Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Toshiba 80G or Hitachi 80G/4200 or 5400

Toshiba 80G or Hitachi 80G/4200 or 5400
macmango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 11:16 AM

My IBM 48GB hard drive is malfunctioning in my TiBook 400 Mhz. I am considering an upgrade to an 80GB hard drive and need some recommendations as to the following:

1) 4200 or 5400 RPM (can my 400 Mhz PB even utilize the faster speed of the 5400 rpm?)

2) Toshiba or Hitachi 80GB

I've read good reports on the Hitachi, however their warranty is less than stellar. Toshiba has an advance replacement program for hard drives; IBM/Hitachi does not (therefore requiring me to buy another hard drive to clone to before I send it in for repair).

I also tried to find comparisons before posting this but could not find any clear comparisons of the 4 drives.

Thanks for any help/insight you can give.

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 09:56 PM

Why not go the whole way and get the Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM model??

macmango  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 03:45 AM

I was told that because of the limitations of the TI 400 mhz other hardware, a 7200 rpm drive would be overkill and its speed would not be fully utilized.

Originally posted by iSilver:
Why not go the whole way and get the Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM model??

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by macmango:
I was told that because of the limitations of the TI 400 mhz other hardware, a 7200 rpm drive would be overkill and its speed would not be fully utilized.
Ummm, I am not sure about that.

What I do know is that a faster HD would significantly speed up a computer. Everytime you access the HD would be faster, that includes opening programs, boot up, Finder, and daily applications.

So I think I would go for 5400, I am not sure about the battery life usage on the 7200. Plus I think the extra 20GB would be nice.

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 08:16 AM

Re the 7200RPM Drive, check out this website for review and comparison of the drives you mentioned:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard34.html

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 09:03 AM

I would side with the Hitachi - from my experience. I have 20G Travelstar (5400) and swear by it. I can actually hear my watch tic! (it's so quiet) . I will go with them unless otherwise proven (thus my concerns with new PBs - they are using Fujitsus). Travelstars have the 60G + 80G 5400 vers. (all with 8 MB cache). That would be enough to fly along. A little scared of trying the 7200... so much speed/heat! But worth a shot - and I'm not sure why they would have been told to hold back and that your TiBook would not handle it. Heard nothing of the sort. I would suggest a good cooling set-up if you did the 7200 - my TiBook used to get hot w/o it.

H!
--
En Guarde!

Forum Links
Forum Rules