Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shut Down Problems

Shut Down Problems
pbook28
Jul 10, 2005, 04:45 PM

I've been using Tiger since it came out and recently, when I go to shut down my 15" Alum, it takes almost 30 seconds before the circle thing comes up and then shuts down. I've tried repairing permissions and reparing the disk via disk utility, but it doesn't find any errors. Does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks

johnzoidberg
Jul 10, 2005, 05:53 PM

Do you happen to be a .Mac member and have automatic iDisk syncing turned on? I have this issue and it's because of Apple's awful, horrible, no-good, unreliable local iDisk syncing implementation.

pbook28  (op)
Jul 10, 2005, 06:37 PM

Nope, I'm not a .mac member.

johnzoidberg
Jul 10, 2005, 06:47 PM

Do you also have this same lag when you try to log out? Ever since OS X, shutting down/logging out have always taken much longer for me, so I'm not totally sure if it's a real problem. I wonder what others have to say about this.

pbook28  (op)
Jul 10, 2005, 06:55 PM

I just tested for logout-login, and it took a while also. I wonder what could be causing this?

johnzoidberg
Jul 10, 2005, 07:01 PM

I'm guessing a couple of background processes (there are a few...) need time to quit when logging out. I miss the days of the classic Mac OS, when your system shuts down within seconds of selecting it in the Special menu.
( Last edited by johnzoidberg; Jul 11, 2005 at 12:06 AM. Reason: grammatical)

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 01:16 AM

At least you don't have an m-audio card that prevents the computer from shutting down entirely.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules