Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > which cpu fan to get to quiet a DP 867?

which cpu fan to get to quiet a DP 867?
hotani
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 12:56 PM

I know this topic has been run into the ground, but with all my searching I am unable to find an answer to my question:

Which replacement 120mm CPU fan is the best (read: quietest) replacement for my DP 867 box?

I have the Apple kit installed, and although it did quiet the power supply quite a bit, the cpu fan is still loud, and I know there are quieter ones out there.

It would be nice to find one that is plug and play - I know some come with different connecters than the two pronged connector currently in there.

Someone mentioned a Vantec Stealth fan which claims to typically reduce fan noise by 80%. For the 120mm fan, it claims 53 CFM and 28 dBA - what CFM is the stock fan? dBA?

NOTE: if you are thinking about posting a comment that reads "stop complaining about the MDDs!" or some other crap, please don't bother. You waste space in my thread.

thanks!
( Last edited by hotani; Sep 23, 2003 at 01:15 PM. )
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

freaktornado
Sep 23, 2003, 01:35 PM

I got a Vantec fan for an external SCSI box and it made a huge difference, the box is nearly silent now.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 03:46 PM

anyone know if the connector will work on the stealth fan? It says they come with a 3-4 pin connector, but my fan is a 2. Is there a way to safely convert?
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

galarneau
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 07:31 PM

Cooling fan wiring is very simple: There will be 2 or 3 wires

Red: +12 volts
Black: Ground
Yellow: RPM sensor

I have an 80mm Vantec sitting here in front of me and it has those 3 wires.

What you need to do is either:

1) Find the appropriate connector that your original fan uses, and then solder that to the red and black leads of the new fan

or

2) Find a converter that converts from a 3 pin fan connector to 2 pin connector

Good luck

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 07:53 PM

just purchased a panaflo fan from a computer shop here in Boulder - it ran me a whopping $5.

It had 2 wires, but 3 prong and 4 prong connectors instead of 2. I chopped off the connector for the stock fan and spliced the wires to make it work. Not a pretty solution, but at least I don't have the diesel engine on my desk anymore.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2003, 08:08 PM

$5 for a panaflo fan???

I know this fan is good and quite...but how come the price is dirt cheap.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 11:55 PM

don't know why it was so cheap - I got it at a big computer shop that deals in surplus and used equipment. My fan appears to be brand new, but there was no packaging - just the fan which had been sitting in a bin with a bunch of others.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules