Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > most valuable collectable you own? how much?

most valuable collectable you own? how much?
ankle_brains
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 10:23 PM

many here collect things or have valuable art work, but what is the most valuable artifact/collectable/picture you own? how much? what did you pay for it?

i have a $500 matchbox car that I paid $35 for at a garage sale a few years ago.

what about you?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 10:40 PM

Nikon 20mm AI-S Nikkor - Paid $40, Valued at $500+

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

quandarry
Jan 20, 2004, 11:02 PM

first commercially made condom.

i don't know the value but i think it would be worth more if it wasn't used.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
i don't know the value but i think it would be worth more if it wasn't used.
Why? "Game-Used" goods are always worth more...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 11:47 PM

I have my b/w g3 computer...I paid $3,000 for it...mint, classic, history man!

gonna pass it down to my kids...i can see their faces now...

otherwise, i have a signed paul rand poster

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2004, 12:12 AM

My ex has a signed Jules Olitski poster/print.

I have a signed print of this. The artist's actual signature is in the lower left corner
and is in addition to the signature on the print; My aunt was friend's with the guy (Ted DeGrazia).

I am not really a collector but I have a friend who collects everything from original G.I. Joe and Barbie dolls to B&O stereo equipment.
He's probably got six-figures worth of dolls and toys in his attic alone. And they're all boxed, I can't play with any of them.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

OreoCookie
Jan 21, 2004, 12:46 AM

My grandfather's Omega Constellation Megaquartz. One of the very first according to the serial number. Worth quite a bit.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Ken Masters
Banned
Jan 21, 2004, 01:32 AM

My most valuable collectable is my dead grandmothers love.

You see i was her favorite grandson, and before she died she gave me her gold bracelet.

It was 24k gold. It was really nice, so the next day i sold it and got (AU)$2400 for it.

Giving love cost be nothing, but it gained me GOLD.

GOLD DAM YOU...

GOLD.

D. Hendrickson
Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Jan 21, 2004, 03:13 AM

2 Civil War rifles worth a couple grand each.

grandfather found them cleaning out some ladies garage...

vexborg
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 06:30 AM

A 12" vinyl single by David Bowie - Tao Jones Index.

According to Teenage Wildlife there's only made around 2000 copies.

http://www.teenagewildlife.com/Singl...997/Title.html

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2004, 07:30 AM

Probably the danish Donald Duck issues from '54-57. Perfect condition.

But I have no idea how much they are worth.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 07:56 AM

I have a spiderman #1 issue somewhere in my addict. Don't know how much its worth.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by disectamac:
I have a spiderman #1 issue somewhere in my addict. Don't know how much its worth.

your addict!?!?

-r.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 09:39 AM

I have Amelia Earhart's charm bracelet.

It's sterling silver and really quite beautiful and has very interesting charms on it, including one that is inscribed from her father and is dated 1913 for her birthday.

The value? I've been told it's worth about $30K at auction at Sotheby's, but that was a long time ago. (We know Al Taubman and his wife from way back when he was in Detroit and when they're in Palm Beach we get invited to their parties...Al owns Sotheby's...and he's wanted to buy the bracelet for a while.)

I also collect rare and first edition books and have a climate-controlled library.

We're currently refinishing one of the very first Singer sewing machines from the mid-1800s, also. I suppose it's worth quite a bit of money.

But, collecting for me is not about the value or worth of something...it's about owning a piece of something that gives a great deal of pleasure aesthetically or a piece of the past.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 09:42 AM

The only explanations for this spelling?

1. Freudian slip

2. Reads too many comic books and learned to spell like a comic book character

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2004, 09:55 AM

$1,300 Henderson 1977 Modesto A's Chong...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2004, 10:46 AM

The most valuable "collectible" I've bought is probably the Hammond B-3 (see sig). 1968 model, and in great shape.

I've inherited a couple of antique Japanese tansu (chests of drawers), probably from the 17th or 18th century. I'm not sure there is a realistic way to estimate the value of those.

-s*

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:

your addict!?!?

-r.
well, I replaced a word with one that sounds similar unitentionaly. At least I spelled addict correctly. That picture kind of looks like me. Without the tears of course

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 04:29 PM

my grandfather's 196-something presidential rolex. It has been my safety deposit box for about 4 years now.

If it wasn't the only thing I had of his, I could sell it and get a very nice dual g5 with two 23" HD Displays. Well at least that is what the appraiser said.

jonn804
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 08:06 PM

75,000 (and growing) pic's in my 'naked people' folder. Most free, but priceless in my opinion.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2004, 08:19 PM

I have nothing of any value.

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 08:25 PM

probably my guitars.........

all told they're worth approx $10,000 or a bit more.........

the coolest art thing we have is a bentwood box made by a young First Nations artist Phillip Gray who created an original from two of his other pieces for our wedding. We got it free (My wife's boss paid $1000) and it's probably worth between $2500-$3000....

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by disectamac:
A f*cking lot, that's how much. Let me put it this way-- if it's mint or V.G. it'd be better off in a safe-deposit box. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the condition.

Me, I've got this pocket lint. There are bits of lint in there that date back to the Renaissance.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
A f*cking lot, that's how much. Let me put it this way-- if it's mint or V.G. it'd be better off in a safe-deposit box. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the condition.

Me, I've got this pocket lint. There are bits of lint in there that date back to the Renaissance.

CV
You have pocket lint? Dang. Wish I had me some pocket lint.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 01:29 PM

Just a big bunch of out-of-production music gear. Prolly about $40,000 in purely financial terms. Worth more than your life if you try to steal any of it.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 01:37 PM

I used to have an old Tom Swift book. It's pop sci-fi from the 40's or 50's. It was probably worth a couple hundred, maybe less since it isn't in very good condition, but I lost it at some point.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
I have Amelia Earhart's charm bracelet.

It's sterling silver and really quite beautiful and has very interesting charms on it, including one that is inscribed from her father and is dated 1913 for her birthday.

The value? I've been told it's worth about $30K at auction at Sotheby's, but that was a long time ago. (We know Al Taubman and his wife from way back when he was in Detroit and when they're in Palm Beach we get invited to their parties...Al owns Sotheby's...and he's wanted to buy the bracelet for a while.)

I also collect rare and first edition books and have a climate-controlled library.

We're currently refinishing one of the very first Singer sewing machines from the mid-1800s, also. I suppose it's worth quite a bit of money.

But, collecting for me is not about the value or worth of something...it's about owning a piece of something that gives a great deal of pleasure aesthetically or a piece of the past.
What do you mean its not about the money?? Sheesh, gimme something expensive and then you'll get that warm fuzzy feeling and I'll get rich

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
I used to have an old Tom Swift book. It's pop sci-fi from the 40's or 50's. It was probably worth a couple hundred, maybe less since it isn't in very good condition, but I lost it at some point.
I've got a bunch of the Tom Swift jr books I think...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2004, 10:19 PM

I HAD a never-used Newton 2100, all in the box and everything, but damn university made me whore myself out and sell it.

Other than that, I've got some kinda china tea-cup-and-plate thingie that my great-grandmother left me when she died. I was probably only 4 or 5. It's a beautiful dark blue colour, with gold trim and gold lobsters on the cup. It's over 110 years old, or maybe more now, but for all I know it's worthless. In any case, it looks gorgeous.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 11:01 PM

Hm. I probably have some decent comics in my boxes. I hear that people've been known to pay a fair amount for Albedo v1n2, though I got it at cover price. And I have both issues of Air Pirates.

Then there's my NeXT Cube that seems to be impossible to get rid of.

And that's probably about it... I don't really have any 'collectables' per se.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Other than that, I've got some kinda china tea-cup-and-plate thingie that my great-grandmother left me when she died. I was probably only 4 or 5. It's a beautiful dark blue colour, with gold trim and gold lobsters on the cup. It's over 110 years old, or maybe more now, but for all I know it's worthless. In any case, it looks gorgeous.
What does it say on the bottom of it? Might be worth a fair packet.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 08:16 PM

5000 basketball cards from the late 80's and early 90's. They'll be worth something if enough people throw theirs away.

Matt Fahrenbacher

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2004, 09:10 PM

Very first Atari worth - probably not a thing, sentimental value is like $100,000,001

Forum Links
Forum Rules