Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Gamecube on the Powerbook

Gamecube on the Powerbook
y2kerr
Jul 1, 2003, 02:29 PM

I'm going to buy a Powerbook at some point in the summer, and I'm thinking of buying a Gamecube as well. I'll be moving to Japan in the fall for a year or longer, and when I get there, I'd like to avoid bringing a TV or buying one there.

Is it possible to hook the Gamecube up to a Powerbook either directly or through some sort of adapter?

Thanks,
Mike

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 02:48 PM

Unfortunately, PowerBook's don't offer any type of "video-input", so there'd be no way to export the graphics from the Gamecube onto the PowerBook's screen unless there's some magic method I'm unaware of.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

idyll
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 02:55 PM

Sorry, this is off topic but.. Assasyn, didn't you used to have a 17" PowerBook? Did you trade it for a 12" or what?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 03:00 PM

Short version: With my new 17" PB, I've now had 2 computers at once in my home for the first time in my life, and I can't live without 2 computers running side-by-side anymore, not even in college. So when I enter college, I want 2 computers (a desktop and a very mobile notebook). PLUS, the smaller notebook will be much more portable going from class to class, and I want to use the leftover cash to get a tower, which is what I'll connect the 23" HD Display to.

Long version: Read This Thread
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

idyll
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the reply . Believe it or not, I did the same thing as you.. impatiently awaiting my PowerMac G5.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 03:10 PM

Hehe, I don't blame you...I'm already plotting to get a G5 by Christmas
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

doctre
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 03:19 PM

Actually this can "technically" be done. You need a A/V to DV conversion box like the Formac Studio that can take the input from the GC and convert it to DV that you can view in iMovie. Its expensive but it'll work.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2003, 03:55 PM

Long story short, it can be done, but it's not worth it.

Go to a "recycle shop" when you get to Japan. I got a big-screen TV for like $40. It was old and not the greatest, but more than good enough for my purposes. I'm sure you can find a cheap TV that you can just junk when you leave.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 04:09 PM

My dad borrowed a Canopus ADVC-100 from work, and it works very well for Analog > DV conversion. has stereo RCA audio input, a mini jack audio input, RCA video input, and 2 S-Video inputs, as well as RCA/S-Video output, and a passthrough (but unpowered) firewire port. The input is selectable between analog and the firewire port, and it works perfectly with iMovie and as a video source in iChat. i believe they're about $300 new, and highly recommended if you want TV/Analog video on your PB

y2kerr  (op)
Jul 1, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
My dad borrowed a Canopus ADVC-100 from work, and it works very well for Analog > DV conversion. has stereo RCA audio input, a mini jack audio input, RCA video input, and 2 S-Video inputs, as well as RCA/S-Video output, and a passthrough (but unpowered) firewire port. The input is selectable between analog and the firewire port, and it works perfectly with iMovie and as a video source in iChat. i believe they're about $300 new, and highly recommended if you want TV/Analog video on your PB
$300! That's a bit steep just to play games on the Powerbook. I think I'll take Icruise's advice and buy a cheap TV when I get there.

That's if I actually buy the Gamecube, though. I probably wouldn't be considering it if the 15" alBook had been released at WWDC last week. You hear me Jobs? I'm thinking of spending money on non-Apple stuff now! Hurry up and release the new 15"s!

For CDN $200 with a game, though, I'm finding it hard to resist picking a Gamecube up. But that plus a PowerBook plus a iPod = one expensive summer.

Anyway, thanks for your advice guys!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 06:06 PM

Weird, one of my friends is in the exact same situation only with a ps2 instead of a GameCube. Anyway, I reffered him to my Dazzle FireWire DV Bridge. It lets you convert analog video to digital, so using a program like BTV you can plug any video source into your FireWire port and use your computer to view it.

Are you going on the JET Program by any chance?

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 06:37 PM

cant you just use eyeTV or something ( i forget what its called) then your mac could double as a TV and and video game system

ps anyone have any experience with eyeTV? Hows it work?

anoetic
Jul 1, 2003, 07:20 PM

the eyeTV or any other usb or firewire TV adapter (maybe MyTV) should work. It acts as the TV tuner and uses your monitor as the screen. The only downsides are the framerate (make sure it works at 30 fps) and make sure the outputs from the gamecube correspond to the inputs on the eyeTV (Coaxial, S-video, or RCA). At worst you may also have to buy an adapter for the gamecube that works with a coaxial connection. This way you can play games and also watch and record TV shows on your powerbook.

tisoncam
Jul 1, 2003, 07:47 PM

I have actually been able to get this to work with my Xbox on my 12" PB. I use a myTV2Gofm (think really cheap version of eyetv--or whatever it is called). The games don't look as pretty but it does work and they are playable. I would get an svideo connector though as the quality is a little better--you will also need to purchase a RCA--1/8" converter to pass the sound through the laptop speakers. All in all it is a workable solution, although I get better picture quality from my TV.

A hong kong company also makes VGA-Xbox (or PS2/GC) adapters that let you use a VGA monitor as a TV for the games.

Additionaly a US company just released a piece of hardware that will allow you to turn a standard VGA monitor into a digital TV
http://www.alltekvision.com/

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 09:14 PM

Actually, as I was considering doing this someday. If you want to have a little fun...

take the gamecube and hook it up to a DV box (either formac or eyetv) set quicktime streaming server to run it's video high quality (network only of course).

Take your laptop and get to the streaming video wherever you are, have a souped up controller and enjoy
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

kakashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 02:46 AM

Don't get the eyeTV for hooking consoles up to your computer. It has about a 2-3 second or so delay of when signals get passed to it. e.g. you press A to jump and you'll jump in 2-3 seconds. However, for tv, the eyeTV rocks! i love it!
tempus fugit

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by kakashi:
Don't get the eyeTV for hooking consoles up to your computer. It has about a 2-3 second or so delay of when signals get passed to it. e.g. you press A to jump and you'll jump in 2-3 seconds. However, for tv, the eyeTV rocks! i love it!
Same with the Formac Studio it has a pretty large delay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules