Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How much force do I have to use to install a DIMM?!?!

How much force do I have to use to install a DIMM?!?!
johnzoidberg
Jul 5, 2005, 08:17 PM

Today, I installed a second DIMM in my 17-inch Rev. B iMac G5. I don't know how much force I had to use, but it took me 15 minutes to insert the RAM stick into the second slot. I made sure it was the right RAM stick and that it was aligned to the notch properly, and everything else. But it just too SO MUCH FORCE to insert the card. Finally, the clips snapped into place. I was wondering, did it take a LOT of force to install a second RAM stick for you guys? I could have damaged my iMac because I pushed so hard to get the stick into the slot? It works great now, and I ran and passed the Apple Hardware Test, but I'm afraid I could have cracked something.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2005, 10:41 PM

Well, not having seen it myself, I can't say for certain, but generally speaking, inserting memory (and PCI cards, sometimes) requires a lot more force than many people expect. Chances are, it was perfectly normal. It's OK even for the board to flex a bit during insertion.

tooki

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2005, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Well, not having seen it myself, I can't say for certain, but generally speaking, inserting memory (and PCI cards, sometimes) requires a lot more force than many people expect. Chances are, it was perfectly normal. It's OK even for the board to flex a bit during insertion.

tooki
Yup, I'll echo tooki's comments.

I've installed a few RAM sticks myself and some take quite a significant pressure to insert. Since it's been running fine, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2005, 05:20 AM

You noted that the module's notch was aligned to the guide post on the slot, and that's the most important thing (other than ensuring you've got the right type of RAM). Sometimes you need to seat one side of the module and then the other side, as opposed to trying to insert it with even pressure on both sides.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

johnzoidberg  (op)
Jul 6, 2005, 12:20 PM

I do wonder about how much force the board can actually take, and how reliable the RAM slots are soldered onto the logic board. Because I was pushing pretty hard with every ounce of strength I had, (I don't think I'm a particularly weak person, either ) and the card would still not snap into the slot. I think it finally went it when I tried it at a very slightly different angle.

The manual totally did not prepare me about how hard it was going to be.

cambro
Senior User
Jul 6, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by johnzoidberg
I think it finally went it when I tried it at a very slightly different angle.
Ding Ding! We have a winner.

It's all about the English man! Most of the time you're better off trying different angles with the same force rather than just pushing harder and harder.

Even when you do get the angle right, though, it definitely does require more force than you might expect.

johnzoidberg  (op)
Jul 6, 2005, 08:33 PM

Yeah, not the smartest thing to do. But in my defense, it still took painful amounts of pressure to press it into place even at the right angle.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2005, 01:25 PM

It sometimes takes a little finesse to get ram into a slot. There could have been a burr or a dent in the slot that was resisting you. That, or it was so NEW, that it was just on the low end of the spec limits for its dimensions.

Go ahead, remove it and insert it a few more times. It'll get easier (a little).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules