Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes dividing album in two?

iTunes dividing album in two?
rasmusnet
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2005, 12:19 PM

When importing music to iTunes, what if an album is for some reason being devided in two by iTunes, is there a way to merge the two? A way to copy the tracks from the one album over "into" the other??
Do you know what I mean?
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2005, 01:40 PM

iTunes groups albums together solely by album name.

Lets say you're importing a 2-CD set. iTunes will likely give each CD a different album name, appending "Disc 1" or something like that to the end. It will also start numbering each CD's tracks with "1". You would like to have both CD's in the same album set, with all the tracks in the proper order.

You need to edit the track numbering for the second disc -- hit "Get Info" on the first disc, change the track number and total tracks number to the proper value, then hit "next" to go to the next track. After that, If you select all the songs in an album and hit "Get Info", you can change the value in the "album" field for all the selected songs. If you change it to the same name as Disc 1 (or change both discs to the same name), then iTunes will group them together.

I do this all the time because I select albums by artist, and if there's a track on a CD with a guest artist, iTunes will list the artist as "Foobar Band & Guest". When I select "Foobar Band", this track doesn't show up, so I change the name if the track to make everything match.

rasmusnet  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2005, 01:58 PM

Thank you Dork. :-)
It seems a typo had slipped in so that the album got divided.
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Forum Links
Forum Rules