Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > video transfer

video transfer
milf
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2004, 06:35 PM

I picked up a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV33, but am having trouble importing some of the videos I have shot. The camera uses both a memory stick and a DV tape. I've managed to connect my Handycam to my Powerbook through a USB interface. I can see everything that is contained on the memory stick, but nothing on the DV tape. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but some of the short videos I shot are contained on the memory stick. When is the memory stick used versus the DV tape. Also, is there anything I need to import the video? The camera has an iLink interface, but I don't have the cable? How do I get OS X to recognize my Handycam's iLink interface and is there a simple way to transfer video? Thanks.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 07:09 PM

Apple's preferred interface is firewire. iLink is just another name for firewire. There is probably another, harder, way, but you'd be better off getting that cable you're missing.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 07:25 PM

Normally, the memory stick is for storing pictures. It's used when the camera is in photo mode. Video is recorded on the DV tape. You just need a firewire or iLink cable (the same thing). It's a cable with a tiny 4 pins square connector at one end and a bigger 6 pins square connector at the other end. You shoud havae one with the powerbook or with the camera. Other than that, put the camera ine the vcr mode and iMovie, FinalCut Expres or FinalCut Pro will automaticaly recognize it.

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 07:57 PM

Worked perfectly once I picked up the firewire cable. Thanks for the info.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 10:08 AM

Just get the missing cable as Uncle Skeleten said. its not that much
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

Forum Links
Forum Rules