Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iTunes Visuals on my G4-400 sux? Does it for you?

iTunes Visuals on my G4-400 sux? Does it for you?
GetSome681
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2001, 02:19 PM

On my G4-400, I play a song in iTunes, allocating I think 15MBs to it, and in the large presentation I get about max 7 fps, and in full screen I get max 8-9 fps? This really blows...I mean, I remember in the freshman dorms a year ago my roommate would use winamp, and the visuals looked great, no delay or slowness? What's up? Anyone out there experience the same/or different? And what machines? Do I have to go purchase a DP500 just to get 30 fps listening to my mp3s? Come on Apple, this is ridiculous.

Mighty Hetfield
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 07:49 PM

There's gotta be something wrong with your setup, buddy. I also have a G4-400 - 128MB and the full screen visuals look fine. I don't know for sure but something must be slowing down your processor (like an AntiVirus program) or maybe you should update your firmware. Reinstalling iTunes wouldn't hurt either.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I can guarantee you the G4 ain't your problem. By the way, I'm curious, how did you figure out you're only getting 8 fps?

Paulos
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 04:08 AM

I have a G4/400 too, and I have to agree with GetSome... iTunes visuals are appallingly slow. and I've seen it running on lots of macs.

GetSome681  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 02:45 PM

Here's the down-low!
-In order to tell the fps, when you are running the visualizer, on the upper right of the itunes window, there is like a little green/red/yellowish thingy. It says options. If you clikc on that while the visualizer is running, it gives you options to display the fps rate, and some other options....
Running iTunes, and nothing else taking away processor time..I know this b/c I have a processor app running that displays where the processor cycles are going...and it's pretty much all iTunes.
Also, I am running my screen at a resolution of 1280x1024, and my iTunes window is about 5/8 the size of the entire screen.

With the visualizer set on Large, not full screen, I get 6-7 fps

With the visualizer set on Medium, not full screen, I get 11-12 fps.

With the visualizer set on Small, not full screen, I get 24-30 fps.

With the visualizer set on Large, and FULL Screen, I get 11-12 fps.

Now this is absolute crap. I don't want to watch my visuals at the small setting..first of all, it looks stupid, and I just don't get it? Someone, please tell me where Apple has screwed up on this one?

Archangel
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 05:30 PM

Are you in X? If you are that's probably the reason since it isn't accelerated very much. The framerates you posted are roughly what I get in X, but I easily get double that in 9. If you are in 9.1 something is messed up with your system.

GetSome681  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 05:49 PM

Yes, that is in 9.1. And I'm not really sure about anything being wrong with my system, as I only installed it (initializing the hard drive) about a month ago, and can't find anything wrong, or at least Norton says so? Anyone have any ideas?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2001, 05:50 AM

Get SoundJam MP and G-force visualizer instead. Or use the stand-alone version with iTunes. That should give you better rates. The visualizer in iTunes is just an old beta of G-force anyways...
http://www.55ware.com/

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules