Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > itunes 1.1

itunes 1.1
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2001, 12:31 AM

i got it to burn a CD with my external drive (zipCD650), but then toast doesnt work so i cant burn a data CD. no workaround for it as far as i can tell and the text file that comes with 1.1 says to check with the manufacturer. so close and yet so far. ill just use toast 5.

scott

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 12:44 AM

1.1 doesn't work with my burner and it says on the apple site that it does. I have the QPS 8x4x32 Firewire drive.

I did what they said and disabled the toast ext's, but still no worky. When I go to the "advanced" section in iTunes it shows my internal iMac DVD drive. Hmmm....

The strange thing is when I put blank media in it gives me the message to prepare the disk for mac, itunes, or mp3, but after puting stuff in the image it creates and dragging it to the trash to burn, it says, something about the drive not being supported.

any suggestions, people?

dvarner
Feb 22, 2001, 12:59 AM

Works with my External ClubMac Plexwriter 12/10/32A. Disabled Toast per the instructions. Haven't tried to use it and won't need it for awhile. Hope this conflict gets resolved. Burning MP3's from iTunes is easy and awesome!

nevada
Feb 22, 2001, 01:25 AM

My machine would boot with a VST firewire harddrive attached with the itunes 1.1 loading didnt see teh external burner either so I cant burn data CD's. look like they sould have sone some testing on this one.

camera punk
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2001, 01:36 AM

i'm disapointed it doesn't support SCSI drives. My mechanism is supported, but appearently iTunes only supports it in USB of firewire flavors.

poocat
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 01:45 AM

ok... so, they gave me what i wanted, 3rd party support...

but...

i have to restart if i want to switch from itunes/toast?
why would i ever use itunes to burn w/ then?

(i mean, seriously)

sure, itunes is one-app burning/mp3/encoding.
that's why we're all so excited about it (and it's free, let's not forget that!)

but there HAS to be a way for it and toast to co-exist peacefully.
you know why?
because toast is a billion times more usefull than itunes,
and toast comes with every burner you buy.

so...
itunes should work with toast, instead of killing it.

just my little rant.
and yes, although i hate toast 4.x,
i'm hopping on the titanium (toast 5) bandwagon.

one thing i still love itunes for: editing massive numbers of mp3's.
so simple & easy!

all in all a great revision, it's just too bad it fights with the only other good program for cd burning.

keep trying.
(oh yeah. it still skips more than audion 2.1)

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 03:33 AM

Ah! Late night download of iTunes 1.1. Its a miracle, it works with my Iomega Zip CD650. At first I didn't see it in the compatible list on apple's site but finally noticed it after 5 minutes along side like Panasonic or something. Burning a CD now with no problem while online typing and viewing movie trailers. Lovely. I hope my Toast still works. Got 4.1. The new Ti 5 should work though, right?????
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2001, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by blizaine:
1.1 doesn't work with my burner and it says on the apple site that it does. I have the QPS 8x4x32 Firewire drive.

I did what they said and disabled the toast ext's, but still no worky. When I go to the "advanced" section in iTunes it shows my internal iMac DVD drive. Hmmm....

The strange thing is when I put blank media in it gives me the message to prepare the disk for mac, itunes, or mp3, but after puting stuff in the image it creates and dragging it to the trash to burn, it says, something about the drive not being supported.

any suggestions, people?
I had the same problem with the same drive on my G4. Unfortunately after I installed iTunes 1.1 and rebooted. my machine took a dump and I needed to reformat and re-instal 9.1l. now iTunes Burns to my drive when before it didn't even recognize my drive. Anyway that might be of help unfortunately havintg to reformat your drive could be more drastic than you want. Also everyone having trouble with Toast. No worries. Toast 5 titainum and iTunes play well together. I have been using a Beta and have been burning data with Toast 5 titanium
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Hervon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 11:27 AM

Hi Typoon,

You said Toast Titanium and iTunes live well together. Do you use a Firewire CDRW ? If so, what is your extension configuration ? I tried it and it was no go. Either itunes or Toast but not both.

ciao

poocat
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 12:40 PM

ok...
if someone understands this better, i'm all ears.

afaik, (and i have been fiddling w/ it since last night) itunes 1.1 and toast 5 don't work together.
i have a usb burner, and the extensions for both are on.

toast works like a charm.
burns in the background and everything.

itunes recognizes the drive when i go to "preferences>advanced"
but, when i load a playlist and hit "burn"
it thinks for a minute and then says "burner or software not found"

hmmm.

has anyone actually burned from itunes w/ the toast extension set on?
(any version of toast, b/c afaict, it doesn't matter from 4-5)

curious...

any ideas?
poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 02:41 PM

I have burned a couple of CD's using iTusnes, and DiskBurner with my Sony Firewire CDRW, connected to my iMac DV Lime.

I still had the toast extensions loading, but toast wouldn't find my CDRW. I think the extensions were disabled by the DiskBurner software during startup.

I have been using a hacked version of Disk Burner to record Data CD's and it seems to be working fine. If you want the DiskBurner hack, e-mail me and I will send it to you.

I am impressed with it so far though, apart from it only letting me record 580MB to a CD.

Adam

[This message has been edited by as2 (edited 02-22-2001).]
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 03:04 PM

I burned my first coaster last night. Thanks iTunes...

I never liked CD Master's (iTunes/Disc Burn) burn implementation. WTF would one buy a 8x burner when the computer takes 10 minutes to create an image--before it even starts to burn? Usually when I burn a CD, I can wait the few minutes for it to burn. But 30 minutes? Only for it to make a coaster? No thanks.

Man, I can't wait for Toast 5.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 11:19 PM

I've got Toast 4.1 and Ti 5 as well. I've never really used 5, just installed it so I'm sure the extensions are from 5. Toast 4.1 has still been working just fine. After the new iTunes install last night, it recorded a CD no problem. Oh oh, just checked both Toasts, and they both say no recorder found. Guess I need to install DiscBurner again. That's not updated though is it? If not, should it work 'cause iTunes now works?

What's the hack again? I did one originally. Is it the same one now with the finder 9.1.1 and CD master extensions?

itunes burns sloooow
Feb 22, 2001, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
I burned my first coaster last night. Thanks iTunes...

I never liked CD Master's (iTunes/Disc Burn) burn implementation. WTF would one buy a 8x burner when the computer takes 10 minutes to create an image--before it even starts to burn? Usually when I burn a CD, I can wait the few minutes for it to burn. But 30 minutes? Only for it to make a coaster? No thanks.
No kidding! The best solution is to use itunes to create a playlist and simply select all and drag it right over the toast window. Click burn and instead of waiting for bloody ever for itunes to prepare the tracks, toast cranks out the CD in no time. BTW although itunes works fine with my Que 8x firewire CDR there's no way I would ever use itunes to burn a CD.

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2001, 02:49 AM

What about a Que! USB? Mine didn't work with iTunes 1.1. Any ideas? Please?!?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 03:15 AM

Don't re-install disk burner. Toast still won't work.

To get toast to work again, just disable the disk burner extensions

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2001, 08:22 AM

I likethe technique of using iTunes fo rthe playlist then dragging to Toast, but I havenever been able to get a successful MP3 to audio CD burn with Toast. It always craps out right at the beginning and I have to restart. Plextor 12/10/32 in G4/400 (AGP). Any tips on Toast/MP3 errors?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 10:06 AM

I have to regress a bit. I had the Toast Extensions installed and that led to that coaster--methinks. I burned a CD fine after disabling them. Also, I tinkered with the Disc Burner hack (www.macfixit.com) last night and IT WORKS. Since Disc Burner now works, I have system-level CDRW support. While I will buy Toast 5 when available for OS X, I will use Apple's software until then. I still want to burn VCD's, Toast is required for that.

I tried everything to get the Disc Burner to fail--but it worked flawlessly in the background. I still hate the whole "write to image" method, but I guess it's necessary to do it this way.

Ogden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 12:48 PM

Does every Toast extention have to be off in order to burn with iTunes 1.1? I have an Iomega ZIPCD 650 too, but my iMac DV won't read the burner in iTunes. I've turned off every Toast extention I can find, but still nothing. This is very frustrating!!

Can someone help?
---- ogden ----

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2001, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Ogden:
Does every Toast extention have to be off in order to burn with iTunes 1.1? I have an Iomega ZIPCD 650 too, but my iMac DV won't read the burner in iTunes. I've turned off every Toast extention I can find, but still nothing. This is very frustrating!!

Can someone help?
i have a zipcd650 too and an ibook. when i installed itunes 1.1 (using the easy install, not the custom), i was automatically able to burn with itunes, and toast couldnt recognize the drive. the extension that matters there as to whether or not toast or itunes uses the drive is called "USB Authoring Support". if that extension is on, itunes uses the drive. if its off, toast uses the drive. check that out and let us know what happens.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by blizaine:
It works with my QPS 12x FW drive. Initially, 1.0 recognized my DVD drive, so when I updated to 1.1, it had the same drive listed in the Preferences. To fix this, I deleted the iTunes prefs from the system folder then reloaded it. I have successfully burnt 2 CDs.

I do not like iTunes burning nearly as much as Toast, it takes 3 times longer to burn the same songs. I suppose it's because Toast has DAO. Oh well, back to Toast.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
i have a zipcd650 too and an ibook. when i installed itunes 1.1 (using the easy install, not the custom), i was automatically able to burn with itunes, and toast couldnt recognize the drive. the extension that matters there as to whether or not toast or itunes uses the drive is called "USB Authoring Support". if that extension is on, itunes uses the drive. if its off, toast uses the drive. check that out and let us know what happens.
My USB ZipCD 650 works just fine with iTunes. I don't have any DiscBurner Extensions on anymore since I deleted it last time. Toast now own't work. I think that is it, that just en(dis)abling CD Authoring will switch between the 2 apps using the burner. I'm gonna try the DB hack tonight.

Fredo
Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 05:36 PM

Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules