Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Problem

PowerBook Problem
g4baker
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2003, 01:17 AM

I just got a used PowerBook G4. I'll be typing, then all of a sudden the screen will start to get lines and fade out (you never really know, just kind of does it randomly), and tye dye like colors will appear...then the screen will turn white, then purple...just various colors go across the screen. What is wrong?!?! AHH!

There has to be a way to fix it.

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2003, 01:52 AM

It's not permanent, but it does it whenever I'm using it...at different intervals too...help!

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 25, 2003, 02:22 AM

If you bought it used, did you wipe the drive and do a fresh install?

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2003, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by g4baker:
I just got a used PowerBook G4. I'll be typing, then all of a sudden the screen will start to get lines and fade out (you never really know, just kind of does it randomly), and tye dye like colors will appear...then the screen will turn white, then purple...just various colors go across the screen. What is wrong?!?! AHH!

There has to be a way to fix it.
Sounds like the display connector is loose. This used to happen on some models of Powerbook G3. Have it serviced.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 12:39 PM

I concur. Either the connector is loose or the cable is starting to crack.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

g4baker  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2003, 01:08 PM

Thanks so much for the help! My problem is it's still under warranty (30 days), but I REALLY don't want to pay to send it back, wait two weeks, etc. If it's cheap to replace the display connector or even service it, I would rather go that way. What kind of costs are we looking at?

Another person also said it might be a heat problem since it happens about 25 mins after I turn it on (after I've had it off for a while).

Thanks again!

Moose
Senior User
Jul 25, 2003, 01:40 PM

What kind of costs are we looking at?
Hundreds of dollars, potentially.

Send it back. Now.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 02:58 PM

Second that!

Notebook repairs are always expensive, send it in. You�re lucky that you�re still under warranty...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2003, 03:18 PM

Thanks so much for the help! My problem is it's still under warranty (30 days), but I REALLY don't want to pay to send it back, wait two weeks, etc. If it's cheap to replace the display connector or even service it, I would rather go that way. What kind of costs are we looking at?

Another person also said it might be a heat problem since it happens about 25 mins after I turn it on (after I've had it off for a while).

Thanks again!
You're looking at several hundred dollars most likely. ANY laptop repair is going to be expensive. Just to get the little magnetic sensor and latch replaced in my old ibook that detects when the screen is closed was going to run me $380 according to the Genius at my local apple store.

Thus, is when I learned the value of AppleCare (it was outside it's original 1 year warranty by 3 weeks, no AppleCare).

So I agree with the others, two weeks of waiting may suck... but you should get it fixed NOW when you can (under warranty) rather than find out you have a bad lcd (about $1500 to replace) later and have to pay for it out of pocket.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 04:23 PM

Please post back what you find out. I recently had this happen on my wife's Ti/400, which is way out of warranty, and I'm trying to decide what my options are.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Stinkysteve
Jul 27, 2003, 05:24 PM

Since you are still under warranty, I would quickly look into getting Apple Care for it. This comes in handy on the portables. They just replaced my HD for free. I didn't even know it was still covered. The tech at Techknowsphere in NYC asked for the serial number of my machine to see what HD's were available. When we talked next he said it was still covered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules