Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got a Cat? Got SARS too?

Got a Cat? Got SARS too?
iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 09:17 AM

So, I don't have a cat. I admire them, but I find them rather creepy and dirty animals -- the whole burying their booty in the litter box with their paws then jumping out and walking across the furniture or tabletops or wherever on those paws makes me shiver -- and now there comes the information that cats can apparently pass SARS along to humans...READ HERE... and HERE

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
the whole burying their booty in the litter box with their paws then jumping out and walking across the furniture or tabletops or wherever
Hmmm... If you had a cat, you'd notice that they don't actually touch their waste with their paws. The only time a cat has to start touching their waste is when their thoughtless owner has gone too long without emptying the litter.

And... Properly trained cats don't jump up on furniture. None of mine do.

Note also that I've never seen a dog wash its own face, so I could be biased.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 09:45 AM

So, I don't have a cat. I admire them, but I find them rather creepy and dirty animals -- the whole burying their booty in the litter box with their paws then jumping out and walking across the furniture or tabletops or wherever on those paws makes me shiver...
As Sherwin noted, cats are among the cleanest animals around.

Constantly preening and cleaning themselves. They also don't smell - unless they fart, which is quite possibly the vilest odour I've ever smelled. But that doesn't seem to be common.

Now, DOGS, on the other hand, seem to have absolutely no problem with peeing their own hind legs, and I've rarely seen a dog clean himself.

-s*

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 09:52 AM

Good points...BUT...

Those cats are going to the bathroom in that litter box and then they go again...and again...and eventually that litter-stuff IS contaminated...and it's impossible for them to not touch some of their, uh, booty, right? Eventually?

Is anyone else with me on this or am I going to go it alone on this?

About a dog washing its face, GOOD. I don't want an animal that licks its behind then wiping that, uh, STUFF, all over it's face, too!

I have a sheltie and he goes to the groomer once a week and he gets brushed every day (he's a dog that has gone Westminster so I feel inclined to keep him looking brilliant) and he's VERY clean.

I also have a parrot and the parrot can get dirty if his cage isn't cleaned every other day or so. But, at least it's a CONTAINED mess...cats just go...wherever they want.

And then there's the cat smell that hits you in the face when you go into someone's house that has cats. Even the cleanest house and the best cats in those houses still have that...smell.

I guess I'm just not a cat liker -- or lover.

<shrug>

On the other hand, who can dislike a dog?

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 09:54 AM

Besides which, a dog isn't going to give you SARS.

(The point of the thread.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 10:09 AM

Good points...BUT...

Those cats are going to the bathroom in that litter box and then they go again...and again...and eventually that litter-stuff IS contaminated...and it's impossible for them to not touch some of their, uh, booty, right? Eventually?

Is anyone else with me on this or am I going to go it alone on this?
Well, I certainly hope you take off your shoes outside your front door, cuz animals **** all over lawns and sidewalks. You carry a LOT more nasties in through the door than a healthy cat will ever spread from the litter box.

Unless the litter box has been totally neglected by the owner, in which case the cat will probably still be among the cleanest things in the house.

And believe me, it is quite possible to dislike a dog (though not generally the case for me).

Much more so if it's wet. Ugh!

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 10:12 AM

(The point of the thread.)
Possibly true.

But a cats vs. dogs thread is so much more fun!

-s*

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:12 AM

Of course I take my shoes off at the front door!

My dog doesn't smell bad when he's wet because he's always clean.

BUT, I know what you mean about a wet DIRTY dog...yuck. People don't give their dogs enough baths -- which I don't understand either.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 10:13 AM

It'll give you rabies instead.

I would prefer a dog over a cat (if I had to have a pet), but I believe cats to be clean animals.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:21 AM

Well, a cat would give you rabies also!

There's a vaccine for rabies...not SARS.

I just saw a cat yesterday, eating guts and all, a songbird it caught...it was the "darling baby kitty" of the neighbor behind me. An hour later she said hello and she's holding it in her arms and it's rubbing its face on her cheek and I'm like...

EWWWWWWWWWWwwwwww!

Blegh.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 10:25 AM

BUT, I know what you mean about a wet DIRTY dog...yuck. People don't give their dogs enough baths -- which I don't understand either.
I always thought it's because it's bad for them? Don't dogs rely on the oil (odor) in their coats for social functions or whatever?

Hm. Apparently not.

At any rate, I much prefer self-cleaning pets - hell, I prefer self-cleaning *anything* given the choice!

-s*(never again w/o a dishwasher)

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:38 AM

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:43 AM

Yeah. But that would be because the owner needs shooting, not 'coz the cat's dirty.

About a dog washing its face, GOOD. I don't want an animal that licks its behind then wiping that, uh, STUFF, all over it's face, too!
Dogs just lick their behinds then try to lick your face.

cats just go...wherever they want.
It's very rare you'll find a cat who poops outside of his/her litter box - rule of "first material possession" and all that (obscure Ren and Stimpy thing). Unless they're an outdoorsy kind of cat (one of mine will wait forever to be let outside rather than go on the tray).

And... You can actually train cats to go on the toilet (wish I could find the picture out there of the cat hanging its butt over the rim). They won't flush it, but then neither do a lot of humans.

And then there's the cat smell that hits you in the face when you go into someone's house that has cats. Even the cleanest house and the best cats in those houses still have that...smell.
But meh, have you smelt some people?

On the other hand, who can dislike a dog?
Me. Detest the things (although will make exeptions for individuals).

Willing to bet that they would. The article goes on about cats and ferrets, not just cats.

�Cats and ferrets are only distantly related,� he said. �So this demonstrates the promiscuous nature of the virus.�
Shouldn't they have also tested dogs in that lab? Makes no sense.

Admit it... ...you just hate cats and are projecting onto those articles.

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
never again w/o a dishwasher
Never a truer word spoken.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 10:44 AM

Yeah, that's pretty vile.

However, I doubt that any cat could've helped that any more than a particular lizard had to do with this guy's problem:

-s*

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:46 AM

Meh. I was hoping I'd never have to look at another pic of the "Bride of Wildenstein".

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 10:55 AM

Sherwin: Yeah, isn't she just GROTESQUE?

Spheric: Did you know that Tooki knows Lizard Guy? He's the same guy (at least I think he is) who has huge hooks put through his back (through his flesh) and then he has people hoist him up via chains so that he can experience how it feels to "fly." MORE DISGUSTING.

About liking cats, actually, I prefer to not like them, correct. BUT, I do see cats here and there and I think, "Really beautiful animal." I like the Tonkinese and the Siamese cats -- even the Bengals are cool.

But, doubt I'd want one, no. Though, last year I found a box of four baby kittens on the side of the road, about 4 weeks old (eyes were still grey and not all the way opened) and I took them to my vet and took care of them until they went to an adoption center for someone else to take.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 11:06 AM

Did you know that Tooki knows Lizard Guy? He's the same guy (at least I think he is) who has huge hooks put through his back (through his flesh) and then he has people hoist him up via chains so that he can experience how it feels to "fly." MORE DISGUSTING.
That is a Shamanic practice in some Native American tribes.

Doing it to see how it feels to "fly", rather than for spiritual needs, cements my impression that the guy is just totally whacked.

Whatever, he can probably live off television fees better than I can off my job, so who am I to argue?

-s*

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 07:41 PM

That tongue is interesting though. Wonder how it feels like, and whether you can wiggle the two forks independently?

As to cats:

Their bites cause wicked nasty infections, worse than human or dog. Apparently whatever microbes they carry are not nice.

I didn't read the article, but are cats and ferrets eaten more than dogs in China?

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 08:07 PM

I never thought of myself as a "cat person" until we got a couple of kittens a few months ago (mainly because practicality issues prevented getting a dog). We got two burmese, and they're brilliant.

Apart from being cute 'n' all (which they certainly are), they used their litter tray correctly from day one (no accidents at all), if you use clumping cat litter and clean it frequently all the liquids and solids are completely covered in dry cat litter so that they don't in fact get any on themselves next time they visit, and cleaning it out isn't unpleasant, they don't smell, they keep themselves very clean all the time, and maybe because they're pedigree and therefore slightly inbred, their hunting ability only seems to extend to particularly vicious leaves and bits of twig, which they do bring us as presents from time to time.

Burmese apparently like to be high up, so their latest game is to climb a tree at the side of our house, jump onto the roof and then sit up there for hours on end.

Having said all that, if I ever start putting pictures of cats up in my house, or buy one of those witty "beware of the cat" type signs, or clothing or a bumper sticker that has a cat-related message or picture, I would like to be shot. And preferably be tortured first.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 10:10 PM

As someone who is mildly allergic to cats, I have to say that cats aren't as clean as everyone thinks. They shed quite a bit and leave a ton of dander around the house. And so if you're not a religious clean freak, then I can guarantee your house is filthy.

It's interesting to note that people who are allergic to cats are actually allergic to cat saliva. So when a cat licks itself, the allergen gets deposited on it's fur. This is turn gets left on your rug, couch, under your bed, etc. Whenever I walk into someone's house I can basically feel that they have a cat, and like I said, I'm only mildly allergic. Even if the house looks spotless, it's not. There's cat dander all over.

So ultimately your cat may be clean, but your house is most definitely not.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Arty50:
As someone who is mildly allergic to cats, I have to say that cats aren't as clean as everyone thinks. They shed quite a bit and leave a ton of dander around the house. And so if you're not a religious clean freak, then I can guarantee your house is filthy.

It's interesting to note that people who are allergic to cats are actually allergic to cat saliva. So when a cat licks itself, the allergen gets deposited on it's fur. This is turn gets left on your rug, couch, under your bed, etc. Whenever I walk into someone's house I can basically feel that they have a cat, and like I said, I'm only mildly allergic. Even if the house looks spotless, it's not. There's cat dander all over.

So ultimately your cat may be clean, but your house is most definitely not.
Certainly it's a problem, but you can mimimise it, by brushing your cat often (so that loose hair comes off on the brush, not your furniture), not letting your cats run amok all over the furniture, and cleaning the house regularly with a decent vacuum cleaner and brushes (rubber brushes are great) for furniture etc. Actually, because of the need to do this, and also because we have to keep loose items tidied away otherwise the cats tend to play (and possibly destroy) them, I reckon our house is actually cleaner now we have cats. We just needed an incentive!

Corintheus
Oct 31, 2003, 03:35 AM

Cats don't eat their own vomit. Dogs do. And in fact, dogs will eat a cat's vomit as well. I know, I've seen it.

Dogs are only clean when their owner is the one that cleans them. Dogs are completely dependant on their owners.

I often wonder how long a small white fluffy dog that looks akin to a tampon would last in the wild...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Corintheus:
I often wonder how long a small white fluffy dog that looks akin to a tampon would last in the wild...
It would be a bloody mess in no time at all.

(somebody shoot me for that one)

-s*

tintub
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
That tongue is interesting though. Wonder how it feels like, and whether you can wiggle the two forks independently?
You can <-- should find a forked tongue smiley, but it's my bedtime

gadster
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 09:46 AM

I just love the way, when dogs fart, they wag their tails and give you that stupid cheesy grin. You never get *that* from a cat.
e-gads

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by gadster:
I just love the way, when dogs fart, they wag their tails and give you that cheesy grin. You never get *that* from a cat.
This is true.

However, getting point-blank farted at in the morning by a cat who's had a fish dinner the night before is almost enough to drive a man to religion.

-s*

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 10:14 AM

I just love the way, when dogs fart, they wag their tails and give you that stupid cheesy grin. You never get *that* from a cat.
But that's what yer mates are for.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
You can <-- should find a forked tongue smiley, but it's my bedtime
Heh, that is actually really a cool body mod. But would it affect swallowing, or speech?

NO warning or grin from mine, they just lay down SBDs Ye gods!

ZackS
Banned
Nov 1, 2003, 06:55 PM

Dogs win this thread hands down but what's better than a poll? I'm starting one and directing discussion back here. Then we'll see what the public thinks.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
Dogs win this thread hands down
Which weird-ass thread have you just been reading? Obvious that cats win this one unless farting and looking stupid is a feature you value in your pets.

ZackS
Banned
Nov 1, 2003, 06:58 PM

Then why are dogs winning in a land-slide?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=186283

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 07:00 PM

Then why are dogs winning in a land-slide?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=186283
Not as of 11:00pm GMT.

ZackS
Banned
Nov 1, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Not as of 11:00pm GMT.
Cats WILL be crushinated.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 07:07 PM

Cats WILL be crushinated.
Mac OS 10.4 Chihuahua ... for me to poop on!

+1 for cats in the poll,

J

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2003, 09:03 PM

Kiss my furry feline arse

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

SomeToast
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 09:54 PM

And unless they magically develop infectious diseases on their own, neither is a housecat.

I just like animals. I have a cat, but I'll be getting a dog too at some point.

Might as well have a thread titled "Got a husband/wife? Got SARS too?" since you're far more likely to catch it from them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules