Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook 3400c can anyone tell me about it

powerbook 3400c can anyone tell me about it
knight in ink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2005, 08:31 PM

ok I have always been a mac person so the other day when I found a Powerebook 3400c at a garage sale for 25 bucks I bought it even thought the guy selling it said he had no idea if it worked (no power cord) it had belonged to his son at some point and he said it had been collecting dust for a year or two.

ok so I pulled a power cord I had that matches up to the specs for the 3400 c and hooked it up.

I haven’t found the power key
now it doesn’t seem to power up (no mac chime) but it sounds like there is a low power hum and the cap locks key lights up ...

now I use an I Book 500 normally and Im comfortable enough with it that I dissembled it and replaced the 10 gig hard drive with a 100 gig hard drive but Ill be darned if I can even figure out where the power switch or reset is on the 3400c.

I have tried to look up info on it but there seems to be some sort of cross over with this model I keep finding documents about it being a G3 while others say nothing about it being any thing more then the end of the pre g3 line of laptops.

any body out there tell me anything about this thing.????????????????

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2005, 09:04 PM

http://www.apple-history.com/

That has the technical specs, though I've never owned one so I can't say much about it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

bighead
Senior User
Aug 28, 2005, 04:32 PM

If I remember correctly from my 3400 days, the power button is the top-right button on the keyboard with the triangle on it, where the eject key is on current machines.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

samm
Aug 31, 2005, 02:33 PM

The first powerbook G3 was essentially a 3400 case with a G3 processor. The original powerbook 3400's came with a 180, 200, or 240 MHz 603e processor I think. I have one at home that does not power up with a powercord or battery.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 04:01 PM

my roommate has one... but I dunno anything about it...

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 31, 2005, 05:52 PM

try this link, the rar archive is split into three parts and you'll need a utility like UnRAR X to extract it.

hth,

mishakim
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 10:10 PM

one cool thing I remember about the 3400 was that it had a single RJ-45 port for both modem and ethernet - whichever you plugged in, it worked, with a Y-cable for when you needed both. There must have been some problem with that though, since every powerbook since has had separate RJ-45 and RJ-11 jacks.

As for turning it on, I don't remember.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 10:34 PM

Not a bad computer if you need something for light typing on the road. Otherwise its a bit old to do a lot of things. E-mail and typing. Thats about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules