Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > college logo ipods? ipodminis? good idea?

college logo ipods? ipodminis? good idea?
ankle_brains
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 09:52 AM

as if apple is having a hard time selling both regular and ipodminis. but, do you think it would be wise for apple to get college rights to offer your favorite schools logo on the back of an ipod, or even school colored ipodminis that can be custom ordered? basically, instead of engraving your name like you can now, they could engrave a teams logo.

i think it would be huge on all college campuses and apple could charge a few bucks more for the custom stuff/colors.

thoughts?

Cipher13
Apr 28, 2004, 10:19 AM

Other "standard" motif's (like "Flames" or "Lightning") would be far more popular than one's school colours/logo...

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 10:22 AM

If they started being able to engrave some logo's ect, I would be in for sure.
Although, I have called around and found a few places who would be able to engrave whatever I wanted into the back of mine and it would be guarenteed (sp?) but I dont know what the price would be

I think this would be a good idea though.
Who reads this???

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 10:22 AM

i think the most feasible thing would be for apple to engrave more than text. i saw an ipod the other day on ebay with a pepsi logo on the back.

why not do that? allow like 100x100px or something? or is it a trademark thing?

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by ankle_brains:
as if apple is having a hard time selling both regular and ipodminis. but, do you think it would be wise for apple to get college rights to offer your favorite schools logo on the back of an ipod, or even school colored ipodminis that can be custom ordered? basically, instead of engraving your name like you can now, they could engrave a teams logo.

i think it would be huge on all college campuses and apple could charge a few bucks more for the custom stuff/colors.

thoughts?
i think so. If i'd been able to get my school logo on my iPod, i would have.

also, as if this is an ankle_brains post - there's a touch of personality and opinion.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
i think the most feasible thing would be for apple to engrave more than text. i saw an ipod the other day on ebay with a pepsi logo on the back.

why not do that? allow like 100x100px or something? or is it a trademark thing?
it's a trademark thing

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 10:46 AM

It sounds like a good idea for an aftermarket company, not Apple.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2004, 10:49 AM

I'd be all over this for sure.

In fact, this sort of idea will save Apple from going out of business...

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 28, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I'd be all over this for sure.

In fact, this sort of idea will save Apple from going out of business...
No, nothing can save Apple.

BOT: I think simple personalization is enough. What they have is sufficient. It's not like someone would choose and iPod over a Nomad because you can get the iPod engraved with pictures.

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
I think simple personalization is enough. What they have is sufficient. It's not like someone would choose and iPod over a Nomad because you can get the iPod engraved with pictures.
OTOH imagine the corporate possibilities - big companies often give away expensive stuff to clients/staff at Xmas, what better than an iPod with company logo on it? Classy.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by willed:
OTOH imagine the corporate possibilities - big companies often give away expensive stuff to clients/staff at Xmas, what better than an iPod with company logo on it? Classy.
Good call.

Corporate iPods are indeed VERY popular...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 11:20 AM

I think HP branded iPods are a good idea (although the colors they have gone with are just plain ugly... the thing looks more like taffy).

I think college logo iPods are even cooler. imagine college kids buying iPods through their school...get iPods with their school logo engraved on the back...that would be a memoir...with all the music you heard when at college, remembering the awesome times/hearaches/experiences you had. I think they could push brand loyalty for Apple to new heights if they do this.

But i recommend that if they do try this...they make it optional at no charge.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
But i recommend that if they do try this...they make it optional at no charge.
I would assume this is impossible as Apple would have to pay royally for all the different college trademarks from the NCAA...

Beewee
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by ankle_brains:

thoughts?
I think any logo or small picture would be a great idea.
But I wonder if it's price that would affect people more.
Drop $50 from both ipods and $100 from all computers.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I would assume this is impossible as Apple would have to pay royally for all the different college trademarks from the NCAA...
anyone in college gets an edu discount, just charge retail (non edu) price for the licensed products....

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 28, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by willed:
You say classy. I say cheezey.

It would cheapen the product.

Forum Links
Forum Rules