Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New (Early '08) MBP w/ fried RAM slot - Applecare or return?

New (Early '08) MBP w/ fried RAM slot - Applecare or return?
flabasha
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2008, 01:14 AM

Hey all. So I got a new 2.4 MBP (last gen) from Amazon for 1444 delivered, which was a great price... for the 12 hours it worked. I downloaded the system updates, then installed my new RAM, only to be greeted by three loud beeps repeating, and no boot up. After swapping new and old RAM sticks in different slots, I realized that somehow either in the process of installing the RAM, or the upgrade, that my lower RAM slot was fried. Lame.

So anyhow, what would you guys recommend, returning it to Amazon, or getting it replaced by Apple (as the Genius at the Apple Store suggested). I don't know which would be faster/less hassle, etc. Thoughts?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2008, 09:33 AM

If you have an Apple store near you, that's probably the quickest solution.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2008, 10:22 AM

If Amazon still has stock, I would call them to exchange it. Not that Apple customer service isn't great, but replacing an item seems faster than repairing one.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 03:26 PM

Replacement from Amazon.

flabasha  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the advice... actually I'm going with AppleCare, just because they tend to be pretty quick. But we'll see what happens.

Interestingly, doing research on the web, it turns out that the last gen of PowerPC Powerbooks had a slew of lower RAM slot failures, so much so that an online petition was organized, and Apple capitulated. Odd that such a specific failure appears to cross generations of laptops. I wonder if it's a heat issue, with the lower RAM port being subject to higher temps. Just conjecture...

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2008, 09:59 PM

I've got the same laptop and same great price from amazon.com and I've got RAM on the way, just not on hand to be installed yet. Please post back how the Applecare goes, and yes, it is very fast. Probably faster than dealing with Amazon. Trouble is that with Applecare, they're likely to send you a refurbished replacement laptop, since you're not guaranteed a brand new laptop.

Mine's not running hot at all, so I doubt it's a heat issue.

flabasha  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2008, 12:07 AM

Ooh... did not know that, that Apple may send me a refurb. I'll have to inspect it when it comes back, I suppose...

tcphoto
Nov 2, 2008, 12:15 AM

I had a PB G4 1.3 that had lower memory slot problems. Apple will try to fix the problem if the parts are available. If the problem persists, they will replace it with a similar machine from the current line up. I was told by Customer Relations that they cannot replace it with a refurbished product. I was lucky that the unibody MBP were released when they were and I received one of the first. It has no issues and I am very happy with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules