Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac squeaky noise. Is it the power supply?

Powermac squeaky noise. Is it the power supply?
unimaxium
Sep 26, 2004, 08:02 PM

I have a 1.6ghz G5, and ever since about a month after I got it, the machine makes a squeaking noise on and off. It will keep going "squeak, squeak, squeak" (about 2 squeaks a second) for several minutes, and then eventually stop. What I'm wondering is if this is being caused by that bad power supply that other people were having noise problems with a while ago. I would figure it's a squeaky fan in the back (which is where it sounds like it comes from) that acts up when it starts spinning fast/slow depending on the thermometer temp, but the descriptions people have given of the power supply noise sort of match what I'm hearing. Also, when the noise starts I have tried going into the "Processor" preference pane (comes in the CHUD tools from Apple, which are a separate download) and turn the "Nap" checkbox off (as was recommended on a MacOSXHints.com article IIRC) the noise seems to go away. So I'm not sure if this is being caused by a fan, or a power supply, or the processor or something altogether different. Does anyone have any clue if my description sounds like the noise others have had? Thanks for any tips.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 06:12 AM

I would guess it may be the PS issue, but there have been *loads* of threads on this, some including sound clips to aid diagnosis...

Worth a forum search.

Peace.

unimaxium  (op)
Sep 27, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I would guess it may be the PS issue, but there have been *loads* of threads on this, some including sound clips to aid diagnosis...

Worth a forum search.

Peace.
Ok, will do. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules