Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I think my Macbook Pro is lost in HK airport?

I think my Macbook Pro is lost in HK airport?
lipstick on chicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2008, 08:10 PM

I did some impulse shopping last week, and decided to buy a 15" Macbook on the AU apple store. I then got a invoice from apple stating it is shipping the next day, and est it'll take 2-4 biz days. I looked at the TNT tracking site, and it told me it was in Hong Kong. WTF? I thought Apple had retail stores in Australia , so why am i getting my MBP from China?

I refresh the page about everyday for 4days now, and get the same status page
Pudong International Airport Connection Delay. Recovery Actions Underway.

Is my MBP lost during delivery? it shouldn't take more then 4 days to leave the airport right?

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 08:22 PM

The computers are built in China, and many are shipped directly from there. It's possible it's in customs or something. Maybe call Apple if you have a question?

ImpulseResponse

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2008, 07:01 AM

No stock kept even in HK, if your ordering from the HK Apple store it ships from Singapore!

tcphoto
Nov 19, 2008, 01:01 PM

I would give Apple a call and see if they can give you additional details. If it's anything like UPS or USPS here in the US, they are very slow to post updated on a packages whereabouts. I find that FedEx is consistently better of the three. As GSixZero stated, the computers are built in China and local Apple Stores deal only with retail customers not online sales.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2008, 01:49 PM

When you order online, Macs are usually shipped from the factory to your home address. Apple have used factories in Taiwan, China and various other places, though most are now in China. Hong Kong is quite the transport hub so it is entirely possible it is on a boat there.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 2008, 01:58 AM

Well, it'd be on a plane. Apple doesn't ship computers by ship.

Anyhow, at least in USA, stock configurations are shipped from local distribution centers (in USA, there's one in CA and one in PA), but any custom configured laptop (or iMac or Mac mini) is sent directly from China or Taiwan. Only Mac Pros are ever custom configured outside the factory.

Either way, the retail stores are not in any way involved in online sales -- the stores are effectively customers of the online store, not representatives of it!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by lipstick on chicken View Post
I refresh the page about everyday for 4days now, and get the same status page
Pudong International Airport Connection Delay. Recovery Actions Underway.
I've seen that too.

Pudong is a large cargo airport next to Shanghai. There are many reasons for such a delay. If a plane breaks down while taxiing (that's what happened in my case - the 747F blew a set of tires right on the taxi way) it needs to be unloaded to reduce weight first, then towed back to the maintenance facility, and either fixed and reloaded or they need to wait for a replacement and need to reload that. In either case you're easily looking at a few days.

The wait sucks. But your notebook is fine. It's just sitting together with a lot of others on a palette in a well guarded place.

Forum Links
Forum Rules