Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My powerbook has a stuck pixel

My powerbook has a stuck pixel
DeusExMachina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 11:26 PM

My 15" powerbook has one blue stuck pixel on the top left. being quite honest it is barely noticeable unless the surrounding area is black. I in fact have to get kinda close to the screen and look for it if I have a blue or light colored background, and it doesn't really stand out that much. the only time it really stands out is when there is black surrounding it. does one stuck pixel mean that your screen may get more later, or is it just a one time thing. I bought my powerbook at the apple store so I am wondering if a stuck pixel is worth getting my powerbook repaired or exchange for.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 12:51 AM

One stuck pixel is one stuck pixel, and not necessairly indicitive of future failures. Dead pixels result from manufacturing defects and are pretty close to random.
Unless you bought it recently enough to get a replacement, Apple won't repair it under warranty. You need 5-8 dead/stuck pixels to get a new screen with AppleCare.

DeusExMachina  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 01:30 AM

I just bought it last saturday

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 02:25 AM

Go to the store and try to get a replacement. I wish you luck, LCD defects are annoying.

Mike656
Nov 14, 2005, 09:36 PM

I just got my Powerbook back from Applecare due to a failing HDD, and to my suprise, they replaced my screen (didn't even ask them to). I have had one red stuck pixel since I bought the machine new in Dec 03, which while annoying, wasnt worth making a fuss over. Needless to say I had a big smile when I saw the repair list.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 10:19 PM

try tapping your stuck pixel. (not too hard) it sounds bizarre, but i had one that just appeared once and i tapped it as a joke, after rubbing it didn't work, and it vanished.

it came back a few weeks later, i tapped it again, it went away and never came back.
it's worth a shot.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2005, 08:56 AM

Take it back - that's what I did.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
My 15" powerbook has one blue stuck pixel on the top left. being quite honest it is barely noticeable unless the surrounding area is black. I in fact have to get kinda close to the screen and look for it if I have a blue or light colored background, and it doesn't really stand out that much. the only time it really stands out is when there is black surrounding it. does one stuck pixel mean that your screen may get more later, or is it just a one time thing. I bought my powerbook at the apple store so I am wondering if a stuck pixel is worth getting my powerbook repaired or exchange for.
It's not worth taking it back, especially paying a restocking fee.

Stuck pixels are fixable, there is a movie floating around that flashes random colors on your screen and should fix any problems you have. I've used it on my PSP and many people have used it on their notebook LCD's with much success.

You can also try massaging the area. Don't need to apply much pressure and the pixel should come unstuck. I've done it on a few LCD's and never had a problem again.
MBP 1.83

Forum Links
Forum Rules