when people e-mail the webmaster, me, they will be e-mailing it to [email protected]?? That part is the part that really confuses me. Help is highly wanted.
Thanks!
Sorry I forgot. All these CGI Scripts are going to work on my server? I tried last night to download the Apache server, but there we so many to choose from and I could not find the right now to download. Which one is it??

[This message has been edited by computerman (edited 12-09-1999).]

soontobeimacowner
Dec 10, 1999, 05:31 AM

If you have your own server, you would have your own domain, otherwise you'd be on someone elses domain. The latest version of Apache 1.3.9 is available at http://www.apache.org/dist/
it includes all the modules necessary to run and maintain your own server including UNIX commands that would enable you to run all types of forms, e-mail platforms and anything interactive with your server.There's also Apache group support that would help you with any questions you may have.Apache is the most widely used www server in the universe.

computerman
Dec 10, 1999, 11:10 AM

I <bold>think</bold> I am just going to give up. I can not find the right server file to download. All downloaded a but of them last night, but I did not have the right program to save it or unzip it or something. I went and downloaded MacZip, but it still didn't work. Grrrrrr.
I am willing to give it one more try.

Thanks!

brobison3
Dec 10, 1999, 11:26 AM

To the best of my knowledge, Apache web server will not run on the Mac OS. My advice to you would be to get a Linux OS for your iMac such as LinuxPPC or Yellow Dog Linux. I'm not sure of these releases, but they should come with Apache already installed. Then pick up a copy of Running Linux by O'Reilly & Associates (or another similar book) to help you along.

Another thing you need to consider is what kind of internet connection do you have? Do you have a static IP address? Without a static IP, you won't be able to host web pages because your domain name will not have an IP to point to.

If you really are having some trouble, a good way to get the feel of running your own server would be to go through a reseller like HostPro or 9NetAve - you can find a list of them on CNET.com under Web Hosting. You will get command-line access to your own directory, an FTP directory, and they usually have some sort of web-based interface for maintainance as well. You could probably get everything you need for under $20.00 a month.

Hope this helps you out.

computerman
Dec 10, 1999, 11:57 AM

Hey, Thanks a lot. That would explain a lot!! I know you can use WebStar on a Mac OS system. I was just trying to find a way that I could put a GOOD server on my iMac for free. Just to get the hang of it. But I guess that is impossible. I know you can download demo's of WebStar, and maybe that is what I am going to have to do.
Thanks again!
BTW if you know of any good web servers that you can download plese let me know!
Thanks
computerman

Forum Links
Forum Rules