Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Black MacBook Pro Special Editioin

Black MacBook Pro Special Editioin
mmintler
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 01:50 PM

Maybe someone here can clear this up for me... A co-worker claims to have been one of the first 10 people at the NY 5th Ave. Apple Store opening.

He also claims that the first 25 people got free "Special Editions" numbered laptops. He says its black which made me think it was a MacBook but he claims it has a 15" screen and very thin which sounds more like a MacBook Pro...

He also said they were giving huge 30% discounts on harware and software at the opening...
He says he'll bring in the Mac next week to show me.

Is he full of crap?
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 02:45 PM

macbook.

he can say whatever he wants, they gave out macbooks at the store...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 02:53 PM

He's full of ****. The first 10 people in line for the Apple Store waiting in line in the rain for 2 days straight. Did your coworker come to work the 17th-19th?

The free laptops he's referring to is a raffle. Every hour for the first 24 hours Apple gave away 1 MacBook an hour. Pictures are here:

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/winners.html

mmintler  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 04:47 PM

He was in NY during the opening and claims to have gotten a free Book for being among the first 10 people in line.

He also claimed that because of the rain ... Apple was handing out fresh tshirts and umbrellas to people in line.

I don't know this guy very well... I have a feeling the truth is that he waited in line...heard some rumor about some macbooks being given away but never got the whole story and finally bought one when he got in the store. The rest sounded like BS to me.

I pride myself on knowing the goings on of Apple events, rumors, etc..and hadn't heard this story- I was starting to doubt myself..lol
Albert Einstein

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 04:56 PM

Sorry no free MacBooks for the first 10 visitors. I work 2 blocks from the Apple store and watched the store opening online. I waited and went to the store Saturday and Sunday to avoid the mad house. Plus I bought a MBP a week ago and I'm not going to wait in the rain for hours for a chance to win a second laptop.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 07:40 PM

google is your friend.

1 macbook every hour for 24 hours.

now if i can just find one of those 24 people, and...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 07:50 PM

Bull. Although Steve loves black and it will probably return to the Pro line at some point sooner rather than later. Just a hunch.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 07:59 PM

well you can actually get a black MacBook pro. it's just not done by apple....
http://www.colorwarepc.com/

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
well you can actually get a black MacBook pro. it's just not done by apple....
http://www.colorwarepc.com/

picture of the black one

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/...okPro.aspx#Tab

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
Wow. Slick.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by mmintler
He was in NY during the opening and claims to have gotten a free Book for being among the first 10 people in line.

He also claimed that because of the rain ... Apple was handing out fresh tshirts and umbrellas to people in line.

I don't know this guy very well... I have a feeling the truth is that he waited in line...heard some rumor about some macbooks being given away but never got the whole story and finally bought one when he got in the store. The rest sounded like BS to me.

I pride myself on knowing the goings on of Apple events, rumors, etc..and hadn't heard this story- I was starting to doubt myself..lol
i was there, and apple didnt give anyone crap because of the rain, i was complaining about that very thing, i had stayed up all night when mr. miyamoto was in town at the nintendo world store and we were given pizza and drinks. i was noting how even though they have more money, and more people out their they were so trite.

now the line and everything was soooo disorganized that it was near impossible for them to know who had been there for 2 hours and who had not, let alone give them anything beyond a hearty had shake from steve jobs. he did give had shakes for the first few people, also the first 2k or so got free tee shirts. 24 people got laptops over the next 24 hours, one per hour, but those were WHITE. you can see pics of some of the winners on apples site.

i personally saw from a few feet away the first few people enter the store they were given handshakes from steve and tee shirts when they got down stairs but not laptops, sorry he is messing with you.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

dahcar
May 25, 2006, 10:50 AM

are you that gullible guy in the office that people tell stories to just to see if you believe them?

mmintler  (op)
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 06:10 PM

dahcar: LOL... no, I think this guy is trying to impress me. He doesn't really know anyone here yet...he's trying to bond or something.

Now I know he's just a bullshooter and won't believe anything he tells me-what a dork.
Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules