Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Anyone know of a Mac alternative to Miracle-C?

Anyone know of a Mac alternative to Miracle-C?
AristonCC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 04:10 PM

I am taking classes at the University of Phoenix and they need us to have a C compiler for one of the classes. They provide a licence for Miracle-C, but since I'm up on a Mac, I need to find an alternative C compiler. I have no clue of Objective C that comes with Mac OSX is the same as the C language used in Miracle-C so I'm a little lost in terms of what software to use.

Here's a link to Miracle-C so you can see what I need to find an alternative for:

http://www.c-compiler.com/

Thanks!
--------------------
Ariston Collander
http://frenetictech.blogspot.com
--------------------
"No one person's opinions could be said to be 'truer' than another's. For each is the sole judge of his or her own experiences." -Protagoras

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2005, 05:29 PM

developer tools CD has gcc.

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 06:19 PM

Assuming that Miracle-C holds fairly close to the C standard, and that you are not going to be using any non-standard libraries (who knows?), then gcc (and XCode which wraps around it) will work fine for development. However, there are a few things to note:

Any compiler compiles for its environment (this is a generalizations, so please don't bring up cross-compilers), so if you are expected to hand in compiled executables, you will have to compile on Windows with that compiler before you hand it in.

If they go outside the standard C library, then you will not be able to work on platforms you can't find those libraries on. Of course I would then question the value of the class because it would tie you to learning a non-standard methodology.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 09:01 PM

Why they use some third-party compiler instead of just telling everyone to use gcc is beyond me.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2005, 11:49 PM

gcc is a second-class citizen on Windows (must install cygwin and/or mingw first, etc).
Though Dev-C++ is a good Windows IDE based on gcc and mingw, and it's free, I suppose that could have been used.

Anyway, the equivalent on OS X is Xcode which is either already installed (in /Developer) or it's on your Mac OS X installation media.

AristonCC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 11:30 AM

I'm hoping it will just be a matter of handing in the code itself and not necessarily the executable from the code. We'll see. I'll check it Xcode and hope that will do the trick.

Thanks!
--------------------
Ariston Collander
--------------------
"No one person's opinions could be said to be 'truer' than another's. For each is the sole judge of his or her own experiences." -Protagoras

AristonCC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 10:27 AM

Does anyone know if CodeWarrior for the Mac will compile C programs to EXEs that can be executed on a Windows box? Apparently University of Phoenix is pretty anal about requiring Microsoft. Instead of having to setup a Windows machine with a C compiler, I'd love to use a Mac based IDE that can compile to EXEs.

Kind of a strang request, but I just really don't want to do anything on a Windows machine.

Thanks,
--------------------
Ariston Collander
--------------------

samm
Sep 13, 2005, 03:21 PM

Compiling your code using CodeWarrior or Xcode to product a Windows executable is not possible to my knowledge. If the professor for this course does not let you turn in source code I would bring this up with the department chair, or ask yourself why you are taking such a course.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by AristonCC
Does anyone know if CodeWarrior for the Mac will compile C programs to EXEs that can be executed on a Windows box? Apparently University of Phoenix is pretty anal about requiring Microsoft. Instead of having to setup a Windows machine with a C compiler, I'd love to use a Mac based IDE that can compile to EXEs.

Kind of a strang request, but I just really don't want to do anything on a Windows machine.
It's not possible to cross-compile without quite a lot of trouble, as far as I know. But they should take your source code and compile it themselves. A programming class where you turn in EXEs is boneheaded.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

AristonCC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 05:10 PM

My sentiments exactly. What I've resigned myself to doing is writing the code in Xcode and then compiling to make sure it works. I then copy and paste the code into an email to myself that I can check on my Windows box and compile there to hand in. Xcode is a much nicer interface than Miracle-C so I'm trying to do as much work as possible on my Mac before compiling in Windows.

Thanks for the help!
--------------------
Ariston Collander
--------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules