Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > NOW what!!

NOW what!!
redeew
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2001, 09:32 PM

So some how or another my Quicktime got screwed up and I had to download 5.0 again. I bombed on restart.I put Quickdraw 3D in the disabled extentions folder (it`s messed with me before) and I trashed Desktop DB and DF. Restart. OK. I ran DiskFirstAid, problem:invalid BTree Header,0,0(this one happens a lot, Anyone know why?) and missing custom icon, repair,restart. OK. So I run PhotoShop (it uses a lot of memory so it`s good for finding problems) and it`s "real"slow. I look in some of my photo folders and about a quarter of the files have been converted into QuickTime files (??). I try to use Desktop Pictures and it can`t find any pictures of any type in any folder.
HELP!!!
Brought to you by the Performa 6320
with 48mb ram and a StarMax 3000/160 with 96mb ram and both on OS 8.1
And of course Netscape 4.79

DarwinX
Jun 11, 2001, 11:43 PM

My first thought is to check out the File Type Associations in the File Exchange Control Panel to make sure the files are properly assigned to Photoshop and not Quicktime. Also when you repaired the drive did you startup from another volume such as a CD? I think this is recommended by Apple. Might also want to rebuild your desktop. Those are my thoughts, hope you get it figured out!

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 11:48 AM

Do a clean install of your system software. Then rebuild the desktop. This should solve most of your problems, and you should do it once in a while anyway even if there's nothing wrong with your computer.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 08:18 PM

I managed to get it working right.But what`s causing it??What`s a BTree Header?

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 08:38 PM

The B-Tree has something to do with your hard drive's format. Try using Drive Setup to update the hard disk drivers. If you have a good hard disk diagnostic utility, use it, otherwise use Disk First Aid.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 11:31 PM

I don`t have anyway to back-up "all" my files so I gotta go with DiskFirstAid. Although I evidently screwed up by not doing it off the OS 8 CD before I will this time around.

And TechTool always says that everything is OK.No matter what`s screwing up(??).

Forum Links
Forum Rules