Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini weight countdown!!!

Mac mini weight countdown!!!
stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 11:07 PM

Ok. i went to the doctor today and found out I was about 10-15lbs overweight. So I talked to my dad, and he said that if I lose 15lbs, I'm getting A $700 SUPERDRIVE Mac mini!!! So countdown with me!

Current weight: 160
Target weight: 145

Help me with any weight loss tips and countdown with me!!!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

bembol
Aug 10, 2005, 11:11 PM

Damn...

Good luck!

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 11:33 PM

3,500 calories=1 pound of fat.

Burn more calories than you take in and the weight will come off.

Also, www.caloriesperhour.com is a great resource for seeing how many calories are burned for ANY possible activity.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 11:35 PM

Eat right and exercise are the two best things you could do to kick some weight off. I take it you are under 30 y/o so you should be good to go. The older you get the harder it gets

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 11:44 PM

thanks guys!!!
8GB iPhone

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2005, 11:57 PM

When you go to weigh yourself.. do not have breakfast or drink anything. Make sure you go to the bathroom before.. that would be a 1-1.5 pounds advantage.

Also.. dont ask why.. long story.. but walking brings the heartbeat to a pace that makes your body burn fat. If you jog your body instead will build muscle which will in turn tone your body, but will maintain certain weight. So since the objective is to LOOSE weight.. just walk 25 minutes 3 times a week. You will loose weight fast.

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 12:04 AM

thanks!!!
8GB iPhone

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 12:07 AM

Weightwatchers. Seriously.

I always thought it was the domain of fat, desperate middle-aged women. Then I lost 40lbs in 8 weeks.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 12:10 AM

Processed white sugar is one of the worst culprits of weight gain.

Avoid sugar in the form of sodas, cakes, ice cream etc.

As a start, try substituting water with a twist of lemon for sodas. Try taking you coffee with no sugar.

Good luck and hope you;ll be enjoying your Mini soon!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
Processed white sugar is one of the worst culprits of weight gain.

Try taking you coffee with no sugar.
You have lost your mind

uicandrew
Senior User
Aug 11, 2005, 12:39 AM

cut virtually all fast food. even the salads. the salad dressing can have more calories than the burgers.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 11, 2005, 12:44 AM

Rig the scale. ( A little bit every week )

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by discotronic
You have lost your mind
No I haven't.

I take my coffee with cream and 2 cubes.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 05:10 AM

All this advice for free - here's mine!

Get a bike, cycle (or walk) everywhere. Once purchased a bike is a free gym with built in transport and it only uses time you would be driving/on a bus/on a train - I always consider gyms a waste of time, money and energy (why don't gym users generate power for the gym????)

Don't use a car for journeys less than 5 miles.

Use the stairs.

Do things that normally you cannot be bothered to do e.g. making bed, tidying up etc.

Get busy with something mildy physical (stacking logs, stacking shelves) which you really enjoy - if you really enjoy it you'll forget about snacks and only notice real hunger.

Stay offline (OK this is the diffcult one) Only use your computer when it is dark or for real work.

And lastly - this one I was told recently and I'm still trying to do it - drink water by sipping, if you have been dehydrated for a long time apparently gulping large quantites of water is like pouring water onto damp clay - most of it does not get absorbed and just bounces off. I'm not sure of the scientific validity of this but it made some sense to me.

Good luck.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 07:30 AM

Come on fatty, you can do it
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 12:06 PM

well i mean the first thing you have to do is look at your diet. if you eat alot of packaged foods and sugars then you're basically ****ign yourself over because sugar turns immediately into fat and also because packaged food is interested in you buying more not in your actually getting your nutrinoional needs met. the keywords to avoid with packaged food are high-fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. both essentially operate to keep the pounds on.

in addition to that do cardio excercises.

how old are you b/c it makes a difference in your exercise regime.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 02:54 PM

To me, losing weight is really just a mathematics game; use more calories than you take in and you will lose weight.

Back in 2002, I went from 206 pounds to 154 pounds. I walked/jogged 3 miles four times a week and watched my calorie intake. But when my wife got pregnant in late 2002, I started eating with her and I am now back at my high weight.

I think keeping it off is probably harder than losing it. But good luck on your iBook.
Agent69

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
Ok. i went to the doctor today and found out I was about 10-15lbs overweight. So I talked to my dad, and he said that if I lose 15lbs, I'm getting A $700 SUPERDRIVE Mac mini!!! So countdown with me!

On what did your "Doctor" base his opinion that you were "overweight"?

I just re-read this....

BMI?
<cough> BS </cough>

Do you look overweight? Do you feel like your weight is holding you back?
What exactly does your Father think is going to happen if you lose 10 to 15 lbs?

Are you pudgy?
Losing weight does nothing!
Go exercise and change your body if that is what is necessary. You won't be losing much weight but your body fat percentage will go down...

I can't stand it when Doctors suggest weight loss like this. If you have to lose 25 to 30 lbs, then maybe I can reason you are obese... but 10 to 15? You can lose that in 3 weeks, but it won't be healthy...

Tell your idiot doctor to shove his opinion up his arse along with yoru father's.

Go on an exercise program with a healthy diet of fruit, nuts, protein, and some high quality multigrain bread and veges.... tell your dad, you will stay on this routine for life if you can get the computer now....

Being fit and lowfat is not a short term goal thing, it's a life long thing... so this short term goal crap is not helping at all!!!!

Later.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 05:08 PM

Oh when you weigh in do not wear jeans.. those weigh more than cotton pants (like dockers). Also.. you gotta eat fiber.. All Bran. Taste is bad, but you will be amazed of that darn thing cleans you up inside.

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 05:12 PM

Also eating fiber takes longer to digest (although technically it's never actually "digested"). This is good because: 1) it keeps you feeling full longer, and 2) it requires your body to burn more energy (calories) to process fiber.

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 08:02 PM

Thanks guys!!!. I've already lost a lb!!!!
8GB iPhone

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
On what did your "Doctor" base his opinion that you were "overweight"?

I just re-read this....

BMI?
<cough> BS </cough>

Do you look overweight? Do you feel like your weight is holding you back?
What exactly does your Father think is going to happen if you lose 10 to 15 lbs?

Are you pudgy?
Losing weight does nothing!
Go exercise and change your body if that is what is necessary. You won't be losing much weight but your body fat percentage will go down...

I can't stand it when Doctors suggest weight loss like this. If you have to lose 25 to 30 lbs, then maybe I can reason you are obese... but 10 to 15? You can lose that in 3 weeks, but it won't be healthy...

Tell your idiot doctor to shove his opinion up his arse along with yoru father's.

Go on an exercise program with a healthy diet of fruit, nuts, protein, and some high quality multigrain bread and veges.... tell your dad, you will stay on this routine for life if you can get the computer now....

Being fit and lowfat is not a short term goal thing, it's a life long thing... so this short term goal crap is not helping at all!!!!

Later.

I hate posting on these forums because of jackasses like you. And dont you EVER EVER EVER talk about my father like that or I will personaly hunt you down. and my doctor based my weight on the average weight for kids my age. theyre supposed to weigh 145 and that is a healthy weight. Anything above that is a bad weight. And I love how stupid people think they are smarter than doctors. I just love it. And its not a short term goal. My dads just giving me a reason to get started. So screw off. "Smarter than a doctor" budster101. and i personally think you are a disgrace to Osama bin Laden.
8GB iPhone

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
cut virtually all fast food. even the salads. the salad dressing can have more calories than the burgers.
I really, REALLY wish this wasn't true, but it is! Salad dressing often has a lot of gunk in it that makes it taste better, but adds fat and calories. I've used stuff like salsa on salads, and there's always a light vinegrette-just mix a little light oil with some nice cooking vinegar (or balsamic vinegar, which tastes better) and add some salt and pepper.

And while all the advice about when and how to weigh yourself and what to wear sounds like it would be helpful, it really only helps on a one-off basis. Establish a repeatable pattern when you weigh yourself, and the number you come up with will be more accurate.

Whatever methodology you use to lose weight, BUILD IT INTO YOUR DAILY SCHEDULE. Really-having a very well established routine makes it much easier to both eat better (smaller portions and better selections) and exercise regularly. You do need to do both.

Stick with it, don't let any temporary setbacks (and there almost certainly WILL be some of these) distract or depress you, and tell us how your new Mini looks when you unwrap it!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 09:57 PM

Edited out completely: Sorry you feel that way kid. I do know more than most doctors, and I think I feel strongly about parents being a bit too trusting of doctors opinions on their children's weight... If I knew more information, I could probably be more helpful, but I don't believe in the BMI / Chart for anyone. It doesn't work.

As for this:

"I think you are an insult to Osamma Bin Laden"

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I do know you have some anger issues to work out.
( Last edited by budster101; Aug 11, 2005 at 10:12 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 10:33 PM

Try this: NOTHING deep fried for 60 days. No french fries, etc. "Baked" food will be your mantra.

And, believe it or not, Subway.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 10:56 PM

Ok. i went to the doctor today and found out I was about 10-15lbs overweight.
You went to the Doctor to find out if you were overweight?

So I talked to my dad, and he said that if I lose 15lbs
By all means, lose the weight so you can get a computer... not because it's maybe good for you.
Even though it really is a non-issue. Weight means little in the long run. (10-15lbs)

I'm getting A $700 SUPERDRIVE Mac mini!!! So countdown with me!

Sure. Yeah. Let's all start that countdown!

Didn't your Doctor or Dad give you any suggestions?
I mean, they are the experts right? Why would you take the word of anyone in here over them?
Oh, wait, YOU ASKED FOR ADVICE....

Here is some for you: Go to the doctor and get your Dad's copay back, or at least get an exercise program from the doctor. What? You say, your doctor doesn't do that?....

Huh... Maybe have your Dad spring for a personal trainer too.

johnzoidberg
Aug 12, 2005, 12:31 AM

and i personally think you are a disgrace to Osama bin Laden.
Wow. Not even touching that with a ten-foot pole.

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 11:32 AM

Good luck stwain! Hope you get the mini soon.

As for my $0.02.....

Whilst budster 'kinda' has some good points, he has completely cocked up getting them across, so let me try to rehash.

Basically, most Dr's agree that the BMI scale is obsolete, however. it does give a rough indication as to whether someone is overweight/obese/whatever. It's basically just a good place to start. Your Dr should have also measured your body fat %. This varies quite a bit between people, and is much higher in women than men.

Loosing 15lbs should be a fairly easy thing to do, (imagine if you were ill for a weekend, loosing 7-8lbs would be normal). However, you will bounce back fairly quickly if you dont' stick to your new diet/exercise regime.

It would be much more sensible to aim to keep this weight off for say 6 months, after which it will be easier to keep it off. Another option is to aim for a reduction in your body fat %, depending on what you are at the moment, I'd recommend loosing about 5%B.F. You should aim, in the long term, and depending on your build for something in the low teens.

What it is critical to remember is:
1) No single option will work alone (and keep you healthy), you should use a combination of a change in diet/exercise.
2) Muscle weighs more than fat! If you go to the gym, don't start lifting weights or doing serious CV exercise. (But, lifting weights would help reduce your BF %).

If you are heading for the gym, get a member of staff to give you an induction, tell them what you are trying to do. Also, do a maximum heart rate test. Theres a myriad of ways to do this, and the staff will help you. Then, work out what 55% of this is - i.e a HRmax of 200 would give you a 55% value of 110. Cardiovascular exercise should be in this range +/- 10 for about 45 minutes at least 4 times a week. The weight will just drop off, trust me. Working at a higher intensity will improve muscle strength, thus increasing weight (muscle more than fat remember).

Hope this helps. PM me if you want any more advice/help.

Tom.
What are you looking for? A signature?

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2005, 12:26 PM

DON'T GET THE MAC WITH THE SUPERDRIVE!

Seriously, it sucks. Any kind of DVDs I get I can only burn at 2x.

I had to buy an external 8x DVD writer and believe me, it works so much better, supports more formats and is the same price as the superdrive upgrade. The added bonus is you get two DVD drives, which is always handy in case one goes wrong.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TomHMeredith
Good luck stwain! Hope you get the mini soon.

As for my $0.02.....

Whilst budster 'kinda' has some good points, he has completely cocked up getting them across, so let me try to rehash.
I apologize for coming across as harsh. I really do want to help, but it irritates me, this whole reasoning behind the supposed need for shear weight loss. It doesn't seem very healthy.

Basically, most Dr's agree that the BMI scale is obsolete, however. it does give a rough indication as to whether someone is overweight/obese/whatever. It's basically just a good place to start. Your Dr should have also measured your body fat %. This varies quite a bit between people, and is much higher in women than men.
I don't think BMI was created to tell someone to lose 10 or 15 lbs.

If the doctor had measured his body fat percentage then he wouldn't be telling him to lose 10 to 15 lbs, as you should already know. It's not about weight, when discussing 10 to 15 pounds... It's about getting in shape, and offsetting the fat weight with the muscular lean body mass. It's obvious he didn't do a bodyfat analysis. BMI is not a good place to start, as it's nonsense.

Loosing 15lbs should be a fairly easy thing to do, (imagine if you were ill for a weekend, loosing 7-8lbs would be normal). However, you will bounce back fairly quickly if you dont' stick to your new diet/exercise regime.
You 'kind' of have a point here. Sorry for the sarcasm. It's really easy to lose 10 to 15lbs, especially if you want a computer... I could do it in two weeks, and it won't be healthy either... That's my main point and frustration with his father. Inspiring someone to lose the weight to acquire something they desire is not bad, but if they are going to do it right it will take time and the weight isn't really the matter now is it? Do you see now the problem with the whole idea?

If he were my son, I'd say, I'll buy you the computer... but you have to promise to change your habbits. Eat right and exercise. Here, I'll spring for a trainer for a few months to get you started... Make him commit to a longer term goal, not some idiotic short-term goal that will have him gaining the weight back in the same amount of time.

And, I actually do know more than most doctors. Does that make me look good or them bad? Not too sure.

It would be much more sensible to aim to keep this weight off for say 6 months, after which it will be easier to keep it off. Another option is to aim for a reduction in your body fat %, depending on what you are at the moment, I'd recommend loosing about 5%B.F. You should aim, in the long term, and depending on your build for something in the low teens.
The thing is, he never even brought up the topic of body fat. You don't know what it is.
How can you in your right mind state he should lose 5 percent of his body fat? That's nuts.

The only thing you have said that is remotely sain here is "long term"... that's all.

What it is critical to remember is:
1) No single option will work alone (and keep you healthy), you should use a combination of a change in diet/exercise.
2) Muscle weighs more than fat! If you go to the gym, don't start lifting weights or doing serious CV exercise. (But, lifting weights would help reduce your BF %).
Again, what is his diet?
What is his activity level?
What is his build?
Any previous injuries? Spinal or Joints?
History of congenital heart disease?
Allergies?
Afflictions? Asthma?

I know I come across a bit harsh:
You have to know a few facts first before recommending anything.

LIFTING WEIGHTS reduces bodyfat? That's a first. If you lift weights while keeping your body in a state of aerobic activity then you'll burn fat while exercising, but if you lift weights without aerobic threshold traininig then you are working anaeorbically and not burning fat. Putting on more muscle will help you burn more fat if that is what you mean.

If he goes to the gym don't what? Do CV or WT? Why not? He was cleared by his doctor right?

Jump right in. Do you want a workout routine? The best thing you can do is pay a trainer for a few months and get their knowledge and routine customized for you and your goals, both short and long term. Any of the trainers that I know and have worked with don't like short term goals... Short term goals to them is making sure your body is strong enough to handle their workouts without injuring yourself. They'll pace you into a good routine you can take with you to achieve your personal goals. 10 to 15 lbs is not an impressive goal and is quite uninspiring, as it is almost a given if it is in fact your "Optimum lean body weight", which probably isn't achieved until later in life so why worry? Get another goal. Something that inspires. (Don't say some computer either).

What are your interests (besides computing)
Do you like sports of any kind?
You may discover a sport to add depth to your life and help achieve the other material goal.

If you are heading for the gym, get a member of staff to give you an induction, tell them what you are trying to do. Also, do a maximum heart rate test. Theres a myriad of ways to do this, and the staff will help you. Then, work out what 55% of this is - i.e a HRmax of 200 would give you a 55% value of 110. Cardiovascular exercise should be in this range +/- 10 for about 45 minutes at least 4 times a week. The weight will just drop off, trust me. Working at a higher intensity will improve muscle strength, thus increasing weight (muscle more than fat remember).

Hope this helps. PM me if you want any more advice/help.

Tom.
The doctor should do a Max test, should have been done to clear him for the gym.
As for the cardio range you speak of being at *55 percent of his VO2Max, I beg to differ and would place it slightly higher. Instead of using fancy formulas, just do this. Start your aeorobic workout to the point where you can't speak normally, and then taper off until you can. Check your heart rate. Guess what? That's in your target heart range. Top end.

45 minutes minimum, or your body is not gaining a thing. 45-60 minutes.

Wait, increasing muscle increases weight? Well then, he'll never get that computer.
See what I mean by the 'losing 10 to 15 lbs' nonsense? It's just that. Balogney.

Seriously good luck, and of course I hope you get the mini very soon, but because you are a good person, you deserve it and put forth a great effort for your future health.

*THR = Target Heart Rate is more likely to be 60 - 90% of your MHR for aerobic activity.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2005, 12:31 PM

15? Piece of cake.

My wife lost (so far) 102 pounds on Weight Watchers and obsessive exercise.
I've lost about 62 pounds the same way.

I'm a cycling fanatic, I have a road racer, mountain bike, commuter bike.

Ride to work or school, ride recreationally, either road or mountain will
take off the weight quick.

Ride to work and back or 2 hours after work/school and eat less and move more
and you'll have it in no time.

You might even have a new obsession/hobby. Riding is that way for me.

-Todd, 7600+ miles later.

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2005, 01:28 PM

edit
( Last edited by stwain2003; Aug 12, 2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: nunya)
8GB iPhone

kick52
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 01:38 PM

good luck! keep us posted with your weight!

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2005, 03:59 PM

budster

I fail to see the point in arguing and getting petty over this. My suggestions were only to give him a place to start and were not meant as a definitive guide as to what stwain should do. When I suggested that a loss of 5% BF may be a place to start, I was going on the assumption that, as the Dr suggested he loose weight then he would have a higher than average body fat.

The best course of action would indeed be to go and get a personal trainer, even if its only for a few hours. They will tailor a programme to suit him and try to ensure that any gains are long term, not just short term to get the computer.

None of us can argue this properly, as without knowing more about him we are kinda in the dark!

Tom.
What are you looking for? A signature?

budster101
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 04:21 PM

Petty?

You don't even know his current body fat percentage, and a host of other things. You can't know what you are talking about if you are going to give him advice like you did. That is not being petty.

The Dr. suggested to lose 10 to 15lbs based on what? BMI...

Yeah, we are in the dark, except we know he is going to go and lose weight, maybe muscle because he was told he has to by a doctor using BMI. So. he. can. get. a. computer. from. his. equally. ignorant. father.

The kid could have a freaking heart attack for all I know, so I'm not going to recommend that he does anything but go back to that doctor and get the following.

- Blood Pressure
- Resting Heart Rate
- VO2 Max
- History
- Allergies
- Activity Level (historical, and present)
- Current Diet
- Body Fat Percentage

I wouldn't put it past a doctor to tell the kid what he wanted to hear as long as it wouldn't kill him. I mean we already know his father thinks he needs to lose weight, and he wants the computer, so dad bribes kid, kid convinces doctor, and doctor obliges.

And guess what? Everyone else in here has just ignored these basic facts in leu of prompting him onward!

Hey kid, go for it, don't screw yourself up for a $700 computer.

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2005, 01:05 PM

Well, I've lost about 2.5 lbs, so I'm at 157.5!!! Slowly but surely. And plus, even if I dont lose 15 lbs, im helping my heart.
8GB iPhone

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 01:15 PM

You should sync your diet with Apple's product cycle.

Anyway, good luck!

budster101
Baninated
Aug 15, 2005, 01:18 PM

So you lost 2.5 lbs in 5 days.

15 lbs can be lost in 30 days.

What is the problem? You aren't really doing your heart any good by losing weight that way. So, don't kid yourself or us. You have not lost much of that weight in fat as it's mostly water, muscle and fat. Most likely if you are starving yourself and exercising you have actually canabalized muscle in leu of fat, and lost water weight.

I hope you are exercising and eating right, and if you are, then you will not be losing 15 in 30 days, because you have lost almost all water weight and will be gaining muscle, which in the long run, is in fact, good for your heart, and for your metabolism, so you will definately lose the weight, but it may take you more realistically 60 to 120 days.

Good luck to you.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 03:21 PM

I think you need the flabjab

http://www.flabjab.net/

Kyros
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2005, 06:37 PM

Drink as little water/liquid as you can without fainting for a few days, you'll lose weight real fast that way.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

budster101
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 11:28 PM

That's not really very funny. He could die if he has a congenital heart problem.

I'd suggest he doesn't take any advice offered in this forum, and finds out in person from a professional.

Forum Links
Forum Rules