Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adding ram to G5, latencies?

Adding ram to G5, latencies?
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2010, 07:57 PM

Hey guys, giving my DP 2.0 G5 to a friend at work who is going to use it for photoshop. It's got 2 gigs of DDR right now, but I have a bunch of 256mb sticks laying around, different brands. If I pair the memory up and add it in matching configurations, will I have to worry about latancies between a Crucial stick and an Infenon stick?

Just don't want to spend a lot of money on ram,

Jesse
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2010, 08:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that model required matched pairs.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2010, 09:36 PM

I have stuffed these with random 256MB sticks before now without issues. As long as they are all DDR 400MHz you should be ok.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2010, 01:17 AM

If the pairs are made of different density chips it won't work. They should be in matched pairs per slot pair, but other than that you do not have to concern yourself with matching to the latencies of the other unrelated modules.

My beloved G5 just busted a processor that's not worth replacing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2010, 07:00 AM

Which model do you have? Some of them will run on one CPU.

Also make sure to try and reseat them, I've seen them come back from the dead just by tightening the screws holding the module down.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If the pairs are made of different density chips it won't work. They should be in matched pairs per slot pair, but other than that you do not have to concern yourself with matching to the latencies of the other unrelated modules.

My beloved G5 just busted a processor that's not worth replacing.
By "different density chips" you're referring to the old "same number of chips on the stick or it won't work" rule, right? I've always thought that was an excellent rule of thumb for paired banks in any case, but that also goes beyond the documentation provided by Apple. Apple specifies matched pairs, stating "Matched" in this context means that the two DIMMs have the same capacity and speed. A valid pair would be two 512 MB PC2700 DIMMs, for example." The linked article is decidedly unclear on the issue of "banks," though. The DP has two sets of two banks each, so it is even less clear how "matched" Apple wants the user to go. It's good to hear that experience shows you don't have to go very far in matching DIMMs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2010, 04:05 PM

Hey guys, it's an M9455LL/A, I know it requires ordered pairs, I just meant that if I added different brands of sticks of the same amount, would I have any problems. Waragainstsleep reassured me okay.

Thanks for the help I am gonna try to get this thing up to 4 gigs!

Jess
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Which model do you have? Some of them will run on one CPU.

Also make sure to try and reseat them, I've seen them come back from the dead just by tightening the screws holding the module down.
Yeah, the tech told me Rev. As run on one processor but not Rev Bs, so if it's dead I'm out of luck.

I'll keep in mind your advice about tightening the CPU down. I'm kind of heartbroken about it even though it hasn't been my main computer for months. I knew that G4s often experienced dead second processors, but I didn't think it would happen to my G5.

As for the matched pair thing, you really want to stick to matching the modules in the respective banks. Different chip densities that add up to the same amount per module may not work, but you can certainly try it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules