Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Can somebody translate this for me?

Can somebody translate this for me?
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2017, 06:54 PM

Preferably not one our resident libs waragainstsleep
I can't reformulate it to make sense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...52_story.html?
“It used to be in the [county hospital] waiting room you would see white and black, but mostly black. You go into the waiting room now, you see Latinos. They’re the ones having the babies,” said Oakes, a grandmother of seven and great-grandmother of one who is retired from an agency that provided in-home health care. “So, you know, whites will be the minority very soon.”

When asked if that worries her, Oakes replied, “Well, I believe in Christian values.”

When asked what she meant by that, Oakes gestured to Curtis Nelson, an African American employee at Bojangles’ who is a pastor at a local church, voted for Trump and often stops by to chat with the breakfast club.

“Curtis knows I love Curtis as much as anybody — but I believe in Christian values,” she said, adding that she has a friend who legally immigrated from Mexico and that she is supportive of a Latino church that started in the county.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2017, 09:52 PM

She's really, really old? She's probably so old she remembers her grandmother telling her about how her grandfather went off to fight the Kaiser and never came home. Elderly people say the damnedest things sometimes.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2017, 07:33 AM

It sounds like a more subtle form of racism I've encountered. Its not the hatred of the supremacists, its based on a fear that one minority or another is 'taking' over some traditional area or neighbourhood and a new culture is becoming prolific. Its another symptom of the destructive skewed nostalgia that has been getting both our countries into big messes of late.
People over a certain age have fond childhood memories of the places they grew up which at the time were entirely populated by white people and when they look around now, the streets and buildings are several decades older, might be more run down and the people they used to know and stop to say hello to in the street don't even speak the same language as a preference. They feel like they've lost ownership of their home area and rather than embrace new culture and new friends they go with fear and isolationism instead.
Its not a bad definition for distinguishing xenophobia from all out racism. Its still racist because its the notion that a neighbourhood being non-white is bad or less good. These people like being the majority and while they happily tolerate the odd few outsiders, once their cultural power and influence comes under threat they start making poor political choices.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

It sounds like they've fallen for Trump's shtick hook, line, and sinker. "If anything doesn't work, it's the fault of those lousy politicians, Trump just wants the best for us."

“President Trump has talked more about Christian values than any of the last two or three presidents that we’ve had,” said Wayne Overton, 79, who is retired from the Postal Service and now raises cows on a farm a few miles outside of town and tours the country in a motor home.
That's patently false. Someone did an entire research paper on Bush's use of Christian imagery in his foreign policy discussions. W invoked God in his big speeches more than any president since Roosevelt. Plenty of articles point out that Obama invokes Jesus' name even more than Bush did.

They don't live in reality, they live in a fantasy world fed by whatever terrifying media they choose to consume. If you're excited that Trump is finally bringing Christianity back into the White House, I don't know how to help you.

With regards to the "Christian Values" comment, I have no clue. There are no white people in the Bible, so I don't know what it has to do with being overrun with brown people. In Genesis, God commanded Adam and Eve to "Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it!" Maybe if brown people are having more babies, that means white people aren't doing a good job of fulfilling the commandment that God didn't specifically give to white people?

She sounds like she'd be a fan of "separate but equal."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2017, 10:06 AM

The rest I understood and the W thing caught my attention as well. Part of the reason Bush was elected was because of the contrast of his faith versus Climate neons immorality. That it's forgotten 10 years later by people who voted for him is frightening.

Edit: Then again, the GOP have effectively tried to pretend most of the Bush years didn't happen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 22, 2017, 10:33 AM

I'd be $1,000,000 that they believe Obama is a Muslim and that he's not an American citizen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2017, 10:53 AM

I mean the positive takeaway for me on this is all these people are pretty old. That unintelligible Christian values comment would worry me a lot more if the person was half their actual age.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'd be $1,000,000 that they believe Obama is a Muslim and that he's not an American citizen.
That he's not Christian at the very least.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That he's not Christian at the very least.
Has anyone heard of Obama attending any church service since leaving office?
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
It sounds like a more subtle form of racism I've encountered. Its not the hatred of the supremacists, its based on a fear that one minority or another is 'taking' over some traditional area or neighbourhood and a new culture is becoming prolific. Its another symptom of the destructive skewed nostalgia that has been getting both our countries into big messes of late.
People over a certain age have fond childhood memories of the places they grew up which at the time were entirely populated by white people and when they look around now, the streets and buildings are several decades older, might be more run down and the people they used to know and stop to say hello to in the street don't even speak the same language as a preference. They feel like they've lost ownership of their home area and rather than embrace new culture and new friends they go with fear and isolationism instead.
Its not a bad definition for distinguishing xenophobia from all out racism. Its still racist because its the notion that a neighbourhood being non-white is bad or less good. These people like being the majority and while they happily tolerate the odd few outsiders, once their cultural power and influence comes under threat they start making poor political choices.
Latinos are the largest minority group now. They're the majority in some cities in the west, LA for one. I think San Antonio is another.

Most of the people in that part of the country are Protestant. Latinos are>80% Catholic.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Has anyone heard of Obama attending any church service since leaving office?
Has anyone heard of Trump attending any church service before campaigning for office?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2017, 01:20 PM

Latinos are>80% Catholic.
You mean identify as Catholic. Your definition of catholic precludes a lot of people AFAIK

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 01:39 PM

There is a very long history in the USA of "Christian" and "White" being thought of as essentially interchangeable.

Christian Identity (also known as Identity Christianity[1]) is a white separatist interpretation of Christianity which advocates the belief that Germanic peoples (including Anglo-Saxon, Nordic peoples[disambiguation needed]) and people of kindred blood are the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and hence the descendants of the ancient Israelites (primarily as a result of the Assyrian captivity).

CI is not an organized religion; instead, it is independently practiced by individuals, churches and some prison gangs.[2] Its theology promotes a racial interpretation of Christianity.[3][4] Christian Identity beliefs were primarily developed and promoted by two authors who regarded Europeans as the "chosen people" and Jews as the cursed offspring of Cain, the "serpent hybrid" or serpent seed (a belief known as the two-seedline doctrine). White supremacist sects and gangs later adopted many of these teachings.

Christian Identity dictates that all non-whites (people not of wholly European descent) on the planet will either be exterminated or enslaved (Dominion Theology) in order to serve the White race in the new Heavenly Kingdom on Earth under the reign of Jesus Christ.[citation needed] Its doctrine states that only "Adamic" (white people) can achieve salvation and paradise. Many adherents are Millennialist.

Adherents of Christian Identity refer to non-whites as "mamzers" or "tares".
"Christian Identity", "White Nationalist", "Neo-Nazi", "Alt-Right" .... they are all just slightly different "flavors" of the same fundamental right-wing mentality.

OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2017, 02:06 PM

Latinos are the largest minority group now. They're the majority in some cities in the west, LA for one. I think San Antonio is another.

Most of the people in that part of the country are Protestant. Latinos are>80% Catholic.
I'm not sure I see the connection between your comment and mine here. Are you reinforcing my observations or contradicting them?
My point is that white people who grew up in white areas and rarely saw anyone non-white until they were in their 30s or 40s or so are no longer seeing any white people when they walk down the same streets they always have. This seems to bother them greatly. I think its a mix the usual xenophobia, ignorance and the odd obsession that most other people seem to have about their cultural heritage or identities.

I know a 50 year old Jewish woman from London who thinks exactly like this. Her predominantly Jewish and white neighbourhood now has lots of black people and asians (middle east asians over here) and this makes her uncomfortable. Its very common sadly.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules