Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Proofing Printer

Proofing Printer
Drifter
Jun 25, 2004, 10:01 AM

Yeah, I'm looking for a new printer to print some proofs for my design firm, and I was wondering if anyone had a nice sub-$1000 printer. Any suggestions?
I'm looking at the SP 2200 at the moment, but is there anything better out there?
Min 7 colors.

No HP printer suggestions. Their driver support sucks.
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2004, 10:24 PM

If you mean literally a proof printer (not just for comps) you will need to look into RIP software also, which may affect your printer choice. Check out iProof RIP software for OSX.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 11:29 AM

you won't get a color-accurate matching system for less than $1,000. if you just want lasers then you're fine.

i went through this last year and started looking at lower end machines. after doing me research and reviewing my needs i determined i needed a much more expensive printer. in the end i bought the xerox 7700dn. they run approximately $7,000. it gives me great prints, has a 5GB hard drive and is lightning fast.

i function like an ad agency and charge like one too. that includes my lasers for presentation / approvals. doing so paid for my printer in less than one month. now i own it free and clear. that's something to consider.

you might want to look into lease programs for a printer. i also found some smart deals on them on ebay but decided to go new. the company i bought mine from is:

http://www.lasergrafix.com/

good luck.

btw, this printer is not for color proofing.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 12:05 PM

I manage a Epson 7600 for this purpose, and after getting everything lined up for color management (monitors calibrated, color spaces chosen, etc), I am getting excellent results from the printer (printing through PDF.. not directly from programs).

I do have to warn people that this printer is very balky, and I spend a lot of time coaxing it into behaving (and cursing it out when it doesn't), but the results are great. We actually get results closer to the final print than our printer's proofing machine (splitting hairs here... but).

This is over $1000, but it is also a 24" wide printer, and has made me wonder if the newer desktop wide format printer from Epson would be worth looking into.

Personally, I would have looked at HP's competitor to the 7600, but I was not involved in the decision.

Drifter  (op)
Jun 28, 2004, 12:31 PM

First off, my budget is about $2100 US. I can't do anything above.
I had my monitor (17" Cinema [New Displays today, Mr. Steve!]) calibrated about a year ago with a Spyder. I have all of the PS CS color settings in order (if you want to call it that).
I decided that the 7600 was out of the question ($$$) and the 2200 is too small ($). A Laser printer is not what I need. The 4000 looks perfect.

Only problem now: where the hell is the RIP software?
All I see is these:
RipMall
Aurelon
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 06:53 PM

Google 'iProof" will give everything to see.

Stephane
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2004, 09:54 AM

I just got a HP designjet 30 (6 colors) and a RIP Best Designer should come with it in a few days. Should be a good proofing solution but I am not sure of the price in $. Maybe you can check on HP site the DJ 30 with RIP Best Designer option ?
St�phane

Forum Links
Forum Rules