Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Opening the GarageBand can of worms

Opening the GarageBand can of worms
swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 2, 2004, 11:38 AM

Ok I've decided to ask everyone what they want to see in the interface for the GarageBand theme. I just have a few requests:

Please read these first
1. Anything regarding the wood texture will be done later if/when the tools make it appliable(my own word) system-wide. So for now wood is a future addition.

2. Keep the suggestions focuse on GarageBand elements only, Im not trying to creat a new original "best theme ever". Just a cohesive GarageBand GUI for the system.

Im asking because the GarageBand interface is filled with so many aesthetically different types of elements I want to know what you, the users will find is best mixed together.

Would you rather it be mainly focused around the dark metal elements or a mixture, just like GarageBand is. Ive already started it and thus far I am following the GB standard of usign all the different styles of elements. Im just concerned that if released like this people will be unhappy with it because it really lacks the aesthetic cohesiveness I usually try to attain. But then again that is GarageBand. I dont mind taking a chance and sticking with the form GB has created. I just want you the user to know my reasoning behind doing so.
Also keep in mind, GB's interface as an application will probably work better than the GUI as a system theme because GB's elements are assembled to create a visual hierarchy whereas the MacOS is assembled using a completely different hierarchy. With the many different element styles. This could create a "patchworky" feel in the OS.

Anyhow. Thoughts?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Makki
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 01:12 PM

I like your idea of the GB theme being kinda mixed just like the GarageBand app is. I think if some like the dark metal elements idea then maybe it could be a subtheme choice. That way we could have a choice between that and the mixed elements look.

Just my thoughts hope it helps. I do believe though to keep true to GB as you said.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 2, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Makki:
I like you idea of the GB theme being kinda mixed just like the GarageBand app is. I think if some like the dark metal elements then maybe it could be a subtheme choice. That way we could have a choice between that and the mixed elements look.

Just my thoughts hope it helps. I do believe though to keep true to GB as you said.
Right. My timeline is pretty much centered on getting a true to GarageBand theme released, then variants of that will be added according to user feedback.

I guess I kinda just answered my own inquiry. Thanks.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 01:15 PM

#1 I thought you were leaving themeing?

#2 I personally don't like applications that are skinned and would rather garageband just be aqua... but oh well, that's just me.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 2, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
#1 I thought you were leaving themeing?

#2 I personally don't like applications that are skinned and would rather garageband just be aqua... but oh well, that's just me.
#1 This has been addressed already
Explanation regarding the Swiz "retirement"
7th post in the thread (by me) Explains what you have missed.

#2 I agree, but according to my inbox there is another school of thought out there too. It intrigued me so I am persuing it.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 02:55 PM

Swiz, as you'll no doubt see from the smart-ass comments sure to be here in this thread, you're never gonna please everybody.

Make something YOU'RE happy with and many of us will enjoy it, some of us won't and that's just the way these things go.

As for me, since you did ask:

- I like Garage Band's dark titlebar with traffic light widgets.
- I like the white fonts on a dark background.
- I actually like the woodgrain cabinet ends, although I understand in your theme this'll come later.
- I think I like the green selection highlights
- I don't like the green AND the blue selection highlights in the same app.
- I don't like the haphazard use of Aqua elements in a non-Aqua app.

I never really gave this app's GUI a close look until right now. It really is kind of a mess.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 06:20 PM

I think you should do whatever makes you most happy mate, because you're going to spending much time looking at it

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 07:20 PM

:: I like the mixture of elements.

:: IMO It distinguishes the controls
:: from each other a little better.

:: Fluid

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 07:47 PM

I think you should make it as much like Garage Band as possible while eliminating all the Aqua elements except maybe the traffic lights. If people are into the Aqua look they probably won't be installing a theme in the first place!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 08:25 PM

i agree. keep it close to how it is but of course your artistic abilities to refine it too. i for one, would abandon the traffic lights and other aqua elements. i think this would make it much more sophisticated.
best of luck. can't wait to see this one!
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 08:45 PM

:: KEEP THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS!

:: If you are going for as close to the
:: actual GarageBand keep them.

:: The only thing I suggest and this
:: goes for Max too, Try and make the
:: lights match the ones on Apple's PR site.

:: Fluid

quandarry
Mar 2, 2004, 10:11 PM

just do the ****ing theme and never mind starting a thread till it's finished and released.

all that's needed is more threads for snot nosed kids to beg and whine in.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 11:04 PM

LOL! LOLOLOLOLOL!
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 2, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
just do the ****ing theme and never mind starting a thread till it's finished and released.

This usually is my train of thought but I was genuinely interested in the thoughts of those who care. I know who to disregard and who to consider helpful.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:

Originally posted by bluevertical:
LOL! LOLOLOLOLOL!
Funny...

Ya, I like the mix. You could call it GarageBand Mixed SwizStyle. SwizStyle sounds too damn cool.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2004, 11:06 AM

Hi Swiz, 2 things...

1 check your m's about the jetblack sofa theme
and 2 you mind if I piggy back a sofa theme for the garage band ui?

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2004, 01:00 PM

My favorite part of GarageBand is the gray metal buttons between the timeline and the library. As long as those make it in, I'll be happy.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 8, 2004, 01:34 PM

Workign with GarageBand while developing it into a GUI I am realizing how minimal this theme will differ from pure Aqua.

1. Window titlebars
2. Brushed metal treatment
3. Window PPATS(toolbar backgrounds)
4. Finder toolbar buttons

Regarding the dark gray GarageBand buttons:
I was thinking about making all push buttons the gray style as mentioned above by rhythmicmoose. Naturally, this makes me want to make the popup buttons match this style too but in GarageBand they are just Aqua. I really want this to blend in with GarageBand in its virgin form as well as possible so I think leaving the popup buttons as Aqua is the correct choice. But then by that thinking, the push buttons should remain Aqua too because the "control" buttons (the dark gray ones) are a specific button for a specific control function and are separate from the Aqua elements.

My question is this:
Should I make all push buttons the dark gray style as well as the popups and leave the rest of the controls Aqua or just the push buttons dark gray?

After I make this decision the theme is ready for release as soon as the ShapeShifter release which allows for metal textures is available.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 02:05 PM

I am going to do my best to keep the sofa GB theme as similar to swiz's UI as possible and as close to his release as possible.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 02:40 PM

swiz, I think you should do whatever you think looks best.

Personally I would substitute as much new Garage Band UI for Aqua as possible, even if it's Aqua in Garage Band. The whole reason I use a theme is to customize my computer (i.e. get away from stock Aqua). I would imagine this is true for many people. So while it may not hold true to Garage Band down to the most minute detail, if it still looks good and keeps Garage Band elements, then why not.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 07:32 PM

I say forget Aqua, the only reason it's used in GarageBand is because it had to match Panther a bit. I say go with the GarageBand only elements. The theme would look great with the App too that way because it would be a complete matching interface.
I don't know what they were thinking putting the white buttons in it though, forget them they don't match anything.
click one

lenox
Senior User
Mar 10, 2004, 02:25 PM

I agree with replacing the aqua elements with something a bit more cohesive. A theme is either an aqua replacement, or a slight modification of aqua. I guess I mean, people choose themes because A) they want something completely different than aqua, or B) they want a slight variation of aqua that apple does not allow in the default installation.

Perhaps there can be different versions to appeal to both?

Drifter
Mar 10, 2004, 08:33 PM

Keep the brushed. Ditch everything else. I like the looks so far. Lose all pinstripes, too. Make it like the DVD Player pull-out buttons.
Mind telling us how you got those glowing symbols in the comboboxes in the metal texture to...glow? I couldn't find a good emulation in PS.
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Drifter:
Keep the brushed. Ditch everything else. I like the looks so far. Lose all pinstripes, too. Make it like the DVD Player pull-out buttons.
Mind telling us how you got those glowing symbols in the comboboxes in the metal texture to...glow? I couldn't find a good emulation in PS.
Blending Options -> Outer glow - fiddle fiddle

Forum Links
Forum Rules