Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 90)
cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 6, 2015, 05:10 PM

I suspect Blaze will like compact machines. It lets you build machinery or circuitry into a 'sub-dimension' that exists inside of one block (size varies) and it interacts with the outside world. Not as big as the sub dimensions from "dimensional doors" but definitely cool. Think complex redstone circuits in one block...

what I'm curious to see is how RotaryCraft ends up working out...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2015, 05:31 PM

RotaryCraft is a very grindy mod. It takes allot of materials to even get started. And there's a very strict progression.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 6, 2015, 08:25 PM

OK, just from some quick pre-beta stress testing, the world generation is a bit choppy. Ergo, I fly around and it stutters. Looking at the server side, it's definitely a case of 'one to many mods generating mazes and such' so time to thin the herd a bit...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2015, 09:02 PM

There's also the pregen command in cofh

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 9, 2015, 12:16 PM

cycl0pse's lesson from the weekend: Turnkey Linux does not save configuration settings by default, so after a system reboot changes are lost if they are not manually committed. Sigh.

Short version: I have a good test ready to go but need to reset the web server settings. Just wanted to give a quick update.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2015, 02:15 PM

I leave for one weekend and all of a sudden there's a whole new server about to be launched.

Everything looks awesome, and past our usual crop of mods like Tinker's and the like this looks like a fun new set of mods to experiment with.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 26, 2015, 08:15 PM

New Technic Pack:

Polyphemus_R
http://api.technicpack.net/modpack/polyphemus-r
server: cycl0pse.dyndns.org:25570
max concurrent users: 7

The server can be finicky about web downloads, but I think I have it squared away now.

For a variety of reasons, I cannot easily get at my last current whitelist. I know I'm missing at least one off this. Can someone fill in the blanks for me?
Current whitelist:
exile72
fattymcblobicus
dakarzero
jawbone54
cycl0pse
andipandi
blaze_mkiv

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2015, 09:19 PM

Installing now

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2015, 09:23 PM

Hmmm, starts to launch Polyphemus in a separate window but seems to be crashing back to the launcher after a couple seconds.

Edit: Only thing in the console log that looked remotely useful...

[main/ERROR] [FML]: An error occurred trying to configure the minecraft home at (snip) for Forge Mod Loader
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 26, 2015 at 09:40 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2015, 10:29 PM

[EDIT] Ignore me. Trying to install now. Hopefully I don't have the same trouble.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Mar 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: 'Cause.)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2015, 10:47 PM

Installation went fine. Just crashes when trying to connect to the server.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 27, 2015, 06:06 AM

sek, that's an odd one for sure. I wonder if it failed getting the *.zip file from my webserver. let me check...

Jawbone, yup the MC service on the server stalled out. that's not very encouraging on my end. let me bounce it and see what I can get.

cycl0pse

EDIT: I also bumped the RAM allotment up by 500MB. We'll see if that works. If it doesn't, this server experiment might be a bust. The chassis I'm currently using has a 2GB memory limit (meant to be a lightweight firewall chassis). Granted, it's barely using 1GB at the moment but that doesn't mean we won't crush it.
Here's to hoping. Powering down the Dell server showed up on the electric bill this month. Was a rather dramatic drop in usage with it shut down ((!!!))
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Mar 27, 2015 at 06:47 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2015, 07:37 AM

Hmm no idea.

I deleted the modpack, reinstalled the launcher, played around with some java parameters...still nothing. Googling the issue leads to a problem with one of the mods not being updated properly, but seeing that JB fired it up just fine I'm guessing the problem is on my end somehow, sigh, I'll have to do some more google-fu.

Edit: Going to try and move back to Java 7 and see if that helps...

Editx2: Didn't work, guess I'll have to post my crash log to the technic forums and see if they can help me.
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 27, 2015 at 07:49 AM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2015, 09:42 AM

I missed this last night. I'll try tonight.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 27, 2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Hmm no idea.

I deleted the modpack, reinstalled the launcher, played around with some java parameters...still nothing. Googling the issue leads to a problem with one of the mods not being updated properly, but seeing that JB fired it up just fine I'm guessing the problem is on my end somehow, sigh, I'll have to do some more google-fu.

Edit: Going to try and move back to Java 7 and see if that helps...

Editx2: Didn't work, guess I'll have to post my crash log to the technic forums and see if they can help me.
http://cycl0pse.dyndns.org/PolyphemusR_1.zip

That's the link to the direct modpack files that Technic uses. In theory, you can fire up a 1.7.10 Forge client, load the mods, and connect that way. Not sure why you're having issues.

I am noticing that the mineOS interface is a bit of a jerk. Crashes all the time but doesn't seem to effect the server session. going to have to look into that...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2015, 02:08 PM

Going through Forge yielded the same results with the same error, I also noticed (in both instances) this little snippet.

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: mods/immibis/connectedglass/ConnectedGlass : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

Googling that error tells me that a particular mod doesn't like my version of Java, what version of Java are you guys running with success?

Edit: More googling shows that just downloading the latest Java Runtime Environment isn't enough, I need the latest version of the developer kit as well. Christ this is making my head hurt.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2015, 02:36 PM

Holy christ I finally got it working.

So even after installing the JRE and JDK my system was still defaulting to a version 6 executable file when trying to run forge, instead of installing the new JDK 7 over the previous version, it installed it in another location entirely. Original was system/library/etc.. new version was just /library/etc... So I changed the executable file path in the launcher (vanilla launcher) and BAM, she loaded.

That was a pain in the ass of epic proportions. There's a way to use the terminal to set the default JDK version, but that has no bearing on what the Minecraft launcher remembers apparently.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 27, 2015, 03:26 PM

if it matters, my client is running Java 8.31 ... but it seems you got it working!

Were you able to connect to the server?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 27, 2015, 04:09 PM

heads up for anyone using it....once you sign in hit [esc] for the main game menu then OPTIONS->CONTROLS and check your key mappings. Several mods overlap the key bindings. Overlapping keys are shown in red. You'll probably want to fix 'M' for the map first thing.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Holy christ I finally got it working.

So even after installing the JRE and JDK my system was still defaulting to a version 6 executable file when trying to run forge, instead of installing the new JDK 7 over the previous version, it installed it in another location entirely. Original was system/library/etc.. new version was just /library/etc... So I changed the executable file path in the launcher (vanilla launcher) and BAM, she loaded.

That was a pain in the ass of epic proportions. There's a way to use the terminal to set the default JDK version, but that has no bearing on what the Minecraft launcher remembers apparently.
Mojang is still using Apples Jar Bundler to package the launcher. Apple stopped maintaining Java and when Sun took it over they changed where they wanted JAVA_HOME. They then published a new version of Jar Bundler that uses they're version of JAVA_HOME. The trick is the app bundles produced contain JAVA_HOME in them, not asking the OS. So anything built with the Java 6 version of jar bundler won't find any java versions shipped by Oracle.

TLDR: the Technic people need to update their really old tools.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2015, 08:20 PM

well, as things stand the server is up and (relatively) stable. about the only significant issue is TPS lag. What exactly is that, you ask? Simply put, it's server side lag that's related to lots and lots of little things. On the old server, we saw lag when loading chunks (disk I/O) but on this server I'm seeing lag in Ticks Per Second. So, you break a block... and the block doesn't break, then does, then re-appears, then breaks for real. Or that creeper is coming at you, then disappears, then explodes suddenly... you get the general idea. I'm working with settings to see if I can clear it up, but it's possible that my new server might not have the CPU grunt needed for these kinds of MODs.

If that's the case, I can either resurrect the old server (read-as: turn it on ) or I can look at other alternatives for a server. Or I can start stripping out mods from this server. But for now, I'm going to see how bad it really is for a while and go from there.

As a side note: be aware that this modpack, for whatever reason, is very client side heavy. meaning I crash my local client about once or twice a day. So expect slight changes as we work through the bugs on this one.

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2015, 09:02 PM

Since inquiring minds wanted to know.... yes, the Dimensional Pockets are nestable. No, they don't have a hard limit, but nest enough of them and the server will get mad and snarl to a halt. (let's be nice and not nest them, OK?). Also, you CAN set them to transfer items into and out of the pocket. So consider this: an entire automated foundry in ONE BLOCK.

I'll leave you to your musings now.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2015, 10:12 AM

You're not on the whitelist?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 29, 2015, 11:18 AM

well, now. that is odd...

Troubleshooting commencing....

Code:
{ "uuid": "4bff7531-bd5d-4200-944f-dc5a6cfaabb4", "name": "BLAZE_MkIV" }, { "uuid": "a22f67fc-7d47-4018-8a91-910cce6ce712", "name": "Jawbone54" }, { "uuid": "51020fd9-4b96-4082-9a41-44f25a9507e1", "name": "Exile72" }, { "uuid": "ab852446-601c-4b96-b59d-5f2386c889fc", "name": "andipandi" }, { "uuid": "9b0469fe-4caa-46bd-9382-d84b9ecb904d", "name": "FattyMcBlobicus" }, { "uuid": "92be81e7-7402-4755-a317-2316cac45e6b", "name": "cycl0pse" }, { "uuid": "b56addd3-c93e-48d7-99aa-43bc3ff188aa", "name": "DakarZero" }

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 29, 2015, 02:22 PM

OK, now that I have THAT done with....
Server is back up. Please change your port to 25565 instead of 25570 (that would be cycl0pse.dyndns.org:25565)

Short version: I had to reinstall the server and restore a backup.
Long version: you really don't want to hear about the long version... just go with it

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 31, 2015, 02:54 PM

OK, I wasn't able to log in yesterday at all but the logs don't show anything strange. How has Mr. Server been behaving?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
OK, I wasn't able to log in yesterday at all but the logs don't show anything strange. How has Mr. Server been behaving?
I logged in just file this morning. And didn't have any problems around 8 last night.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2015, 05:05 PM

Server ran very well for me when Blaze was on, and afterwards as well.

Also I found out away to keep the map from losing your waypoints when you log off. Sign out, then back in again before logging off and quitting the program, don't ask me why but it works.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2015, 10:25 AM

Interesting discovery on the way-points. I"m wondering if it's related to Opis and how it modifies the launcher. I noticed I cannot use the OPIS overlay in the maps... might have to look into that one.

As for the server itself: before we all 'settle in' and start going on huge projects, what does everyone think of the current mix of MODs. Anything we want to add, remove, or adjust? Also, I think it would be best if we plan on not having chunk loaders available. If we experiment with them later and see they have no issues that's fine, but I'd prefer we just avoid them completely and design our equipment not to need them.

Comments?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 10:35 AM

Would you guys be interested in adding TreeCapacitor?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2015, 10:42 AM

Maybe. Early on we experienced some block lag, but I think I have that resolved. Given the size of some of the trees in this MODPACK I'd prefer a 'TreeCapitator' that either has some customizable settings or only effects leaves or has a size limit.

Anyone know of decent options for 1.7.10

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 04:58 PM

As for the server itself: before we all 'settle in' and start going on huge projects, what does everyone think of the current mix of MODs. Anything we want to add, remove, or adjust? Also, I think it would be best if we plan on not having chunk loaders available. If we experiment with them later and see they have no issues that's fine, but I'd prefer we just avoid them completely and design our equipment not to need them.

Comments?
I really like the mod list right now, can't think of anything that I would want besides Applied Energistics (storage is becoming a mess) but Extra Utilities can be used to make a fairly functional sorting system so that's not pressing.

As for chunk loading, Railcraft has options that run on "fuel" so they won't chunk load for weeks when someone isn't logged in. I'll probably not use those either.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Would you guys be interested in adding TreeCapacitor?
While that mod is awesome, you can craft a Lumber Axe with Tinker's that will fell an entire tree. Feel free to come by my place and use my smeltery to make yourself one.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2015, 07:35 PM

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2015, 09:01 AM

Blaze,
I was reading a bit on the boat lag issue we're having and apparently it's a bit of an issue in 1.7.10 at the moment. I may be able to clear it up some with specific Java settings, but I run the risk of creating more block lag by fixing the boat lag. As they say... it's always something. It might be that the obsidian boat mod is messing with the vanilla version. I'll have to test.

I'm planning on doing a quick mod update on the server and client pack this evening. Noting spectacular, but I do want to make some updates and tweaks. Specifically, I'm going to add the quick leaf decay mod and look at removing a fluff mod or two. Example: the In-Game-Wiki just isn't all it's cracked up to be, so off it goes. I'll also update any 'out of date' mods to get rid of the annoying messages. I may also tweak ore generation for new chunks using SimpleOres, but I'm still debating that one. I'm also going to add FastCraft to the client side (it's already server side) to see if it helps performance.

No exact timeline for when I'll do this tonight, so feel free to log in and do whatever. I'll let everyone know before I make the change if you're in-game.

cycl0pse

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2015, 09:25 AM

Trying to install on latest technic launcher, it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Trying to install on latest technic launcher, it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Hmmm... port forwarding table on my router got screwed up. Go ahead and give it a try now, it should be fine.

ahhh, computers.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2015, 10:28 AM

cranking along!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2015, 08:40 PM

I'm planning on doing a quick mod update on the server and client pack this evening. Noting spectacular, but I do want to make some updates and tweaks.
Since I'm not using the technic launcher can you make the new .zip archive available for download? I probably won't be on tonight so I'm assuming it'll be updated by the time I log on some time tomorrow.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2015, 01:29 PM

when I update I'll post a link to the mods as well. Didn't happen last night... was too busy playing minecraft

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2015, 03:45 PM

MODPACK UPDATE LIVE
PolyphemusR_2

Update your Technic launcer or download the new mods here:
http://cycl0pse.dyndns.org\PolyphemusR_21.zip

cycl0pse
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Apr 3, 2015 at 03:57 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2015, 06:00 PM

I'll be on later tonight, thanks for the link!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2015, 06:03 PM

It's somewhat amazing, but removing that InGameWiki mod has made a big difference in how my client responds. it also reduced the MODPACK size by over 20MB.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 6, 2015, 10:18 AM

Next Planned MODPACK Update
--------------------------------------------

From what I can see in the logs and from talking to Sek and Blaze the server has been running nice and stable all weekend. That makes this a perfect time to screw things up and do another round of updates!

There are two main things I want to do. First, I neglected to add the leaf decay MOD Blaze suggested in the last round of updates. Second, I want to experiment with RotaryCraft configurations in an attempt to disable the machinery noise (all those poor sheep losing their wool as sound insulation... oh the humanity... ). Finally, I'd like to open the floor for any additional MODs people would like to see. We're still early enough in the process that adding a MOD or two should not dramatically effect things. Now, so we're all on the same page of the program, I'd like to avoid a few MODs because 1) they really are OP and 2) they crush the server if used incorrectly. Specifically, Industrial Machines really, REALLY, gets things OP in a hurry. Now, if we really don't care about OPness and want to run Monty Haul, that's fine with me (I just build stuff). Buildcraft, as much as I like it, tends to irritate Mr. Server when we start quarrying whole chunks at a time (and you all know we will ). I'd also like to avoid Thaumcraft just because, frankly, we've already ridden that horse and I like keeping things new. Also, Thaumcraft is the DEFENITION of OP as defined by just about anyone who has played it.

So, those thoughts out there, anyone have a suggestion? Remember 1.7.10 is our server flavor.

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2015, 01:51 PM

I have two suggestions.

Tinker's Mechworks (or whichever has drawbridges in it) and Applied Energistics 2. I did just get a decent sorting system running with Extra Utilities, but AE is always awesome for heavy crafting, which a lot of the tech mods have in spades.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2015, 03:27 PM

You can do predefined autocrafting using Extra Utilities world interaction upgrades and crafting tables. The Rotarycraft table is trigger-able with redstone, I haven't tried it with vanilla recipes. I'm thinking no though. If there are specific parts of mods you dislike MineTweaker will let you disable them.

Suggestions:
Morpheus

To consider:
Steves Factory Manager: It's a nice mid way between computercraft and AE. It's better than AE at interacting with the world. Easier to "program" than computercraft. Doesn't have magic storage like AE. It does make automated non-tree farms very easy though. And it doesn't effect world gen, not that you're afraid of that. I generated a no structures flat map and the modded dungeons still generated.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 6, 2015, 08:55 PM

Good points to ponder by all so far. All reasonable suggestions. As of now, here's what the update will have:
FastLeafDecay
Morpheus

I'm reading up on Steve's Factory Manager and will probably include it... but I want to finish reading first.
I'm also looking into some other mods. While I like the idea of ReactorCraft from a 'that is cool' perspective, I dread it from the 'too realistic' angle.
...I also really don't have that kind of time.

looking at a few others now. I will say that I'm leaning away from AE because on the server side it's a bit of a memory hog and I've got very limited memory. In testing I was getting real close to maxing out the 2GB with it. If I ever upgrade the memory we can add it, but for now I don't think it's a good idea.

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2015, 12:20 PM

looking at a few others now. I will say that I'm leaning away from AE because on the server side it's a bit of a memory hog and I've got very limited memory. In testing I was getting real close to maxing out the 2GB with it. If I ever upgrade the memory we can add it, but for now I don't think it's a good idea.

cycl0pse
It's all good, I didn't realize it was such a resource-hungry mod, I can totally live without it and it gives me a chance to really refine my Extra Utilities system.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 7, 2015, 02:58 PM

One thing I love about Extra Utilities is that they really worked hard to optimize it server-side. By example, their 'tubes' use hopper mechanics from the core minecraft code, so no extra processor cycle ticks are used. They don't do 'item movement' graphics like Buildcraft, also a server friendly approach. Finally, they really aren't OP.. and while that may not seem server friendly, I've noticed that when we all start reaching end-game the server workload goes way up as it keeps up with our machines and empires.

Now, AE has a lot going for it. It's not processor, or tick, intensive. It doesn't go crazy with item movement graphics. All in all it's very nice. BUT... it's performance comes from high memory usage. It's a trend out there in modded minecraft land to throw gobs and gobs of memory at the program to speed things up. Heck, a lot of people have linux create a RAMDISK, load the MC server to that, then run it all from RAM (with synchronizations back to the hard drive as needed).

I'd be lying if I didn't consider firing up the old server and setting it up this way. However, I'm rather enjoying the lower electric bill right now (Especially since our rates nearly doubled (!) ). I might have to shop around for a lightweight server. I'll get around to it one of these days

OK, so a few other mods I"m adding to the above:

Steve's Factory Manager is in definitely.
Greg's Lighting MOD (think floodlights)
TMechworks (drawbridges and such for TConstruct)

I'm hoping to pack this up late tonight to test and roll it out before the weekend. As usual, I'll verify the server is empty before changing anything.

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 7, 2015, 07:14 PM

UPDATED!

Make sure Technic updates. For those not using the Technic launcher, mods are here:
http://cycl0pse.dyndns.org/PolyphemusR_4.zip

cycl0pse

Forum Links
Forum Rules