Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying 1.33 PB help needed

Buying 1.33 PB help needed
macpls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 01:51 PM

Apple reseller is clearing old stocks of 15" PB 1.33 Ghz. for approx USD1550,

Is this a good buy considering the 1.5 PB cost USD 2183 where i am.

Is the 1.33 PB relatively a trouble free PB? from white spots, logic board issue etc.

Usage is photoshop CS, garageband, Final cut( i understand only a G5 can do HD editing

any 1.33 15" user out there with any advice?

pls help...the PBs are running out soon..is this a good buy.

btw it ships with Tiger & ilife05

Thanks for advice

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 03:01 PM

Yeah! Thats an excellent deal. I'd say go for it. White spots were on the model before this one, and the Logic board problem, I'm not sure. I'm Pretty much only hearing about it on the 1.5/1.67 revisions, but im not 100% sure. It will be UNBEARABLY slow stock with the programs you want to use And I looked on Apples website and you dont need a G5 for HD video editing. But it does require 1GB RAM AT LEAST for HD. It reccomends 2GB of RAM, and so do I. (Since your processor is pretty close to the bare minimum) But i say go for it, just get 2 Gigs of ram.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Dai Bach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 01:57 AM

Absolutely! That sounds like a great deal.

I've had my 1.33 since January and have had no problems wot-so-ever. I've heard that the difference in performance between the 1.33 and 1.5 is negligible.

I found the disk space a bit limiting at first due to all my music, but I've since bought an external hard drive and now store all my music files on that - not a problem when on the move as I've always got my iPod with me. I've also got an external DVD burner as I don't have any need to burn DVDs when on the move.

I do recommend getting at least an extra 1G of memory - I've got a total of 1.5GB and my PB flies, especially since upgrading to Tiger. I'll often have Safari, Mail, Dreamweaver, Flash and Photoshop all running at the same time with no problems - something my old Dell couldn't do!

tcphoto
Jul 15, 2005, 07:57 AM

I paid $1499. for an open box return Combo drive in February at an Apple Store. You can find a better deal than the one you described. Mine came with a one year warrenty and I can purchase AppleCare within a year.

As far as performance, I am a photographer and edit my images on this machine. I'm sure a desktop would be faster, but it's all about compromise with laptops. I added a gig of memory and use less than 10% of the hard drive space to increase speed.

If it were me, I'd call my local Apple Store and ask if they had any open box returns or buy a reconditioned from the Apple website. The money that you saved could be used to buy more memory or add an Airport Extreme to your system.

macpls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 02:45 AM

Decided not to get as a better deal for a 1.5 Ghz PB 15" came about. The thing is after carecul calculation, the sweet deal was sweet but with apple care & more ram it stopped adding up

1.33 = $1550 (256MB, 60GB) no applecare + $85 (512MB) + $266 (applecare discounted) = $1901

1.55 = $2041 (512,80GB) + $59 (applecare special deal with new PB..diff promo from another store) = $2100

I figured an additional $200 buys 80GB & a slighly faster CPU so will probably just bit the bullet & go for the newer PB.

Sadly the PB is priced higher than in the US where i come from.

Reading this forum, apple"s own forum and other forums no way i will keep a PB without applecare.

Apple needs to improve on their hardware seriously maybe they should change their laptop suppliers given the number of hardware issues they have faced, with the titanium books, logic board, poor screens white spots etc.

My work requires me get an Apple but seriously no matter how much i love their software, i cannot say the same for the quality of their hardware , design form beautiful but reliabilty...hmmm

anyway will make my purchase by next week hopefully i am not stuck with a lousy set,

BTW can anyone advise on Final cut Pro DVD authoring, from the website they say it needs a G5.....from the website

anyone authors with Final cut without a G5.

Thanks

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

Final Cut Studio System Requirements
Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) or G5 processor; HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processor; authoring of HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 processor.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 01:19 PM

Seriously dude, if you ABSOLUTELY NEED a PowerBook for Video editing, then you'll have a computer that cant do everything that you want it to do. If you dont buy a PowerBook, you can get an iMac G5, which would be 1000x better for what you are trying to do. You can burn HD DVDS, you wont have to spend extra 100's of dollars for more RAM.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 01:33 PM

If a plane crashed on the border of the USA and mexico, where would you bury the survivors?

(I'm still pondering that one) :?

I hope you don't bury the survivors...
Get an iMac, man.

Spidey79
Jul 16, 2005, 02:24 PM

well it depends... I say you bury them in the ground... Unless u want to dump the bodies in the river... That is a whole different story, if you want that, I have a few friends who would do it for a pb. I sgould say buy an imac and get an ibook... Get a dual combo instead of a top of the line pb. =)

macpls  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are right ...need to get the iMac or PowerMac...steer away from the PB at least if i want to meals on my table ...sigh washoping that i could keep the office portable.

anyway looks like will get the iMac, cannot really afford a PowerMac and then have a display added..will look into the imac forum...have heard they are notorious for running hot & noisly at least the first batch..anyway again have to focus on the software...no PC comes close to Mac s/ware but as mentioned before the hardware sometimes cannot turn out to be a lucky draw

i do envy people who can afford to switch later or buy hardware later...pretty sure the portable macintels will be able to do pretty much everything the G5s can today...unfortunately need the machine asap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules