Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > XBox, P2, Game Cube: Which should I buy?

XBox, P2, Game Cube: Which should I buy?
jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2004, 11:39 AM

OK I might buy either an Xbox, P2, or Game Cube for my son. I know nothing about any of these. Is there one that is better than the others? Which has the most games? Which has the best games? I know this may be tough to answer but I would really like to know your opinions. I know absolutely nothing about these systems. Thanks

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 26, 2004, 11:41 AM

How old is he and what are his other interests?

EDIT: I don't mean to sound like a pedophile. I ask because the consoles are somewhat geared to certain age sets and interests.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 11:45 AM

Unless something's changed since last I checked, here are some hard facts:

The PS2 has the most games. The Xbox has the best graphics. The GameCube is the cheapest.

Other than that, we need more info. Some trends:

PS2 - Sports, RPGs
Xbox - FPS
GameCube - Nintendo (Mario, Zelda, Metroid)

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

jlemons  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2004, 11:50 AM

Sorry, about not giving enough info. He will be 7 and he loves sports. i suspect that is the kind of game he would like.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 12:25 PM

XBOX - it has superior graphics power and has developed a good line up of games.

PS2 is allright. It has loads of games, but the graphics are not as good as the XBOX.

Gamecube its ok, it has a funky controller.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 12:29 PM

For kids a GameCube would be best.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 12:34 PM

If you want to play the official Formula 1 game you need a PS2. Most other racing games are available for that platform as well. That makes it the best platform for car racing.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 01:40 PM

If your kid likes sports than don't get a gamecube. If he likes racing or action adventure get a PS2.

If he likes to play cartoonish games with friends the Cube is the best way.

The Xbox is more of a mature system.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Uriel
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2004, 02:12 PM

Gamecube- Great appeal towards the younger crowd. Has a good amount of fun games. In my opinion doesn't seem to have many original games. Mario, another Mario, one more Mario. Zelda, another Zelda etc. But, being his age he might like that.

You also wont get Dolby 5.1 support (that may or may not matter) and Xbox also does support higher HD resolutions.

Plus
- Fun kid focused games
- Some good laid back multiplayer games (Mario Kart etc.)
- Some good console specific games (Mario, Starfox, Zelda)
-Small easilly portable

Negatives
-No online play
- Multiplayer limited to 4 players
- Tends to rehash games too much
- Audio is only prologic

PS2- Great console has a lot of good RPGs. Some good sports games.

PS2 has a very single-player slant IMO. Although some games out there support multiplayer, it's kind of iffy. This is partially shown by only including two controller ports IMO. But, it is very good at what it is made for. The PS2 has some of the best platformers, RPGs out there. It has a strong library.

Plus
-Strong library
-Works as a DVD player also
-Great single player games

Negs
-Mutliplayer, although present, is not very well used
- Probably the weakest out of the 3 in graphics

Xbox

I think the xbox has some great strengths. Although a lot of people shun it, it merits some thought. One of the main strengths of the xbox is multiplayer. Most games support up to 16 player games. This can be done by networking xboxes together, or by using Xbox live (microsofts multiplayer service, $50 dollars a year).

The xbox has some great graphics. With dolby 5.1 and HD support, if you have the means to use those, that's a major plus. I personally love the Xbox controller, but many people don't.

The xbox can also play DVD's but you have to buy a DVD kit.

Plus
-Great graphics and Audio
-Good choice of games
-Plays DVD's
-Amazing multiplayer options

Negs
-Xbox will nickel and dime you for some of the extra features ($30 for DVD player, $20 for the HD hookups, $50 for Xbox Live)
-Big brick of a console
-It's Microsoft ;-)

I personally would go for the Xbox but that's because I enjoy multiplayer. I don't want to sway your choice too much. Each console has it's good and bad sides. Hopefully the information I gave you will help a bit.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 03:00 PM

ask your kid not us.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by jlemons:
Sorry, about not giving enough info. He will be 7 and he loves sports. i suspect that is the kind of game he would like.
The Xbox is currently being offered with a holiday bundle. The bundle is two free games: a tennis game, and an NCAA football game.. that and 2 free months of Xbox Live online play. Price $149.00
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:
The Xbox is currently being offered with a holiday bundle. The bundle is two free games: a tennis game, and an NCAA football game.. that and 2 free months of Xbox Live online play. Price $149.00
AFAIC, the tennis game (Top Spin) is the system's best game, so that's a pretty good deal.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2004, 04:15 PM

I have Madden NFL (2004 and 2005), NBA Live (2004 and 2005), Tiger Woods Golf, Friday night boxing and Nascar racing on the XBox and all of them are very solid games, much better than a PS2. Halo and Halo2 are hot, though he might be young for that. The XBox live is a nice feature as well.

Personally, though, I'd get him books to read instead.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Randman:

Personally, though, I'd get him books to read instead.
Word!

(or actually, lots of words, as the case may be.)

Edit: Get him the Chronicles or Narnia, the Harry Potter series, and the Sword of Shannara. Years from now he'll be grateful, and they'll mean much more to him than some stupid console game.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 26, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
ask your kid not us.
Nothing like ruining the surprise eh?

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Nothing like ruining the surprise eh?

tell him to write a christmas list. if he does put down a console, tell him that you don't know if you can afford it. buy it anyway.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
For kids a GameCube would be best.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 06:16 PM

ask your kid not us.
agreed

The sports games are on all consoles so it doesn't matter so much, the gamecube has the best value. the playstation has the most games. and the xbox is notorious for haveing a lot of mature and adults only games.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
agreed

The sports games are on all consoles so it doesn't matter so much, the gamecube has the best value.
I think you mean cheapest. Value you mean you get the most for your money but if the kid doesn't want any Nintendo games the value is shot.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

storer
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 06:24 PM

tell him to write a christmas list. if he does put down a console, tell him that you don't know if you can afford it. buy it anyway.
Secondeded.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 01:03 AM

Gamecube.
Best quality games, geared for kids, teens and adults. Memorable titles that involve creative gameplay and timeless characters. What makes Nintendo stand out from Sony or Microsoft is that it does not follow the 3G formula (grit/guns/girls).

As far as sports..... i dont mean to tell you how to raise your kid, but in my opinion, sports are best experiences outdoors...i'd encourage that. Consoles are fun, but real-life sports are infinetely better.....fresh air, sun, exercise, competition and actual human interaction . Dont let a video game console take that away. (whichever one you end up getting).

Also, id try and find out which one he prefers, or which one his friends have, cause that is rather important when your a kid.trading games, playing against his friends,etc.... u know ?

But yeah i recommend the GameCube, it's the only one i own, and i came to that decision because:
-Cheapest
-Best quality games (not as many as PS2, but how many do u plan buying ? )
-Great controller (for any age group)
-It's actually fun, since Nintendo pays more attention to gameplay/interfaces/character design than Sony or MS which pay more attention to grit, guns and girls.

Cheers

Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Gamecube.
Best quality games, geared for kids, teens and adults.
Ok so what you are saying that that the ONLY quality games for every age group is from Nintendo. Everything that is not on nintendo is sub par or not up to the quality of Nintendo games.

Ya take the fabboys words

What are these "Quality" games exactly? Super mario sunshine? Luigi's Mansion?

Oh wait, Zelda and Metroid, nothing is better that those right?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I think you mean cheapest. Value you mean you get the most for your money but if the kid doesn't want any Nintendo games the value is shot.
still the best value.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2004, 03:34 AM

Personally, I hate the Gamecube controller. I think it's clunky, ugly and just plain bad. I have nothing against the Gamecube but the controller is bad. I probably would go against the grain and say I prefer the xbox "S controller" style. I think it has a good balance and weight to it. The PS2 one isn't half bad either, although I think the analog sticks are a little strange to use and the buttons feel a bit mashy.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 03:54 AM

you can get third party controllers so it isn't a dealbreaker plus some people like it. Not to mention it is defenitly better than the play station controller.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 04:09 AM

Ok so what you are saying that that the ONLY quality games for every age group is from Nintendo. Everything that is not on nintendo is sub par or not up to the quality of Nintendo games.

Ya take the fabboys words

What are these "Quality" games exactly? Super mario sunshine? Luigi's Mansion?

Oh wait, Zelda and Metroid, nothing is better that those right?
exactly. i agree.
Cheers

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2004, 09:33 AM

Hey, I have a question on these things. Should I buy a new playstation ? I used to have a PS2 and an original Playstation but I sold it because I didn't play it too much anymore. But now with GT4 coming, I have this feeling that I want to buy one again just to play GT4. I'm not a big gamer tough and I'm afraid that it would be a bit a waste of money. I don't know really What are other games that could make the PS2 worth it ? I'm not interested in the Nintendo (no good games), I would buy an XBox but it lacks GT4. What would you do ?

PS: anyone know how many months/years away the PS3 is ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 11:40 AM

GT4 Was pushed back to feb. PS3 Comes out in late 2006... and their are many other good games for ps2... Though you can get madden with online play on xbox it's a better controller set up on ps2, there is socom, and many others... btw i traded in my ps2 and 5 games for the new smaller ps two and it is freaking crazy... i'm actually annoyed with how small it is

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Komisar:
PS3 Comes out in late 2006...
Late 2006? Are you serious?

I can't wait that long.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 27, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
PS3 Comes out in late 2006...
Link?

I was under the impression that the big three would all be showing off their new hardware at the next E3 2005 expo. Are you telling me that it will take a year and a half of more waiting after the new consoles are announced! Is November/December 2005 a remote possibility; that would be 7-8 months after E3 2005.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2004, 12:12 PM

you can get third party controllers so it isn't a dealbreaker plus some people like it. Not to mention it is defenitly better than the play station controller.
Actually, I think the GC and PS2 controllers are neck-and-neck for best controller (with PS2 getting the slight edge). I don't like the Xbox S controller, but I can see how it would be the best if you like FPS and/or have huge hands.

Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2004, 01:50 PM

exactly. i agree.
Cheers

Good to know you have such a wide range of experiences with games in order to come up with that conclusion

Fanboy to the max!

Cheers!

hayesk
Nov 27, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Uriel:
Personally, I hate the Gamecube controller. I think it's clunky, ugly and just plain bad. I have nothing against the Gamecube but the controller is bad. I probably would go against the grain and say I prefer the xbox "S controller" style. I think it has a good balance and weight to it. The PS2 one isn't half bad either, although I think the analog sticks are a little strange to use and the buttons feel a bit mashy.
So it's settled then. You have freakish mutant hands.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 27, 2004, 06:14 PM

Nintendo's controller button layout makes sense for their games. A lot of third party developed games, just simply play better on X-Box and PS2 due to their controller's simplistic button layout. There is a balance that Nintendo needs to hit, so far they haven't quite done that (N64, GameCube). I like their GameCube controller, but even I realize that it's not ideal for all types of games.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2004, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Get him the Chronicles or Narnia, the Harry Potter series, and the Sword of Shannara. Years from now he'll be grateful, and they'll mean much more to him than some stupid console game.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Link?

I was under the impression that the big three would all be showing off their new hardware at the next E3 2005 expo. Are you telling me that it will take a year and a half of more waiting after the new consoles are announced! Is November/December 2005 a remote possibility; that would be 7-8 months after E3 2005.

Noah
Woops i meant like early 2006 but i am almost positive that it is 2006 they might unveil previews at 2005's e3 but I forgot where i read it but it won't be out till 2006

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 06:25 AM

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245878.asp
Gamecube with Mario kart, no memory card though.
The cube has some sports games on there too.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2004, 06:26 AM

Good to know you have such a wide range of experiences with games in order to come up with that conclusion

Fanboy to the max!

Cheers!
Oh yeah i forgot to mention... unlike star-wars boy here, i actually have a life outside my basement. And my tan is thanks to the west Australian sun, as opposed to the radiation from a monitor or a television. lol.

Im glad i dont have such a wide range of gaming experience...the best experience(Nintendo) ....will suffice

Cheers.

P.S>Starwars boy, i think the person who started this thread, already knows your pick, so your not contributing anything by dissing other ppl's opinions and advice.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 28, 2004 at 06:39 AM. )

neophilia
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2004, 02:49 PM

For a 7 year old, it's a Gamecube hands down. There simply isn't any contest in my opinion. Why?

- Super portability. The thing is amazingly light and even has a handle.
- The thing can take a beating. The controller plugs are even designed to be yanked out easily in case someone trips on the wires. And I've heard the disc readers in the PS2 and Xbox tend to flake out (though admittedly this hasn't happened with my 1.5 year old PS2)
- 4 controller ports built right in. No other console is as 'party game' oriented as the Gamecube.
- Wonderful, memorable, innovative games that take the Pixar approach -- approachable enough for a young kid, but deep enough for an older kid. A short list:

Zelda: Wind Waker
Metroid Prime & Echoes
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Party 4 and 5
Viewtiful Joe
Wario Ware
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Zelda: Four Swords
Animal Crossing
Pikmin 1 & 2
Donkey Konga
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Nintendo also has some super deals going on at the moment. I think $99 gets you a Cube + Mario Kart. And yes, I realize half those games are Nintendo franchises, but so what? I play games for enjoyment and those are by far the most enjoyable I've played across my Mac, PC, PS2 and Gamecube (and I'm in my twenties, btw).
-n

Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 02:54 PM

P.S>Starwars boy, i think the person who started this thread, already knows your pick, so your not contributing anything by dissing other ppl's opinions and advice.
Really, I recommended GameCube for the kiddies, so you should be happy.

I would never make such a outlandish fanboy claim as to saying "PS2 or Xbox has the best quality games and all other games on any other system suck".

A claim like that shows what type of life exciting you have

djohnson
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 06:26 PM

Another vote for Gamecube. I tried playing Halo on xbox... Trying to move L/R with the left thumb and U/D with the right while trying to shoot made no sense to me. If other games are as bad, I dont think a kid would have much fun. Of course a kid should not be playing a first person shooter.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 01:09 AM

Gamecube. Grab Super Monkey Ball 2, Zelda: The Wind Waker and Mario Party 5. Get Tiger Woods 2004 for yourself (of course that's on any console, but I have the gamecube one myself). Easily some of the most fun I've ever had with a console.

Of course the most fun I've ever had with a console: GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS. I bought a PS2 two just for that game after having left my old PS2 back in Norway.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by Uriel:
Negatives
-No online play
- Multiplayer limited to 4 players
Actually both of those are wrong. Some games do feature online play, and GameCubes can be networked like the XBox for more the 4 players. Games like MarioKart and others support this. You just need to buy the ethernet adaptor for the GameCube.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Of course the most fun I've ever had with a console: GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS.
Perfect for a 7-year-old.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
Actually both of those are wrong. Some games do feature online play, and GameCubes can be networked like the XBox for more the 4 players. Games like MarioKart and others support this. You just need to buy the ethernet adaptor for the GameCube.
Number of games that support it?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 08:19 AM

The younger the better

Edit: BTW this shouldn't even be an ongoing debate. We all know that ps2 and xbox are geared towards teenagers and adults, where as the gamecube is specifically geared towards younger children and teenagers (though it has some great games for adults). Once you figure out th console then you need to find "learning enhancing games" which the gamecube has many of. Such as:

Windwaker
Zelda: Orcarina Of Time (remade for gc)
Harvest Moon
And many others

So instead of everyone talking from each of their own fanboy perspectives. Why not think from the person he is getting this for.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 10:15 AM

by the time macnn agree's on a console we can assume this kid will be over the age of 18.

Originally Posted by Komisar:
Zelda: Orcarina Of Time (remade for gc)
Its officially called the legend of zelda master quest, but i'm pretty sure it was only available as a bundle offer with a gamecube a couple of years ago.

hayesk
Nov 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

Its officially called the legend of zelda master quest, but i'm pretty sure it was only available as a bundle offer with a gamecube a couple of years ago.
It was one year ago. My wife bought me a GameCube last Christmas but couldn't find the one with the Zelda Master Quest disc. So she felt bad and bought me Wind Waker and Metroid Prime as well.

It turns out that you could also get the Master Quest by buying two of three games and entering the PIN on line and they would mail you the disc. Gave me a perfect excuse to go out and buy 1080 Avalanche and Mario KartD. I got my Zelda disc in the mail a couple of weeks later.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 04:20 PM

Number of games that support it?
It's a more recent feature so not many do.

Some games are being rigged for online play by the Warp Pipe project. Rumor has it that the Warp Pipe team is working with Nintendo to bring online play to the DS.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2004, 10:53 PM

Buy your kid a Nintendo DS, and get yourself an Xbox.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules