Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Anyone pro-surge must be pro-draft

Anyone pro-surge must be pro-draft (Page 3)
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Yes but killing civillians indiscriminately isn't. I would put that in the backward/regressive/gross-out category. "Surely they won't go on once they see we're willing to resort to total warfare." The utter wiping out of cities existed before nuclear bombs did, but it still wasn't civil.
This has been hashed over a ga-zillion times.
The more civil thing to do was put an end to the war quickly, rather than have to invade the Japanese home islands and slog it out for years and ultimately end up with a death toll many, many, many times higher.

The only people wringing thier hands over the use of nukes to end the war quickly, are people in our age with the benefit of hindsight, who would never have had to die fighting a protracted conventional war that was the alternative.

It brought about a much quicker return to civility, when after the Japanese surrendered, we were able to get on with the task of helping them rebuild their country. Today, Japan is far better off for it, and far better off for not having had untold numbers more of their people killed needlessly.

Ultimately, it just comes down to people don't like the image of nuclear devices, as evidenced by the fact that they'll ignore tens of thousands, even millions of people dying by conventional means, but wring thier hands over the use of two bombs that actually killed fewer people that conventional firebombing at the time, but those two bombs ENDED a war. I'm a realist. I don't really care about image, so much as result.

The irony of places like North Korea, and the whole of Vietnam, is that they DIDN'T have the good fortune of having thier asses kicked into the modern world.

Virtually the worst form of incivility there is, is the existance of places like North Korea, suffering in a timewarp with a brutal, backward communist regime. Talk about regressive.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Apparently not. Or we'd be done and dusted there by now.
As I started out saying, that's fighting without having our hands tied behind our backs. We haven't done that.

It's blatantly obvious that you simply don't understand the arab/persian mindset or how different cultures react to threats - you perceive everywhere to be America. A typical failing.
It's blatantly obvious to me that you're obsessed with a stereotype of a cartoon-character arab/persian who comes at you like a video-game villian.

How many times have you traveled to the Middle East? I've been there several times; Israel, Eqypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Turkey, the UAE. I know a good many people of Middle Eastern origin from just about every region of the ME and South Asia. They're as varied as human beings are everywhere, but then, that's in the REAL world, not in your cartoonland.

Where have you been? How many of these "arab/persian" bogeymen have you actually met, talked to, befriended, TRULY know anything about other than your cartoon images? Please enlighten me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules